Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Timing of Gastrocrom doses? (Read 7637 times)
PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Timing of Gastrocrom doses?
11/21/12 at 13:50:25

Hi all,

I've been working my way up with Gastrocrom dosing and tonight I am going to increase from the 2 ampules BID I have been taking.

Everything I've read says, for at the full amount, to take 2 ampules QID (e.g., 2 before breakfast, 2 before lunch, 2 before dinner, and 2 before bed). However, my physician recommended that my next step be to take 3 ampules BID. And, finally, I'll work up to 4 ampules BID.

I asked about the difference in timing of doses and the nurse said either way is fine "just as long as you get it in you." Does this sound right? She said my physician prefers to prescribe this way because other patients often have difficulty timing the gastrocrom with their other specifically times meds. At this point, I don't have an issue with that. Any thoughts on this recommended timing?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Timing of Gastrocrom doses?
Reply #1 - 11/21/12 at 16:34:20

I switched to "bid" for exactly that reason... I kept forgetting my lunch and dinnertime doses.  I figured it was better to remember two doses consistently than four doses semi-consistently!  I'm using the powder form now (cromolyn sodium), taking 200mg in the morning and before bed.  It works for me Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/21/12 at 16:45:29

Starflower, thanks so much for your reply! I'm glad to know it works for you.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/22/12 at 18:19:01

I do the same as Starflower and for the same reasons!  If I know I'm going out to dinner, sometimes I'll take it before we leave.

Dr. Theo said that it works best taken 5 minutes before eating.  It stays in the system for 1-3 hours, but the effects can last longer.

My GI mast cell doctor said to take it with or without food, one or two vials at a time, any time of day, just to get it in.

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 11/24/12 at 03:53:05

Hi all,
I was told to allow at least 20 mins before eating.  So the food does not absorb the medicine.  My rule of thumb is to wait until I need to pee after dinking it. Ususally 20-30 mins. Then I know the med is in my system.  I also drink it in 2 cups of water.  If I drink it is less it makes me have the big D. I was told or read to take it 2 hours after eating a meal for the same reason, to have an empty stomach.
I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but it seems that you would want the med. stablizing the mast cells through out the day not just 2 times a day.  It is not timed released.  I take it through out the day for this reason, in fact if I go too many hours in between I begin to get that stomach pain of degranulation, sometimes if I forget to take it at night I actually have to wake up super early just to get the cromolyn in me.  I got my instructions in the medicine information pamphet from the manufacturer, you may have to ask the pharmacy for it.  I now get mine in the powdered form but was told the same thing from the pharmacist.
I guess what works for some does not always work for others.  I don't want to make anyone mad but how does it work all day if you just take it 2 times a day?  Do seems like it would get absorbed and flushed before your system could use it all.  It would be terrible not to get the full benefit of the med. even if a doctor told you to take it that way. Huh  
I guess when it comes to meds I trust the pharmacist or the manufactor more than I trust the doctors.
Just my two cents!

Pam

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/03/12 at 09:53:28

Thanks so much for your replies, ladies! I've been taking 3 ampules BID for nearly two weeks now. And, of course I have more questions. They never end, do they?

Here's the backstory: The first week on Gastrocrom, I took 1/2 ampule BID. The following week, I took 1 ampule BID. After about 10 or so days, I started taking 2 ampules BID. Almost two weeks ago, I started 3 ampules BID. I'm trying to get up to the max dose of 4 ampules BID.

Starting Gastrocrom, upping to 1 ampule BID, and upping to 2 ampules BID, my symptoms generally followed a fairly predictable pattern. Exciting, right? Predictability is so enjoyable when you can get it! The pattern was that I'd feel awful for the first five days of starting a new dose, with each day getting a little less bad. On roughly the sixth day of the new dose, I'd start feeling MUCH better and have increased functionality to the point where I felt almost normal at times. The improvements increased with each dose increase, as well. That is, until...

When I started 3 ampules BID, I expected a similar pattern. Hasn't turned out that way. I did feel crappy for the first five days, but the level of crappiness didn't really decrease with each day on the new dose. And, on the sixth day, I did feel better, but it wasn't as marked of an improvement as the previous times. And, since then, I have been extra reactive to triggers. I'm talking a ridiculous increase in reactivity. For example, three days ago, my son threw a Lego and it hit my hand. Not hard enough to hurt, just enough to feel it. I developed a series of raised, red spots that haven't decreased since. Typically, I would have no reaction to that. That's just one small example. And, I haven't felt good. I feel awful.

