Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zyflo, Aspirin, prednisone and maybe Hydroxyurea (Read 5970 times)
bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Zyflo, Aspirin, prednisone and maybe Hydroxyurea
09/14/12 at 06:07:59

My Doctor seems bound and determined to make me better.   I was diagnosed about 7 years ago and probably have had minor symptoms of systemic Masto going back 30yrs.  Right now I take Zantac, Zyrtec, gastrocrom, and accolade.  I have never had an event of Anaphylaxis (knock on wood).  But about once a year I flair bad enough (vomiting, diarhea, faint) that I cannot handle it and have to go to the hospital for 24-48 hrs of IV antihistamines, fluid and anti vomit drugs.   I have some symptoms most every day but they pass and do not affect about 90% of what I want to do.   But my Trypase is high (>400).  I tested positive for the c-kit mutation 7 years ago but a test a few months ago showed negative for it.  I can't do anything that will make me get hot (aerobic exercise, hot summer days, any fever).

My doctor, Dr. Kursteen Price, in Portland OR is familiar with the disease and knows and is in contact with Dr. Marianna Castell.   They are suggesting that I switch from the accolade to Zytol and then try some aspirin.  The zytol is suppose to desensitize me from the aspirin.  I know that I react to ibuprofen but am not sure about aspirin.

She also prescribed some prednisone for my next major flair up.  I used to take benedryl but it has become very ineffective lately.  I have had more luck with ketotifen and/or hyroxizine.  But some times that is not enough.

She said that Dr. Castell said that I should also consider taking some Hydroxyurea.   The thought is that it would lower the risk of the disease progressing to leukemia (no sign of that now) and that it would reduce the number of mutated mast cells and therefore improve my symptoms.  But a little google research by me shows that hydroxyurea has lots of side effects and is basically chemo.   And I still feel pretty good 95% of the time right now without that.  

So..... any experience or thoughts on Zyflo, Aspirin, Prednisone, and hydroxyurea?

Note that I did get a lot of good response when I asked about just the aspirin a while ago.

Thanks

So m

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Zyflo, Aspirin, prednisone and maybe Hydroxyurea
Reply #1 - 09/14/12 at 09:39:56

if I was going to try aspirin I would do it in the doctors office...
redbird

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/14/12 at 09:43:49

prednisone is a happy pill...boy will it make you feel better but be sure and research the effect on a long term basis before you commit yourself to a long term ...I have taken the prednisone pkg when necessary and feel really good during that time...
but just my opinion only.....I would never go on it without an exit plan
redbird

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/14/12 at 18:02:46

Hi Bob,

I'm confused about your post.  Some of it doesn't seem right for systemic mastocytosis, which you appear to have.  Why would hydroxyurea be recommended to reduce the number of mutated mast cells when you test negative for mutation?  Have you already been diagnosed with another myeloproliferative disorder?  I'm not saying you shouldn't take it, just wondering why it would be prescribed under the circumstances you described.

Zytol is a medicine for lowering uric acid, so I don't know why that would be a substitute for Accolate (similar to Singulair) which blocks leukotrienes.

Have you consulted a hematologist?  You are not far from Palo Alto, where Dr. Jason Gotlib is a hematologist at Stanford University Medical Center.  He is an expert on mast cell disease and other hematological diseases, including leukemias.  Dr. Gotlib is also very familiar with a new medicine, midostaurin, which is currently in trials to treat both ASM and Mast Cell Leukemia.  It has low side effects and is showing promise in both diseases.  I posted his contact information under the doctors heading on this forum, if you want to contact him.  Your doctor could call him, too, to see what his recommendation might be.  He is in close contact with the SM experts in Boston, too, so can confer with them if needed.

If there's any possible way, I would encourage you to see Dr. Gotlib or another hematologist who is an expert in mast cell diseases for another opinion before you begin chemotherapy.

If you don't mind posting what else you find out, there are several of us with SM who are interested in possible new treatments.

Joan

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #4 - 09/15/12 at 04:29:33

Joan wrote on 09/14/12 at 18:02:46:
Hi Bob,

I'm confused about your post.  Some of it doesn't seem right for systemic mastocytosis, which you appear to have.  Why would hydroxyurea be recommended to reduce the number of mutated mast cells when you test negative for mutation?  Have you already been diagnosed with another myeloproliferative disorder?  I'm not saying you shouldn't take it, just wondering why it would be prescribed under the circumstances you described.

Zytol is a medicine for lowering uric acid, so I don't know why that would be a substitute for Accolate (similar to Singulair) which blocks leukotrienes.

Have you consulted a hematologist?  You are not far from Palo Alto, where Dr. Jason Gotlib is a hematologist at Stanford University Medical Center.  He is an expert on mast cell disease and other hematological diseases, including leukemias.  Dr. Gotlib is also very familiar with a new medicine, midostaurin, which is currently in trials to treat both ASM and Mast Cell Leukemia.  It has low side effects and is showing promise in both diseases.  I posted his contact information under the doctors heading on this forum, if you want to contact him.  Your doctor could call him, too, to see what his recommendation might be.  He is in close contact with the SM experts in Boston, too, so can confer with them if needed.

