Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
elevated prostaglandin F2 (Read 2732 times)
deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

elevated prostaglandin F2
12/14/12 at 16:01:23

I saw Dr. Castells for a second opinion as she is an Immunologist and I have many food intolerances in addition to a MCAS diagnosis from Dr. Afrin. She tested all my IGE markers and only grass was elevated. However in testing mast cell markers, my prostaglandin F2 was significantly elevated. I wrote her and asked her about it and she said aspirin is indicated, but due to my intestinal inflammation, I probably shouldn't take it. She didn't say if she confirms the MCAS diagnosis or not. Does anyone else have elevated PDG D or PGD F2 elevation, who can't take aspirin? Is there anything else we can take to shut this down? Anything natural, perhaps, or otherwise. She also has me on Cromolyn and Zantac. I can't tolerate H1s at this point. Thanks for any feedback on any of this. Debbie

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: elevated prostaglandin F2
Reply #1 - 12/15/12 at 04:08:35

Hi,

I'm new to this but figured I'd give it a shot. Lol. I was  just reading about prostaglandins being related to too much omega 6 and not enough omega 3. So any organic food source of omega 3 should help. And limit all sources of omega 6.

I think I read that we shouldn't be using oils from flax or walnuts to get our omega 3s.  These go rancid too quickly. I found this true with flax.

Fwiw, I'm a celiac with long term gut damage and I always feel better if I take a children's aspirin. I've been avoiding them because I'm a celiac but I'm going to try taking one every other day for awhile and see how I feel. I have chronic pain from angioedema and this may help.

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 12/15/12 at 12:39:34

Dr. Castells just wrote me that with an elevated urine Prostaglandin F2, I do qualify for the MCAS diagnosis. Since I don't see her til March, I really still wonder if it is secondary to something else, or how exactly she sees it.She also mentioned taking Singulair since I can't take aspirin. I remember when I saw her, she did mention fish oil being important, so you are right about the Omega 3s, Marcia. For anyone looking at altenative meds., she also mentioned that LDN is helpful for anyone who has pain.

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/08/13 at 04:28:09

Hi Debbie.  I have had elevated prostaglandin F2 24 hour urine sample. May I ask what your level was?  Or what is considered slightly elevated?.  I have not seen Dr. Castells yet but have had several conversations with her and every time I have an appointment I am too sick to travel.  Anyhow, I have a ridiculous amount of pain.  I too have tried asprin and I felt very strange after taking it.  But it was a baby asprin maybe it was the dye.  Will try again.  I also have heard that adding Omega 3 is very good. I was told by another patient on a blog to try grass fed butter.  I found Kerryland Butter from Ireland at my local Von's and it really helps.  I use a lot of it first thing in the morning.  Some people put two tablespoons in their hot drink.  I have fatty liver but had my liver checked a few months later and my liver was actually better.  Not sure if it's coincidental.  I've never been a drinker, so fatty liver is not from that.   Wish it was because that would be an easy fix for me.  Anyhow, I used to eat a ton of walnuts and when I stopped that and the olive oil, it did help with food reactions but  my joints and body ached a lot more.  And the butter and also coconut oil have been very helpful. I can only do a tiny dose of coconut oil as it gives me a little too much energy and I get anxiety from it.  So go with caution and it can also release mast cells in some people.  I can't do coconut oil on very very reactive days, but most days I'm fine with it.  Good luck and hope you feel better soon. Also, I wanted to say I can't take zantac or pepcid or anything like that.  It causes a nasty reaction.  But my local doctor wrote a prescription for children's ranitidine or zantac in syrup form and I am able to adjust my dose to what I can handle and it's only about a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, but helps so much.  It literally knocks me out, so I only take it at night.
Maiysa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print