Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Singulair side effects? (Read 5155 times)
bongaan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
South Africa
Singulair side effects?
12/03/12 at 01:45:05

Somewhere on this forum I read about generic versions of Singulair, some people were contemplating whether they will have some side effects from the generic or not. This is the first time in my life that I've ever heard about generics causing side effects which brand name versions don't due to difference in ingredients such as colorants. I've never used any montelukast drugs before and started my first day ever on a generic version of Singulair called Topraz. It caused a high in the first day and then it moved over to irritability, agitation and even aggresiveness. So much so that I immediately stopped using it. (I even speeded with my car out of frustration, 190km/h where 100km/h is the legal limit Embarrassed)

Now what I am trying to figure out is whether it is the montelukast itself that I don't tolerate or is it the other ingredients? And whether I will be fine if I use Singulair instead of Topraz?

Does somebody here have any experience with this?

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Singulair side effects?
Reply #1 - 12/05/12 at 09:10:17

I have not tried the generic singular because I no long take it. Just didn't seem to do much for me and less is best is my meds policy!
I was told that legally they only have to put 20% of the original medicine in a generic and the rest can be filler.

Usually red 40 and yellows in inactive ingredients can cause issues.  Can you look up and list the ingredients here so we can have a look at them?

You should be about to go to the pharmacy and buy a few name brand ones to test.

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 12/05/12 at 09:28:36

Singulair is a great med for many mast cell people, but we are all different and someone is bound to have trouble with it. I know that for "normal" people who might take Singulair for allergies, a side effect is irritability and behavior issues. My friend told me that when her son took it for allergies, he turne from a sweet quiet kid to a raging monster threatening to kill himself. Once they stopped the med, he was back to normal.

I suspect that you had this side effect as well, and it is probably not because it was generic but because it was Singulaire.

Now others shouldn't think that this means they would react that way and this avoid it. I took Singulair for a long while, and it was amazing with eliminating some of my hard to get rid of symptoms. I loved it, and had no side effects. I got better and thus no longer need it. When I flare, though, I take one if my Allegra and Zyrtec aren't eliminating the problem.

By the way, in regard to generic meds, I have mixed feelings on them. I only take brand because I get too nervous about if generic would work as well. I do, however, use generic antibiotics. When I am going into anaphylaxis, though, I can't take the chance of wondering if the generic will work as well as the brand.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

bongaan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
South Africa
Reply #3 - 12/05/12 at 22:24:43

Thank you Pam and Deborah! My gut feeling says it is the montelukast itself, but I also contemplate to try the original Singulair brand name and see what happens.

The ingredients of the generic named Tropaz:
lactose monohydrate
microcrystalline cellulose
croscarmellose sodium
hydroxypropyl cellulose
magnesium stearate
hypromellose
titanium dioxide
macrogol
iron oxide yellow
iron oxide red
iron oxide black

This is greek to me!  Shocked  Cheesy

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 12/06/12 at 11:03:07

With Deborah knowing someone with the same reaction.  I agree it was probably not because it was generic but because it was Singulaire.

The oxide colors are usually safest.  The ones with the numbers attached are the artificial ones.  There are tons of filler in there!

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 12/06/12 at 14:04:58

You might want to ask your doctor about other leukotriene inhibitors.  There are several on the market.  Just like antihistamines, one might not be great for you, but a different one might be fine, that is, if the inert ingredients aren't the problem.

Joan

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #6 - 12/10/12 at 07:01:44

I started taking 2 - 5 mg chewable mylan mont last week so I'm not taking the same generic you are.

This helped my lungs loosen up right away but it never helped my swelling. I didn't realize my lungs were tight until I could take deep breaths without straining.

I had headaches from taking 10 mg so I went down to 5 for the last 2 days. The headaches are gine but I think it's causing blood glucose problems for me because I'm getting my normal hypoglycemia feeling but  eating isn't taking care of it.  I haven't used my bg monitor in years so I'm not ready to test it.

Hypoglycemia can feel like panic attacks if you don't respond by eating something sweet to bring it back up. And for me, if it's gone too far I feel like I'm going to have a seizure. Mine are mild but still not any fun. I wonder if this med has been shown to cause seizures esp in those who already have them.

So I'm getting off this as of now.  I see my dr this week.

