Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Benadryl/Alzheimers (Read 4362 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Benadryl/Alzheimers
01/02/13 at 19:57:21

This is a new thread to continue discussion of a topic brought up within another thread.....

Kitt39 wrote:

"Re: POTS, IC, CFS, and now Masto? Am new here.
Reply #40 - Yesterday at 11:05pm  

Joan,

I read a lot of New York Times newspapers, and while I can't post that article, (it was not the blog you Googled), here's an article about Benadryl and other drugs and their impact on cognitive impairment and relationship to Alzheimer's.http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/sleep/articles/2009/06/04/som....

And another...
http://www.healthcentral.com/alzheimers/news-290406-98.html

I am very careful about statements, and people can certainly Google this information. There are many references to this on the internet.  

In addition I asked my pharmacist about it after reading the NYT's article, and he was aware of the issue and said to stay away from Benadryl, but the other anti-histamines were safe.

In addition Dr. Oz did a segment on this topic, and while I can't find the original segment online, there are many posts with people talking about it who saw the show.  It was specifically about Benedryl and Alzheimer's research.    I can't speak to that, because I didn't see it.

This is a legitimate topic of concern.  People can read about it and make their own decisions about which anti-histimines to use."

Kitt,

I feel strongly that people should read original published research in order to make an informed decision, rather than reports of research.  In reading more on the topic, there are inconsistencies in how a possible Benadryl/Alzheimers connection has been reported, as a cause and effect of Alzheimers by Benadryl or a condition that simulates Alzheimers.  I haven't been able to find a clear answer about that from a primary source.

I tried to find any entire actual study published online, but only found the link on the NY Times blog that I mentioned on the other thread.  If you can post a link, I'd like to read it, as I do use Benadryl for breakthrough symptoms.

I don't think I said people shouldn't be concerned.  I said I thought they should discuss their concerns with their doctors.  

Joan

IP Logged

cutty sark
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Benadryl/Alzheimers
Reply #1 - 01/02/13 at 21:46:02

I am in complete agreement with your post, Joan.  

It is also important to note that these articles refer to 'seniors' - older people.  There are a number of medications that should be used with caution/not used at all by older people [the same applies to children] but are safe to use with the rest of the population.

That said, all medication carries a 'risk' and it is up to us as individuals to weigh up the benefits, based on sound information.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/03/13 at 03:09:42

Thank you Joan for starting a new thread!

I want to point out to forum members that if a Forum Advisor or Forum Mentor (both positions are part of my forum administration team) specifically makes a statement regarding posting recommendations (such as the need to post the original link from which a strong statement comes), then it would be helpful to follow their suggestions. They are speaking as a Forum Advisor/Mentor at that point, with my instructions to do so.

My Forum Advisors and Mentors (which you can identify by the tag line under their member name on the left) are an extension of me when it comes to the rules of the forum. I cannot watch every post on the forum to ensure that the forum guidelines are being followed, and thus have these Advisors and Mentors to be my eyes and ears. My goal of the forum is to provide a friendly place for discussion, sharing of information to new (and old) people, provide support, and encourage friendships. If I or an Advisor/Mentor makes a suggestion or points out a forum violation, we are not trying to be unkind; we are just trying  to maintain the goals of the forum. I hate to close and lock threads if forum members get a bit carried away, but it is something that I will do when necessary to uphold those goals.

Thank you for your understanding.

Deborah, Forum Founder

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 01/03/13 at 03:56:04

Seems like very basic advice to me... a smart patient should think carefully about every medication on an individual, case by case basis, preferably in tandem with a smart doctor Grin

Here's how I weigh the issue of Benadryl in my case...

I come from a very large extended family.  There were eight kids in my dad's family and seven in my mom's family... so I have a lot of family history to compare myself to, lol.  Nobody in my entire extended family has ever suffered from Alzheimers.  We have other problems... diabetes, depression, autoimmune disorders... but not Alzheimers.  So... although Benadryl is an anticholinergic and should not be abused (duh)... it's also a very effective antihistamine AND antiemetic.  When I'm feeling dizzy/nauseated... which are two of my frequent symptoms... Benadryl is a great rescue medication for me.  Anaphylaxis can be fatal.  Also, mast cell mediators can cause plenty of neurological effects of their own... dizziness, brain fog, depression, irritability, insomnia, headaches.  So to me personally, the immediate benefits of Benadryl far outweigh the incredibly remote possibility of developing Alzheimers.  I just bought a big bottle of Benadryl tablets.

If I had a family history of Alzheimers I would certainly think twice!  However, I think Joan's suggestion to look at the original research article... not just a second-hand report about it... is excellent.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/11/13 at 13:21:33

Hi,
I am new here, but wanted to share some of my experience with you all.  I don't know if I should say anything, but I read the article and as a nurse who has seen some of these things, I feel like I should comment.  Many medications that are given to elderly patients in the hospital are capable of affecting their cognitive abilities, especially the meds given after surgery.  Several medications specify on the medication record to watch for signs and symptoms of this or that.  Ativan (lorazepam), an antianxiety med is especially prone to causing confusion and/or delerium in the elderly (speaking from my experience).  I have worked in psych units many times over the years, and many of the meds we give say to watch for certain side effects (delerium being one of them).  The older the patient, the more likely their chances of having side effects.  There are certain meds that are generally not given to anyone who is over the age of 65--even though that is not old.  So, I hope this helps... I don't know what the research will prove for certain, but these are just my thoughts.    Roll EyesSarah

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 01/14/13 at 01:52:04

This Topic was moved here from General Mast Cell Disorder Discussion by DeborahW, Founder.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print