When I started Gastrocrom, my doc hinted that some of his pts are unable to tolerate the max dose of the med. Is this something that is common? I am waiting on the nurse to return my call as to where to go from here. Should I power through this and go to the max dose? Or, will that totally mess me up? Should I drop back to the 2 ampules BID?

Thank you for reading and I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #6 - 12/03/12 at 10:55:46

Pepperpots,
I can't tell you what to do because I am not a doc.  I can tell you what I did and what worked for me.  I powered through... I took the full dose and was so sick.  I stayed in bed for almost a week, but around the 8th day I was able to do things that I had not done in months.  I walked the dog and even baked some muffins. During that week I was extra sensitive too.  I went to the store one day and the cashier sprayed some cleaner and I thought I was going to die before getting out of there.  My throat started getting tight and I ran out of the store.  I remember saying in tears to my husband "I thought this was going to help me not make me worse"  It did help me in the long run, but it seemed to make me worse for a few days.  I like to think of it as a fish tank.  When you pour in a bucket of water you stir the whole thing up, you know it is a cloudy mess, and I think that's how the cromolyn works kind of...mixes things up and you have to wait for a while for it to clear up.  It does evenually.  It was probably easier for me because my kids are grown and can take care of themselves, so I was able to be in bed and feel horrible.  With a little one you will need extra help to get through it.
I don't know how bad you need the medicine, It is probably harder having a choice to take it.  I didn't feel like I had a choice in the matter of taking it or not because of my anaphylaxis.  
Good luck
« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 15:46:59 by PamH »  

Pam

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 12/03/12 at 13:48:50

Pam, thanks for your reply. First, let me apologize for my poorly worded post with all the questions about how to continue with my dosing. Those are a few of the questions I have swirling through my mind at all times right now and I just sort of vomited them out in my post without thinking. I guess I'm just curious about others' experiences to see similar/different they are from mine, rather than seeking non-medical expert advice. Wink

Yes, caring for my son has been a real challenge since starting Gastrocrom. However, during my previous dose increases, he's spent the week with his grandparents. That has made this med trial much more doable. He's here now because I thought I'd be adjusted to this latest increase.

As far as having a choice in trying Gastrocrom, like you, I feel like I don't have a choice. I have been seriously debilitated for 2.5 years now and have missed out on the majority of my life (as well as my husband's and son's lives). So far, I'm a leaker rather than a shocker, so I don't have anaphylaxis on my plate. But, I am extremely limited in what I can do and am ready to try anything that may improve my situation.

I'm all about powering through this increased symptom period if it means that I could have better managed symptoms at some point. I just don't know what to expect, given that my previous dose increases resulted in much different outcomes. Maybe I'm paying too much attention to those previous outcomes; maybe this new response to the med doesn't indicate that it isn't working at this dose. I don't know what to think.

My nurse is going to check with my doc and call me tomorrow with his thoughts. At this point, I'm kinda hoping he'll just say to bump up to the max dose, deal with it, and see what happens.

Just being able to type all this stuff out right now is helping to some extent.

Also, Pam, I just want to thank you again so much for your posts on salicylates and histamines. Avoiding those has really helped decrease my number of triggers.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 12/03/12 at 14:00:32

Pepperpots,
I am glad to help in any way!
I think when I started I started with 2 twice a day and then like a crazy person bumped it up to 2-4 times a day with in just a few days.  I just wanted to get the bad stuff over with.  That may not have been the safest way of doing it but I felt desperate!! Cheesy
I actually followed your questions, so don't worry about the post.  I am horrible at spelling and typing, I wonder how people can follow what I'm trying to say half the time!! Smiley
« Last Edit: 12/04/12 at 08:37:09 by PamH »  

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 12/03/12 at 17:16:40

Pepper,

Don't be discouraged!  You're doing great, but might need to tweak the timing of the Gastrocrom a bit.  I suspect you might be taking too much at one time now.

My GI doctor would say to take 2 ampules, 4 times a day, not 4 ampules, twice a day.  He said to take it before each meal and then once at bedtime.  He never had me add more than one extra ampule/day when I was building up.

Dr. Theoharides said it's best taken about 5 minutes before a meal.  I like the nighttime dose on an empty stomach with about 3/4 c. water.  It helps me feel better in the morning.

