Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mastocytosis? (Read 3541 times)
Kitt39
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Mastocytosis?
01/17/13 at 17:40:57

Am wondering if anyone here has mastocytosis?

Am in the process of being worked up for it at M.D. Anderson.

Am curious about other peoples experiences and how they were diagnosed.

I have bone pain, very high norepinephrine, T cell, B cell, NK cell  deficiencies as well as cytokine abnormalities.  

Have vomiting, nausea, blurred vision, extreme sensitivity to smells, light and sound.  Cognitive problems, fatigue...A long list.

I don't have the GI problems though...The only box I don't 'tick'.  Gladly.

Would be interested in other peoples experiences.

Thank you!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Mastocytosis?
Reply #1 - 01/17/13 at 20:34:24

I have S.M.  After testing negative in 1993, my tryptase was at a highly abnormal level by 2008.  I'd gone in to discuss rheumatoid arthritis, and left with a tentative S.M. Diagnosis.  It was confirmed by Dr. Akin by a bone marrow biopsy.

Joan

IP Logged

Kitt39
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/18/13 at 09:01:58

That's a very high tryptase level!  Even for SM.

Do you have other symptoms, or was that the tip off...Huge tip off.

How are you managing now?  

Any bone problems, nausea or vomiting?  GI problems?

How are you doing now?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 01/18/13 at 17:04:59

Kitt, she never mentioned her tryptase levels. What you are taking for her level, 1993, is the YEAR she tested negative. That is not her tryptase number....  Tongue

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/18/13 at 19:36:37

Thanks, Debbie!  Yes, those are years.

Even with high tryptase, I still feel well most of the time, which I attribute to diet (low histamine), exercise, control of environmental triggers (molds, dust, some chemicals, artificial scents), supplements, and the right combination of meds.  All my other blood work has been normal recently, including histamine; however, I do have some lesions on my bones.

I used to have muscle and connective tissue pain a lot, but when I got on a correct dosage of antihistamines, the pain went away.  Any pain I occasionally have is easily controlled with a normal dose of Tylenol.

The most annoying symptoms are GI.  I don't usually get nausea, but lower GI cramping, etc.  It's not frequent, and extra medicine and probiotics will stop it.  My GI doc recently recommended I use Lomotil if the usual meds don't help.

My worst triggers for symptoms are stress (physical or emotional), heat, certain antibiotics, and certain foods.  I can't use IV Benadryl, but I can take it orally or by injection.

Hope you can find some relief, Kitt!

Joan

IP Logged

Kitt39
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/19/13 at 12:15:51

Joan, sorry I confused your tryptase level.  Have a lot of brain fog when read on the net.

Can you share what the actual level was?

Glad you're feeling better.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/22/13 at 10:38:26

It went from 2.4 to around 120 in about 20 years.  Levels can bounce up and down, though, and I don't know if it was a steady climb or jumped periodically.  There are people with tryptase around 400 that still feel good on a daily basis and take minimal meds, too.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 01/22/13 at 13:49:13

I have SM. I had Cutaneous Masto as a kid and DRs never could figure out why I had spots and rashes until, years later-- I went "active", started flushing, tachycardia, felt like hell, exhausted, bloating, nausea and vomiting and going into shock constantly. (Im better controlled now).
My tryptase levels so far are 8,10,18.4, and 43. I dont have a recent one. They vary and DRs dont like Rxing them because of cost Sad
Hope this helps you,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print