Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do We Know the Effect Each Mediator Can Have on the Body? (Read 2226 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Do We Know the Effect Each Mediator Can Have on the Body?
12/16/12 at 05:10:53

Is it possible to know which mediator(s) my mast cells tend to release on a routine basis by knowing the way my body is acting?

I realize that I have had some blood work and urine work done to determine which mediators are elevated, but......

is there a list somewhere of the mediators (that we know of) released from mast cells and what effect each has on the body? If we did, I could look at my main symptoms and target the mediators in question and help regulate them. Or is this entire process a hit and miss experimentation?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: Do We Know the Effect Each Mediator Can Have on the Body?
Reply #1 - 12/16/12 at 05:49:13

Hi,

Great question. I'm new here but trying to get a handle on this too.
I've got most of the symptoms from mast cell activation so like you I'm looking for connections.

Here's where I'm at ...

From what I've been reading so much is determined by our bodies reactions at the time of contact that there's no way of knowing which chemicals are running amuck when. Testing only shows what chemicals are there when the test is run.

For ex, say you've just eaten a food high in omega 6. These cause prostaglandins to be released.  That is unless your body has more omega 3 on hand at the time. On hand being the tricky part. I react with pelvic pain to most nuts but not walnuts. These are high in omega 3. However, these omega 3's won't help if I eat omega 6 nuts later. And the pain could be from the swelling too.

So say while you're enjoying your high omega 6 snack, your cat, who you know you're allergic too but can't part with, decides he'd like some too. So now you're hit with histamines.

And if your allergy to this cat is severe enough you may experience swelling. It can be external or internal so you may not even realize it's happening. My mind is going blank on what causes swelling ... But anyway, now those chemicals are in play.

The list goes on and on.

I suspect that's why we're told to take a variety of antihistamines.
I still don't understand why Benadryl, an h1, is the most effective
for all mast cell reactions.  Hmmm, ok, not sure if this works for pain caused by prostaglandins.

I think I can see why mast cell de-activators would work the best tho. It would stop all these chemicals from getting out.

I'm trying to understand what role steroids play in this too. Agh !

I'm looking forward to what others with more experience have to say. This whole mast cell arena is a circus to me still.  Huh

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 12/16/12 at 07:13:35

Good question and one the researchers are working on .

There is a table I believe in the consensus proposal discussing some mediators like histamine, tryptase, interleukins, tnf alpha, prostaglandins etc and their associated symptoms. Can't recall if their mechanism of action is also discussed in there or not, but is complex immunology and they definitely don't have it all sorted out yet.

You can also google each mediator if you're curious to find scientific articles explaining what they know about their actions.

Very coarsely and briefly from my take on it,  treatment wise the meds really are not that great and blocking many of them in comparison to the complexity of the pathways. In general. antihistamines block some histamine receptors, anitleukotrienes like singulair block some interleukin pathways, mast cell stabilizers try to prevent mast cell release of these, ASA blocks prostaglandin synthesis. and steroids starve the mast cells of what the normally "eat" to survive and propagate and indirectly slam down the whole system along with other immune functions. There are fancier/experimental/immunomdulating drugs out there like Interferon and Xolair which have different mechanisms of action which I won't go into to save rambling.

When mast cell degranulation occurs they generally explode non selectively  releasing multiple mediators. There are also basophils which degranulate and are responsible for other symptoms.

The specific role of each is academically interesting, but in practice most of us are on various flavours of the same type of H1, H2 blocker, mast cell stabilizer, some antileukotriene if its helps and some anti prostaglandin if it helps and does not aggravate +/- acute extra meds +/- Epi +/- steroids for acute reactions.

I think it would be hard to be completely certain based on symptoms alone exactly which one or combo of mediators is your issue, but what might me more telling is which meds help relieve these as indirect evidence. Generally it's a bunch at once.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for. If you want me to send you the article, send me a PM

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 01/13/13 at 23:52:01

Admin note: This post requires the source to be listed:

Biochim Biophys Acta. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2013 January 1.
Published in final edited form as:
Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012 January; 1822(1): 21–33.
Published online 2010 December 23. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2010.12.014

Check out Table 2 for mediators and physiologic effects:  
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3318920/table/T2/

Entire article on mast cells and Inflammation:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3318920/

Lyn
« Last Edit: 01/14/13 at 03:37:39 by DeborahW, Founder »  

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #4 - 01/14/13 at 00:02:16

Doozlygirl wrote on 01/13/13 at 23:52:01:
Check out Table 2 for mediators and physiologic effects:  
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3318920/table/T2/

Entire article on mast cells and Inflammation:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3318920/

Lyn

Thanks Lyn. I'm not finished reading these but wanted to make sure I thanked you for these. I had no idea so many mediators from mast cells were understood.  

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print