Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving right along in masto land.. (Read 1396 times)
Islander
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Moving right along in masto land..
08/26/12 at 14:06:43

Hello from Vancouver Island,

Been here for a bit but haven't introduced myself so wanted to take a moment and at least say hi.  I'm a retired nurse and have had a lifetime of bizarre symptoms that are just now all fitting together.

If I look at the symptom lists of others, I can pretty much relate to most of them at one time or another over the years.  

Ten years ago the symptoms began to escalate, I believe due to the shock and stress of finding my biological family after a lifetime of searching.

In 2005 I moved across Canada to get to know the 'new family' and within a year things began to go sideways.  My biological mother died and reality sank in.  I have 2 biological sisters and the relationship with them became very toxic.  I crashed, emotionally and physically and quickly became very ill with what I thought then was CFIDS and Fibro along with emphysema.

Since 07 my symptoms have become more acute with frequent anaphylaxis both GI and Respiratory.  Along with the long list of other symptoms that most of you also have my life became caught in the frustrating journey of trying to find answers, getting on the proper meds and searching for someone that understood.  It's been a challenge to say the least and I'm grateful for sites like this where folks do "get it".

Last month I hit the bottom in frustration, illness and hopelessness. Canadian Health care has many wonderful things but in others, we are far behind and finding knowlegeable doctors in this field is almost impossible.  I made the decision to head to the States.  I will be seeing Dr.Afrin on Sept 5th and I feel so much better having taken back control of my health care.  From what I have read here he is wonderful and so far, just from the emails I can tell he is a compassionate and dedicated doctor.

If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate the info.  I'm taking a folded cooler bag as suggested.  I am travelling alone and will be there a week. I have my hotel booked as well.  Since I'm a self pay and am having a difficult time getting any info re the cost if anyone can give me some ideas it would be a big help.  Thanks. Wink

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Moving right along in masto land..
Reply #1 - 08/26/12 at 18:22:43

Islander,
Welcome!!
Sounds like you are definatly on the right track!
Bravo for taking your healthcare in your own hands.  People with mast cell disorders really need doctores that know their stuff!
Good luck,
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Moving right along in masto land..
Reply #2 - 08/26/12 at 19:52:34

Nice to see you here as well Islander!! You are doing such a great job!

Hope the trip brings many helpful things!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print