Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New with EDS, POTS, Chiari, suspected MCAD (Read 8104 times)
Carolynjoy1228
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

New with EDS, POTS, Chiari, suspected MCAD
11/10/12 at 14:21:32

Hi.  My name is Carolyn.  I'm 28, and have been dealing with Chiari, EDS, POTS, and cranio-cervical instability for the last 10 years.

I’ve been having a lot of problems lately that could possibly be explained by my dysautonomia and cranio-cervical instability.  But I’m starting to realize that MCAD really better describes a lot of episodes I have.  And I think it is getting worse or flaring up right now.  I’ve been paying really close attention to my symptoms and my potential triggers.  Here’s what I’ve figured out so far:

Environmental triggers for me include being outside and inhaling even tiny amounts of cigarette smoke, incense, and strong perfumes.  Exposure to environmental triggers causes the following predictable succession of symptoms:
-watery eyes
-drippy nose
-itchy throat and chin
-dripping sweat
-full-body flushing
-headache
-feeling overwhelmed

I have a few known food triggers.  I’m still experimenting to see what else there is.  Known triggers include dairy and gluten.  Food triggers causes a separate, but still predictable succession of symptoms:
-stomach bloating and pressure
-feeling really out of it, zoning out
-fatigue
-headache

I also have symptoms with unknown causes.  I often wake up with swollen eyes and lips.  I often have really itchy eyes or nose.  I also have periods of really low blood pressure out of the blue.  I often have intense brain fog and severe headaches.

What else should I look out for?  I eat the same diet every day, and I’m experimenting to try to find out what triggers are left in my diet.  I’ve eliminated dairy and gluten.  No perfumes or sprays in our apartment.

I'm still just learning about MCAD.  I'm interested in if there are any doctors in the Milwaukee/Chicago area.  How MCAD is diagnosed.  How it is treated.  How effective treatment is.

I'm glad to join this group, and hope to learn a lot.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: New with EDS, POTS, Chiari, suspected MCAD
Reply #1 - 11/10/12 at 15:04:45

Welcome to the forum, Carolyn.  Sorry you're having a lot of symptoms.

There is a lot of information on this forum, and the best thing you can do is to read as much as possible.

You don't mention whether you've been tested for IgE allergies or whether you're on any daily medicines.  If you haven't tried the low histamine diet, you can find a link for it on this forum.  It seems to be a good starting point for a lot of people.  More foods either contain histamine or cause direct histamine release in the body than people normally realize.

You can have both allergies and a mast cell disorder, and both can cause some of your symptoms.  I don't personally know of any doctors in your immediate area, but maybe someone else does.  There are mast cell disorder doctors around the country, but not very many of them.

There are a few diseases that must first be ruled out before getting an MCAD diagnosis.  That information is on here, too, including specific tests that can be done.

If you have other questions, do post them.  There are many knowledgeable people on this site who might be able to help you feel better.

Joan

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11/11/12 at 02:41:55

What Joan said.

Too there is a cerebral blood flow disease by the acronyms CCSVI's.  I forget what that stands for, but basically it means improper blood flow to the brain due to goofed up valves in your neck.   From what I've heard, it doesn't respond particularly well to treatment (i.e. stents, Yikes !), and researchers are beginning to suspect it is due more to systemic inflammation than anything else.   So, you're right back where you started really.   Sorry if that didn't help any.

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 11/20/12 at 06:37:46

Wecome and I think that you will see that you have found a gold mine in this forum.  It has really helped me.  Sounds to me like you are on the right track.. Can you list what you eat everyday?  
I am histamine intollerant and salicylate sensitive.  Those scented products you mention are made up of salicylates.  They are plant based and actually in so many products it will make you head spin! Cheesy  From laundry detergent to toothpaste.  Strawberries to broccoli. I would recommend doing some research on histamines and salicylates....or just what Joan said read!
Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Oh yea, many medications have inactive ingredients that cause a tremedous amount of problems,  colors, and preservitives.etc.

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print