Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prednisone and Florinef: so much water retention (Read 4248 times)
CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you
are living in the present

Maine
Prednisone and Florinef: so much water retention
08/10/12 at 07:20:21

Is there anyone on Prednisone daily and Florinef? This Autoimmune Mast Cell disease is possibly eating my adrenal glands and they are not working to keep salt and water in my body. I am taking Prednisone daily to decrease the anaphylactic attacks and am now on Florinef daily for my adrenal glands. I am so filled with water that I cant even put my arm down without getting a mark accross my arm. Anyone have good ideas to get rid of water retention without a diuretic?

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: Prednisone and Florinef: so much water retention
Reply #1 - 08/16/12 at 15:08:17

The primary reason to take the Florinef is to increase your water retention.  That's its main purpose.  I take natural licorice root extract (with glycyrrhizin) instead, but for the same reason, to increase my water retention in order to try to keep my blood pressure up.  (I prefer the licorice root because I can vary my dosage more easily with it.)  If you want to reduce the water retention, talk to your doctor about lowering the Florinef.  

Based on my husband's experience, though, you're going to continue to be pretty darn puffy as long as you're on the prednisone.  Long before I was diagnosed, a doctor wanted to put me on prednisone to see if it would help me.  My endocrinologist felt it was too drastic, so we compromised and I started taking Cortef, which supplemented my adrenals without going to a full replacement dose.  If I really needed an extra boost, I would take an extra 2.5mg.  Cortef in generic form is also relatively inexpensive.

You might try discussing this with your doctor, to see if you can come to a compromise that you're more comfortable with.  I always prefer trying to limit side affects of meds, rather than taking more meds to deal with the side effects.  The more meds you throw in (and you're already on a lot), the more likely you'll have drug interactions and the harder to identify which are helping and which are hurting.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 08/16/12 at 15:48:44

I had a reaction to Florinef. Started it because they thought my adrenals had packed it in from the steroids I received for anaphylaxis and they thought my lack of adrenal function was contributing to my POTS.

Was on prednisone for 6 months and my lytes were whacky, BP/HR all over the map, adrenal function questioned. Following a switch to hydrocortisone and a slowww taper off of the prednisone ALL of those issues resolved (continued to take MCAS meds). Thanks God

We're all so different and it's so hard to make sense of anything when our symptoms are all over the map. I wish you all the best

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you

Maine
Reply #3 - 08/17/12 at 02:01:28

Thank you Kat for the advice, I will talk to my doctor about Cortef. I talked to the pharmacist about how full of water I am, and he said the only solution would be to put me on another steroid instead of Prednisone, like Imuran (never heard of it) which doesnt have the bloating side effect so this will minimize the bloating that I already get from the Florinef.

Thank you Anaphylaxing for your advice as well. I am hoping that they will start to taper the Prednisone soon, but 7 months being in the ER every week, and now its been 5 or so weeks since I have been in the ER, i dont see them stopping this anytime soon Sad I will also ask my doctor about hydrocortisone to see if this is something I can try.

Kat you are so right, with all of these side effects it is so hard to tell whats working and whats not working and what I would be like without all of these meds.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/17/12 at 04:55:30

I would talk to your current doctor about reducing the dosages of some of your meds (the Florinef and prednisone in particular).  Other than that, I'd wait to see what Drs. Castells and Greenberger say (so glad to see you're going to see them!!!!)

As for Imuran, it is a hard-core immune suppressant, not really a steroid (my husband is on it for Crohn's), and not something to take lightly.  But then, prednisone, which is an anti-inflammatory, can be even more toxic taken over a long term.  

Oh, and Ana and I are telling you the same thing...Cortef is a name brand for hydrocortisone.  It's basically serving the same function as cortisol in your body.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 08/17/12 at 08:50:14

I would try to get them to max you out on H1, H2 blockers and mast cell stabilizers, antileukotrienes, and even inhaled steroids if necessary to see if oral steroids can be tapered. This is what was not done soon enough with me and allowed me eventually to tolerate a slow taper.

Steroids are a last resort as you probably know but so many docs use them as a go to. I'd also want to be maxed out on the above before trying Imuran which is very potent also. That being said if you max out on other things sometimes they are necessary, but the mast cell docs don't use them unless there are no other options

Can you get to Boston or South Carolina to see an expert?

All the best!

Ana

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you

Maine
Reply #6 - 08/19/12 at 01:59:31

Thank you Kat and Ana, I didnt realize Cortef is the same as Hydrocortisone.

Yes Ana, I have been seeing doctors at the Lahey Clinic in Boston and they are still not helping me, so now my PCP is referring me to Dr. Greenberger and Dr. Castells at Brigham and Woman's hospital. I am hoping to get in with them soon, but for the meantime I am dealing with this egotistical Immunologist at Lahey and a GI doctor that says he has no clue whats wrong with me (Although I would rather he admit he doesnt know, than let his ego get in the way). Prednisone was their last resort, but I was in the ER every week with Anaphylaxis for several months even though I am on several H1's and H2's and Gastrocrom, so they said for now I am staying on Prednisone. Hopefully this will change once I get in with Dr. Castells. Thank you for the advice!!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 08/19/12 at 08:18:09

Ohhh I'm so glad you are going to BWH. Things will turn around for you! Get in as soon as you can!

I would think they will try to get you off the steroids like they did with me.

Have you ever tried ketotifen? Have you been able to sort out/eliminate triggers or are your reactions too constant?

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you

Maine
Reply #8 - 08/20/12 at 04:19:14

Anaphylaxing: Thank you, I am happy as well that I am finally being referred to BWH. I just hope that I dont have to wait for a long time to get appointments. I have never tried ketofin. I have been working on trying to figure out my triggers, sometimes it is just so random that I cant figure it out. Last night I was on the phone with my friend and all of a sudden my face was burning, I had hives all over my chest and neck and I rushed and got benadryl and my inhaler hoping it didnt get worse. My father had just used bleach in the other room to clean and I had also accidentaly touched a bowl that had Tuna in it, so i am thinking maybe the tuna or the bleach, i dont know. Then this morning I am sitting on the computer and got hives on my legs, time for more benadryl. The good news is that the benadryl for the most part has been able to control it from getting worse along with the 21 other meds I am on. But sometimes it doesnt control it and I have to get Epi, this hasnt happened in over a month or so which is good. I know for sure one of my triggers is heat, and I have a true allergy to tree nuts, besides that, its still a work in progress Sad

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #9 - 08/20/12 at 14:57:57

Sorry you had a reaction.

I'm IgE positive to tree nuts too Smiley

For me talking on the phone or conversations more than a few mins cause my tongue to swell and start the symptom cascade so when I'm flaring everyone knows I'm not up for conversation.

Glad the Benadryl is helping.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print