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

brethor
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 12/12/12 at 14:21:16

I actually had the same reaction to Singulair....was great at first for helping me breathe but I became incredibly irritable and aggressive on it after a couple weeks even on a small dose. (I had the same reaction to alot of the SSRI/SNRI meds) I have abnormally high catecholamine levels so maybe that is an influence regardless,  I didnt need to contend with that on top of my other symptoms so I stopped Wink

Bren

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #8 - 12/19/12 at 07:14:52

I tried the mylan 5 mg montelukast last night and am having seizure
like feelings again today.  For me this means I'm feeling shakey and eating something doesn't resolve it. Klonopin stops it. I won't be trying this tablet again.

It definitely makes breathing easier for awhile so I want to look at other options.

Their 10 mg tablet has lactose so that's out for me too. I get Paget's of the skull (abnormal bone growth) flares from lactoferrin and I'm not sure yet whether all lactose has lactoferrin.

The 5 mg tablet contains aspartame which has been associated with seizures. So not sure what part I'm reacting to.

I'm looking for liquid montelukast.
« Last Edit: 12/20/12 at 01:38:31 by MarciaB »  

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #9 - 12/29/12 at 11:33:14

Please Marcia, I ask that you be careful in the terms you give to some of your symptoms.   That shakiness is just that, jitters and not "seizure-like" feelings.   A seizure is a very different situation and it's a very serious reaction indicating either a lack of oxygen to the brain or sugar or some other kind of element which has caused your central nervous system to go into spasms.    The jitters which we can get, vibrations and even muscle spasms are not caused by and isquimia of some kind but are a direct influence of the very strong neurotransmittors upon our neuro-muscular system.  If you go telling your doctors about seizure-like symptoms you can mislead them.  

Has masto been connected to seizures?  No.  There is a case of epilepsy, but that's extremely rare and there are also cases of brain lesions due to lack of oxygen during syncope connected to anaphylaxis, but the seizures, if they were to happen are not a direct result or consequence of mastocytosis and our reactions.  

Now, why did the montelukast create this reaction?  Well, with some people it can be the inert ingredients causing the reacting and that shakiness is a prodome warning of imminant serious reacting and possible anaphylaxis.  What will stop it is taking some antihistamine be it benedryl or another kind of antihistamine.  

Due to all of us having very individual genetic makeups not all of us can tolerate large doses of meds right away and we must work up to it very slowly.  You may have taken 4 mg too many to start off with!   I can take 10 mg right from the start and it's an impressive improvement that it has given me.  So far I can handle any kind of medication at normal doses, but that could change in the future, we just never know.  

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #10 - 12/31/12 at 02:42:35

Hi Lisa,

I have seizures so I'm comfortable using the terminology to describe my feelings. My doctors know I have these so I'm good there too.

I googled mylan 5 mg and it contains aspartame. I saw aspartame can cause seizures for some but of course I can't
say that's what mine are from since I was getting these seizure like feelings on occasion. Imho, it's possible that this med  made them more prevalent.

I stopped it and tried it a second time and these feelings returned. And they stopped again once I stopped the meds. So I won't be experimenting with it again.  Klonopin stops this side effect but I can't see medicating to deal with a medication side effect.  Cheesy

I need to recheck but I believe the 10 mg mylan brand singulair was ok for me. I need to avoid gluten, dairy, aspartame, etc.

Thanks tho .. Marcia

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 12/31/12 at 06:31:59

Marci
I am curious in how you describe your seizures...as I have anaphylaxis like only one person ...that I have found in all my years..I am not an expert only know what happens to me...
I ...MY OPINION only is that some way my brain is affected as I can see, hear but cannot speak..and a few other things as well..
I am not up to date on the lastest research but long ago the only research concerning masto/brain had only been done on mice..but this could have changed.
redbird

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #12 - 12/31/12 at 09:12:01

Hi redbird,

My doctors have dx these for me over the years.  Imho  it's best to ask your dr about your symptoms in case it's something more serious going on.  I had one 2 hour seizure that landed me in the ER but otherwise mine are mild.

My symptoms vary on the type of seizure I'm having. The feeling I was getting from this med was similiar to my hypoglycemia feelings if I don't eat something but more extreme.

I can see but I'm not clear on what I'm looking at.  I can't judge moving objects. I can speak but it's extremely mentally and physically taxing and use the wrong words and join words. I feel shakey inside but my hands don't shake.

Sometimes I have to sit on the ground to stop the feeling like there's an earthquake going on.   If I sit on anything else it still feels like it's moving.

I'm not up on masto / seizure research either but I've noticed gluten and caffeine make me more likely to get pre-seizure feelings.  I was prescribed Klonopin for these and it works.

Tc .. Marcia

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print