If there's any possible way, I would encourage you to see Dr. Gotlib or another hematologist who is an expert in mast cell diseases for another opinion before you begin chemotherapy.

If you don't mind posting what else you find out, there are several of us with SM who are interested in possible new treatments.

Thanks for the reply.   It's zyflo not zytol and I was told that is was a luekotreine inhibitor?

As to the hydroxyurea.... I think because I tested positive for c-kit 7 years ago and my tryptase has doubled, that my allergist does not believe the current negative results.  So she wants to send a blood test to the mayo clinic.  I always thought you needed a bone marrow  test for c-kit but she claims that they can do it from a blood test?

I saw Dr. Gotlib about 7 years ago when he was first starting his drug study.  He said he wanted to include me on it but he had only used it on two patients and both were too advanced with leukemia for positive results.   My allergist then in Sacramento, Dr. Romary Halllet, and I decided that that my Masto was indolent and not agressive so I passed.

My hematologist in Portland, Dr. Soo,  says that chemo would do no good without a positive c-kit.  I have communicated with another hematologist up here, Dr. Mauro, who knows Dr. Gotlib.   He is familiar with the chemo that Gotlib is working on and is willing to talk to me.

So..... I think I will not do this till I do this blood sample with Mayo and see the results because I manage this disease fairly well and only have to go to the ER about once or twice a year.  Those times are not very fun..... But any long term chemo.....

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 09/15/12 at 08:24:57

Glad to hear you're on top of this and have already seen Dr. Gotlib in the past and consulting a hematologist now.  I just saw him and was happy to hear the Midostaurin trials are going so well, since I have the C-kit mutation.

You may already know this, but there are different types of chemo used in patients with or without a positive c-kit mutation.  If you don't have the mutation, Gleevec can be very good.  Midostaurin is used for people with positive C-kit.  Yes, Zyflo is similar to Accolate and Singulair.

I'm also lucky not to have too many daily symptoms.  My understanding is that if it gets to a point where my CBCs and bone studies show more abnormalities, then some type of stronger intervention might be warranted.  Have you had a bone survey and/or bone density done?  If not, that might be something to ask about.

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #6 - 09/15/12 at 09:26:36

Bob,
I agree with you.  Unless I am misunderstanding this...Why bring out the "big guns" for just a few weeks out of the year!  I mean if I were in your shoes I think I would wait until chemo was the ONLY/NEEDED option.
(I don't like being a guinea pig) Even though all of us mast cell people kind of are!
Good Luck,
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #7 - 09/21/12 at 19:07:48

Joan wrote on 09/15/12 at 08:24:57:
Glad to hear you're on top of this and have already seen Dr. Gotlib in the past and consulting a hematologist now.  I just saw him and was happy to hear the Midostaurin trials are going so well, since I have the C-kit mutation.

You may already know this, but there are different types of chemo used in patients with or without a positive c-kit mutation.  If you don't have the mutation, Gleevec can be very good.  Midostaurin is used for people with positive C-kit.  Yes, Zyflo is similar to Accolate and Singulair.

I'm also lucky not to have too many daily symptoms.  My understanding is that if it gets to a point where my CBCs and bone studies show more abnormalities, then some type of stronger intervention might be warranted.  Have you had a bone survey and/or bone density done?  If not, that might be something to ask about.

I had a baseline bone density 7 years ago it did show some porosity but nothing too bad.  I hd it repeated early this year.  Again porosity and it was worse but still not bad.

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #8 - 09/21/12 at 19:13:18

PamH wrote on 09/15/12 at 09:26:36:
Bob,
I agree with you.  Unless I am misunderstanding this...Why bring out the "big guns" for just a few weeks out of the year!  I mean if I were in your shoes I think I would wait until chemo was the ONLY/NEEDED option.
(I don't like being a guinea pig) Even though all of us mast cell people kind of are!
Good Luck,
Pam

Yes I think I will wait till after I get new blood test.  Dr. Price says that the Mayo clinic can get the same results as a biopsy ( c-kit results) in a new blood test???   Anyhow if its bad then I will get a second opinion.

IP Logged

bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Reply #9 - 09/21/12 at 19:18:22

One other strange thing.  7 years ago my BMB showed I was + for C-kit.   But the BMB this year was negative????   And the Hematologist went on and on about how much more accurate the test was compared to 7 years ago.  The BMB's were in different locations.  The first was the side of the hip and the second was in the upper back portion of my hip.  So I am confused.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 09/22/12 at 10:00:44

Sounds like a hematologist question.  If I had to guess, I'd think there would be places in the bones without abnormal mast cells.  

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #11 - 09/22/12 at 11:50:18

I thought I read that there are a lot of false negatives with the BMB.

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 09/24/12 at 04:51:57

Bob;
I agree with Red: I'd be very careful with aspirin. It is guaranteed to make my face swell up so bad I can hardly see
& takes up to two weeks to go down, & body aches  badly for days. Tylenol is safe. Prednisone has a lot of negative effects longterm- but yes, sometimes your doc.s may feel the good outweighs the bad.  The "medical world" is always making advances, and maybe in 7 yr.s they do know more (let's hope so).
I will keep you in my thoughts  & hope your doctors can put their heads together to treat you correctly  Smiley
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print