Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Could ketotifen increase anxiety, ocd, moodiness? (Read 3137 times)
Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Could ketotifen increase anxiety, ocd, moodiness?
09/07/12 at 11:13:37

Daughter started ketotifen on 8/6 and I am wondering if her worsening of psych sx's could be from that.  I just tried calling Castells office and she is out of town til Tues and we are not officialing a patient yet.  We have had phone consults is all.  Any insight??

IP Logged

Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Could ketotifen increase anxiety, ocd, moodiness?
Reply #1 - 09/09/12 at 18:33:02

In case anyone is interested. she stopped the ketotifen is back being my sweet suffering child and not the devil.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 09/09/12 at 20:56:13

Anything is possible. Every individual is unique in how they react to medications.

So glad she's better now!

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 09/10/12 at 03:17:12

Julie:
I've been on ketitofin now for 9 months & it's helped me, but had to get the dose right & adjust my other meds to go with it. It made me real tired when I was using it with Zyrtec & being tired made me real crabby. Once I traded the zrytec for alegra, not as tired less crabby.
I've always had OCD, but saw no change there.I don't know how you all do it working with a child who has a form of masto. It's tough enough as a person with masto trying to understand my body much less trying to get info from your child to help them.
MikeV

IP Logged

Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 09/10/12 at 04:43:32

My daughter seems to never get drowsy from meds. I am pretty sure she is having some issues making her own neurotransmitters or too much glutamate,etc..she get excitatory symptoms with B vitamins and apparently ketotifen.  My daughter was very scary mean and rageful. The interesting part is the exact same thing happened on neuroprotek this summer. I think somehow stabilizing mast cells for her creates a drop in serotonin.  She is unique. I think she has some metabolic issues we have not identified.  She is also IgE positive to everything on her RAST test except meat, fish and eggs.  IgE as high as 2200. That may not be typical for mcas.  I can't wait to see what castells says about all of this.  my daughter has migraines, psoriasis, hashimotos all implicated with mast cells.  thank you for all the support. I feel like she has to get worse to figure out the next step..ugh!

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #5 - 09/10/12 at 12:35:21

Just wanted to say I'm sorry.  It's so hard trying to figure this all out.  May I ask how you started the ketotifen, did you have to work your way up to the appropriate dose like with oral cromolyn?  I know you've probably told me before but is she on oral cromolyn?  

I'm sure your appointment with Dr. Castells can't come soon enough.  Hang in there.

IP Logged

Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/12/12 at 04:05:01

We stared ketotifen after phone consult with dr castells and then dr castells spoke to our local dr - who prescribed it.  her reaction to this was not immediate.  we started with 1 mg a day and then went to 2 mg a day.  I must say this reaction was much like neuroprotek.  It took about 2 wks to notice increase depression, anxiety and rage.  once off it was almost immediate change back to improved mood and no rage- just typical moodiness, hypoglycemia stuff, etc...

we started gastrocrom slowly from our dysautonomia dr in virginia.  she started with 1 vial before each meal.  it took a couple months before we progressed to 2 vials.  she had worsening of bloating sx's at first but we were told to hang in there.  after the first month her GERD seemed better.  she has been on this for almost 1 year.  it helped GI stuff:)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print