Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does anyone pulse Chromolyn Sodium ? (Read 2582 times)
zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Does anyone pulse Chromolyn Sodium ?
01/30/13 at 07:08:49

Since there is some evidence that Chromolyn Sodium may become less effective over time, does anyone pulse their dose ?   If so, what has been the result ?   Did it seem effective, or not ?   Or did you even feel the need to pulse your dose ?

I was thinking maybe 3 months on, 1 month off (for a person who doesn't have a problem with shocking, that is).

Thanks,
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Does anyone pulse Chromolyn Sodium ?
Reply #1 - 01/30/13 at 16:48:00

I'm honestly curious... what's the evidence?  I've never read anything like this in the medical literature.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/30/13 at 21:58:27

I have been told something similar by a doctor regarding antihistamines, but don't have any published evidence. I think his comment was more that there is  anecdotal evidence that in some people they can become less effective if taken long term and it can help to rotate them and try a different version of each type. This would not work with gastrocom though since there aren't a range of similar products to rotate.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 02/01/13 at 10:27:37

I called the company to see what they'd say, and the product has recently changed ownership, so they couldn't tell me right now.  I've never seen anything about gastrocrom becoming less effective long term.  Actually, I've needed less now that I'm more stable.

In some people antihistamines can be less effective over time.  Then they need to switch to a different one.  I don't know that going on and off one will increase its effectiveness or not.

Joan

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/19/13 at 02:39:40

I heard this several times.  And a doctor told me this specifically (so it must be true, right ?  sarcasm).  I think he was referring to asthma.   Masto. may be different.  

Didn't mean to alarm anyone.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print