Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What do you think of my meds? (Read 2311 times)
vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

What do you think of my meds?
10/12/12 at 18:32:31

I was just diagnosed with MCAD and the doctor started the following meds:

Zantac 2 X a day 75 mg
Singulair 1 X a day
Claritin 1 X a day

I have only been taking them 3 days. The first day I felt a lot better and less itchy. But now I feel tingling in my skin (not exactly itching but it's annoying) and I feel more tired than usual. Do you think these are a good combination of meds? I rarely have digestion issues, do I really need the Zantac?  I think Atarax or Benadyrl work better for me at getting my itching under control. Should I be taking one of those. Claritin usually does't help me much, unless I take it with Atarax and/or Benadryl.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: What do you think of my meds?
Reply #1 - 10/13/12 at 09:18:35

Hi,
Did you tell your doc that the claritin doesn't work well without the atarax? You may have to explain that to him.  You could try a zyrtec in place of the claritin, or even a benedryl, benedryl is sedating though.  They are all are  H1's.

As far a the zantac, I felt the same way you did when I was put on it.  I thought what the heck, why in the world...It is because zantac is an H2 blocker!  It works at blocking histamines in the stomach.  Histamines are what causes the mast cells to open up.  So the zantac is working to block histamines in foods.
It is possible that the singular is making you tired, that should subside, It gave me strange dreams, should have wrote them down and wrote a book! Wink
I think that you have a good combination.  A lot of us on here are taking a couple of different H1s. For instance I take claritin in the morning and Allegra in the late afternoon.  Remember though with mast cell issues less is best.  In other words if you don't need it don't take it!  A lot of us react to inactive ingredients so you have to be careful with that.  
Also it is best to start/change one med at a time.  That is the only way to see if a med is a problem for you.  
You can get a lot of information here on the forum.  I think I have learned more from the forum than the doctors-after all we are the patients!
Under medicines there is a post about medicine combinations-I think it is under my masto mix  or something of that nature!
Good luck!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/13/12 at 11:08:22

Thanks Pam!

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 10/13/12 at 18:40:58

Hi,
I take my Singlulair at night due to grogginess.  Something to consider.  

Lyn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print