My doc also says to take them with or without food, however you can get them down.  If you need to take more water with them to avoid side effects, that's okay, too.

The dosing is very individual.  Play around with it until you find you reach the maximum you can tolerate.  I found that I could tolerate more, but it was making me constipated, so I cut back on my H2 and backed down to 2 ampules, twice a day.  Others have luck with different amounts and timing.  You can run this by your doctor, but be sure you're doing it in a slow enough way that your body accepts the medicine.

Another way to do it is to take 1 ampule every few hours.  Then you can add one each week or two until you get up to your maximum needed.  At that point, you could take them closer together in time.

Remember, in this disease, there are many paths to stability...one for each of us! Smiley  They're not straight lines either!  When I'm flaring, I have to adjust when I take the Gastrocrom, space them out more, add extra water, and stay close to a bathroom, just in case  Grin.

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #10 - 12/04/12 at 04:29:19

Joan is right don't take more that 2 ampules at a time.  That would cause some serious diareaha!   Shocked   We are so different when it comes to the same medicine.  I can NOT drink it in less than 2 cups of water...even though the instructions say 1 cup.  Also if I drink it too fast I get diareaha!  Cheesy

Pam

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 12/04/12 at 05:39:04

Joan, thank you for your info on spacing out the Gastrocrom. Maybe that will help. I'll run that by my nurse today when she calls, too. Thank you for your support, too, and for saying that I'm "doing great." I almost started crying when I read that (thanks to my overactive MC) and really appreciate your kind words right now.

I am constantly amazed at how individuals can respond so differently to the same meds. Thanks, Joan and Pam, for sharing both your experiences!

Somewhat relatedly, Pam, I keep trying to remember to ask you about the powdered cromolyn. I recently switched from name brand Gastrocrom to generic cromolyn sodium ampules to save money. Do you save even more money by using the powdered form? About how much? Where can you get it and how did you go about that? I've never heard of the powdered form except in a couple of posts here.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #12 - 12/04/12 at 08:32:50

Pepperpots,
I switched to the powdered cromolyn back in the summer when my husband had a job change that changed our insurance dramatically.  We now have a high deductable insurance so we have to pay the first $6000.  Our part went from $15 to $1000 for the Cromolyn a month. I was so excited to hear that I could get it at a compounding pharmacy. I was already getting my ketotifen through Clarks Pharmacy and they also had the Cromolyn.  We pay right around $120.00 a month now, which is not as good as the original $15, but so much better than the $1000 a month!
As for the medicine itself...I find is a little nicer to my stomach but seems to be just as effective.  I just measure out 1/8 of a teaspoon and mix it with a little warm water until it dissolves then I fill it up with water and enjoy! Wink  If you are interested in switching I would wait until you are stablized then make a switch slowly.  Depending on your insurance it might be worth it.

Pam

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 12/04/12 at 09:23:05

Pam, thanks so much for this info! I agree that getting stabilized is a first priority, for sure. If and when that happens, I am going to check into compounding and pricing. Sounds like it could potentially save us some money, too!

On another positive note, I am feeling much better today! Only minimal symptoms and I've been able to do a few things here and there around the house. I've spoken with my nurse and am going to increase to the max dosage on Thursday. My son is going to stay with his grandparents for about two weeks starting on Thursday, so that should give me a good amount of time to adjust to the increase. I'm also planning to take my doses 2 ampules QID to see if that helps minimize reactions.

Thanks so much, again, for your help, ladies!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 12/04/12 at 18:35:30

Hope you feel better soon!  The thing about this that gets a lot of people discouraged is that they don't feel very much better until they get on a full level of their meds.  1/2 doses don't make us feel 1/2 better, for example.

Then, all of a sudden, lots of symptoms can go away seemingly overnight.  I was under-medicated for 16 years!  When I finally got up to a therapeutic dose of antihistamines, my muscle and connective tissue pain suddenly went away.  It was like a miracle!  Then I started on Gastrocrom.  Once I got up to a high enough dose, my whole GI became less inflamed.  I even lost about 7 pounds.

You're on the right track!  If you have any trouble with adding more Gastrocrom, definitely try one of the suggestions of Pam or me.

Once you're at the currently recommended doses of your meds, you should be able to see what symptoms are still a problem and to try some other options for resolving those, for example, more or different antihistamines, adding Singulair, or other medicine changes.   It's one step at a time.  Try to relax and tell yourself every day that you're much better than you were, and a bad day is only that....one bad day.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print