Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Massage - problems with or benefits of? (Read 2768 times)
Serbo
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Massage - problems with or benefits of?
01/24/13 at 11:03:19

Hi, I have pots/MCAD/EDS 3 etc, doing better now i'm on some allegra and Sodium cromoglycate.

I used to like a massage pre illness, left me feeling very chilled out afterwards.

I was bought a deep muscle massage for christmas (i'm a guy!), i go to the gym a few times a week to do weights so that kind of massage would be really good.

i know massage etc causes M cells to degranulate due to pressure. I had a phsyio loosen up tendons in my arm a while ago and that left me a bit dazed after.

Does any one on here get massages or regular physio with pressure applied to skin? any tips/do's or donts'. Perhaps there's a type of massage which might be more mast friendly?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Aaron

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Massage - problems with or benefits of?
Reply #1 - 02/01/13 at 10:37:39

I get a massage every other week.  It's important to have a massage therapist who can be gentle.  I like someone who can tell where I'm hurting by touch.  Sports massages are not good for me.  Swedish massage is good.  I didn't like hot stone massage either, because heat is a trigger.  I like them to use a good quality, unscented oil.  Some of them like the friction of no oil or lotion, but it's too irritating for me.  Scents in the room (candles, incense, etc.) can't be used as well as fabric softeners on the linens.  I talk about that ahead of time.

Usually when I go in for the first time, I explain a little about what I have(SM) and what I need.  If it's too rough, I'll have rebound tightness and pain.  If it's too gentle, I won't get any benefit.  Sounds like Goldilocks, doesn't it?  It's been helpful to find people who have years of experience.

I don't think massage helps me the same way it did before masto, but it does help.  I don't have a lot of skin issues, except sensitivity, so maybe that's why massage is helpful.

For the first time, I'd recommend taking extra meds before a massage, and clearing it with a physician before having one.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Massage - problems with or benefits of?
Reply #2 - 02/01/13 at 23:15:13

Ohh good idea I used to go religiously pre illness and it did wonders for stress.

I hope to reincorporate this someday if I can find an unscented place or person to come into my house. I used to like the really high pressure ones and still lean toward that notion, but not sure how it will go with my worsened dermatographism.

Guess it's important to have someone understanding that you can communicate with

My stress is so much higher I think it would be so great to get

Let us know

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print