Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Med Comb0: Loratidine and Zyrtec (Read 1891 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Med Comb0: Loratidine and Zyrtec
10/07/12 at 11:53:06

Hello,

I am trying out a new medicine combo.  I was taking Loratidine, 10 mg (5 mg AM. 5 mg PM) for about the past eight years and it worked o.k.  But, now feeling some breakthrough symptoms, and docs suggested I take 5 mg of Zyrtec at night instead.

The Zyrtec seems to make me a little hyper so I can't sleep. However, I do feel better on it than the Loratidine. I also take a little Gastrcrom and ranitidine as needed.

For those who take either of these antihistamines, what has your experience been as far as side effects, especially if you have taken them together?  Did you have any problems?

When I try to cut down my Loratidine to replace with Zyrtec, I get a bad headache the first couple of days (maybe a little withdrawl?).  I also notice that if I take the two together I get a little more moody.  Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and if things evened out after a couple of weeks or so/

Thanks!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Med Comb0: Loratidine and Zyrtec
Reply #1 - 10/08/12 at 10:07:07

Jbean,
I have done the opposite!  I stopped the Zyrtec and started the Loratidine.
I noticed the zyrtec started to make my heart beat fast after taking it a year and that was not the normal reaction.  At my last appointment I discussed this with the Dr.  I also told him of my scary reactions with Atarax.  I told him that the atarax used to be my emergency meds. but the last 2 times I took it (not as an emergency, just a test) It made my throat swell. Sad
So I was really sad to see the zyrtec make may heart race because the atarax did that before the swelling started.  So he told me something I didn't know...zyrtec has atarax in it!  So I guess it made since that if I had a reaction to one I would have a reaction to the other.

The year I was able to take the zyrtec I would say I thought it worked well.  
To me it seemed a little stronger than the loratidine!
I never had any problems with side effects!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Med Comb0: Loratidine and Zyrtec
Reply #2 - 10/09/12 at 08:33:45

Thanks Pam!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print