Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Meds for high blood pressure (hypertension) (Read 2149 times)
NMLiz
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Meds for high blood pressure (hypertension)
08/22/12 at 07:29:12

Is anyone on meds for high blood pressure? I know many folks have POTS, but my partner (recently diagnosed with SM) has very high blood pressure, and she's having trouble finding a medication that works.

She was on lisinopril, but our doctor said that lisinopril (and other ACE inhibitors) are bad for masto and could be causing the swelling of her lips & gums when she shocks. She can't take beta blockers because then the epi-pen won't work. She tried Norvasc and had a horrible reaction to it.

She is now taking 2 diuretics--one reduced potassium and the other one is supposed to increase it. BUT she is having terrible leg cramps after only a couple of days on the new meds. She stopped the one that reduces potassium.

It seems like she is reacting so much to everything that she reacts horribly to any new med. (She was just recently diagnosed, and we are trying to get our insurance to approve Gastocrom; she is taking Zantac and Zyrtec.)

She has a couple of other chronic illnesses so she takes about 10 medications every day. SO hard to find a new one that doesn't trigger her.

Thanks!!!

Liz

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Meds for high blood pressure (hypertension)
Reply #1 - 08/22/12 at 16:43:41

I'm currently taking Norvasc (amlodopine bensylate) at night.  I started and stopped more than once.  I had to start with 1/2 a pill and work my way up.  Check on drug interactions with other meds.  The beta blockers made me so sick (before I knew about MCAS).

IP Logged

NMLiz
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Meds for high blood pressure (hypertension)
Reply #2 - 08/23/12 at 06:49:54

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, she had a pretty bad reaction to Norvasc, including tarry black stools and nausea.

I made an appt. to see a cardiologist next week--I'll report back.

Liz

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print