Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just started hydroxyurea ...... (Read 4026 times)
bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Just started hydroxyurea ......
10/18/12 at 06:58:18

I decided that based on dr castell's recommendation to my dr. Price, to start the hydroxyurea.  500mg once a day for about a month and then a check of my tryptase to check its effectiveness.

I will post to this topic on what happens.

I took the first pill this am.   Within a hour I knew I had a new drug in me.  It will be interesting to see if my body gets used to it or if the side effects get worse.  So far, 3 hrs later,  it's mainly light headed, slightly dizzy, maybe slight shortness of breath.  Nothing bad really......yet....

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Just started hydroxyurea ......
Reply #1 - 10/20/12 at 11:12:43

Good luck!  Smiley
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #2 - 10/24/12 at 09:26:51

One week into it.  First day felt light headed and a little short of breath for about 3 hrs.  Now. I almost don't notice anything except a couple incidents of loose bm.... Which happens with my masto sometimes anyway.

They told me not to expect any benefit for 30-45 days as mast cells have a long life .  So my population of mast cells will take a while to decrease.    Maybe this is all in my head but I have been able to be more active and there has been no flaring in the last week.   Usually I get a little of that a few times a week.

Time will tell.   I will write weekly updates to this including my new tryptase results.  They will take that blood sample in 3 weeks and have the results some time after that.

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #3 - 11/11/12 at 09:20:30

Now on the hydroxyurea for over 3 weeks.  The light headed feeling and shortness of breath in the am is mostly gone.  I have noticed some stomach cramps followed by diarrhea.  More than normal and some flushing in late afternoon and evening.  More than normal.  Not sure what is up with that.  On the tryptase level,  before I started I was > 200.  Actually I had a reading of >400 last march from a different lab, different doctor.   I should have another reading after 3 weeks on this stuff by next week.  Then I go in again for another blood sample in 4 weeks.  Hope this works but it bothers me a bit that no one else on this forum seems to be trying this.  It was. Recommend to my doc by dr. Castell. I do not know here but from this forum she seems to be well known and well thought of.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 11/12/12 at 09:36:03

I have only hear good things of Dr. Castell!  I can imagine that is nerve racking trying a new medicine that you haven't heard much about...I think that we all have that guine pig feeling with this rare disorder.  Good luck!  Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #5 - 11/13/12 at 06:05:08

Another update.   Not long after my last post I started flaring some, then worse.  So that was 4 days in row of evening flaring.  This is not typical unless something is triggering me.   So I got permission to stop the Hydroyurea for a few days to see what happens.  The day i stopped my intestinal cramping stopped but had a bad flare up.  Had to use all my  antihistamine tricks to keep up with it.   Talked to my allergist and she wants me to start what she calls a prednison drop down.   starting with 60mg/d for 3 days and then each subsequent 3 days dropping it down to 0 by 12 days.  Just took it this morning for the first time.   Interesting .....    Nervous energy and flushing cleared up within an hour.   I made the mistake of doing some research on prednisone.   Sounds like its effective but lots of side effects coming off of it....... I can hardly wait.  Not sure about restarting the hydroxyurea.   Will talk with Dr. Price tomorrow.

IP Logged

cutty sark
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 11/14/12 at 04:43:59

Hi Bob

I just googled this drug, it seems to have quite a lot of potential serious side affects. Are you being 'trialed' on this as a masto patient?

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #7 - 11/14/12 at 09:20:23

The hydroxyurea is not an official trail.  Its a recommendation by Dr. Castells to Dr. Price that i try it. Its a milder Chemo that has been around since the 1800s.   Many people with other diseases take it for decades but you do have to monitor blood count etc.   The Prednisone is used by other masto patients. It too has some nasty side effects and long term usage issues.  I am only taking it for a 12 day let down.  full dose 3 days, smaller does 3 days, etc. till no dose on day 13.  It clears up all of my symptoms for about 8 -10 hrs but last night I was flaring like crazy and sleeping was really not fun.  I guess its hard to sleep on Prednisone.   i am looking for another allergist and hematologist out here for another opinion.  I have found one hematologist, Dr Michael Mauro,  who has worked with Midostauren with DR. Gotlib.   And we have been trading emails.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print