Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
UP question (Read 6767 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
UP question
07/06/12 at 02:31:10

I have a question for those of you with urticaria pigmentosa. Do your lessions come and go? Or are they fixed and permanant? Are they only brown or does anyone get red lessions? I saw my new masto doctor at Vanderbilt yesterday. He said several things that I am not confident of so I am going to do some research for answers. I am going to post a different thread about things he said so I can get some feedback. This UP question is one of them. I appreciate any input on this. Thanks buddies  Wink

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: UP question
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 05:47:52

redbird here who has UP...
please tell doctor that I have BOTH red and brown spots..diag.by skin bio...
also my spots never leave they just stay and stay and stay

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 07:53:08

Thanks redbird. Sorry you have to contend with those spots. Do they itch all the time or on and off?

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/06/12 at 08:52:49

Kim;
To answer your question- Yes, yes, and yes.
Cheesy Im sorry, don't mean to laugh sweetie- but it beats cryin.
I had hives for almost a year straight before I found a dr. with
some knowledge & a willingness to learn. Makes ya wanna slap
the ones that don't. They just pass out meds & no answers.
Thank God we have each other!  Smiley
lori

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #4 - 07/06/12 at 09:46:32

I am sorry Lori. I understand your frustration. And crying is ok sometimes if you make sure you get back up and put your boxing gloves back on.
So you get lesions that come and go? Even red ones? I only get one very large one on my lower back/upper buttock area. Been getting this since I was 9 years old.  When it starts its not so big. And if ITCHES like mad. By about day two or three its huge. These little fluid filled bumps appear on top the lesion. Eventually they pop and scab and the whole thing is gone within near a week of onset. I took a picture back in March of one to show the doctor. I  knew it would be gone before my next appt. I showed this to my new Vanderbilt doctor but he said UP lesions don't go away and they are brown. I just want confirmation from the real experts, those who have it, before I accept that this is not what I have. I wouldn't disbelieve this doctor if he hadn't denied other known mastocytosis facts.
Thanks for your help! Hang in there girl.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 07/06/12 at 10:36:13

Kim;
You sure are original girl !
I've had hives that itch/don't itch(every shape n size); pink spots, red spots, pink/red spots with white rings around em, & leave brown freckle lookin dots behind; lesions that look like a tear in my skin & sting like a sonofagun; but I've never had what you're describing. Smart girl to take a picture to show the dr. !
Geez- we really have some variety thrown in with all our common issues!
Most of mine don't itch- so I consider myself very lucky: when it's real bad- I scare people with them   Grin
lori

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #6 - 07/06/12 at 10:44:48

Hahahaha! You made me laugh so hard Lori. Saying I'm original. With all my oddness my family calls me 'special' and we all laugh. You just confirmed their suspicions! LOL Cheesy

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 07/06/12 at 11:04:27

Kim;
I am not sayin what my family calls me  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #8 - 07/06/12 at 11:48:08

Well at least you're not alone Wink
Here's a funny one for ya. Last weekend we traveled up to Indiana for my son's wedding. After the wedding we drove back to the hotel to find a recycling plant within a mile of the hotel was on fire. As I was watching from our room window I was commenting about the tall factory smoke stacks but couldn't think of the right word (brain fog here) so I said 'sky pipes'! Haha. Just a little peek into one of my 'special' moments Smiley

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 07/06/12 at 19:50:52

Kim could this lesion be dermatitis herpetiformis? I researched this a while ago so I have forgotten all the details but it might be worth googling. I do remember it can be associated with gluten sensitivity. Just a thought.

Ruth

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #10 - 07/07/12 at 02:54:43

Ruth,I haven't  heard of that but I will most certainly look it up. Thank you!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #11 - 07/07/12 at 03:07:08

I think it would be best to just see a dermatologist and get it check out next time I get one. Thanks for the input everyone.

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 07/08/12 at 08:45:02

Wow I finally heard of someone who gets what I used too get as a child it happened only in between my fingers it would start as redness and intense itching than it would become Hugh water blisters then they would pop and be gone when I was older as soon as I started getting the intense itching I would put tape like surgical tape in between my fingers so I would not itch and it seemed too not allow the water blisters too come I never got it dx it went away and never came back by time I was 17 but I had it from about 9-17 years of age one way getting out oh homework lol

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #13 - 07/08/12 at 09:31:55

No homework?! Lucky you. Lol. So you have not had it again since age 17? It will be interesting to find out what this is after all this years. It will be awhile before I get another one but once I get a confirmation as to what exactly it is, I will let you know.

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #14 - 07/09/12 at 11:24:32

Kim,

I had UP spots since 1994 when they first started appearing.  This past year they have all but disappeared this past winter.  Docs can't tell me why but I still have all the SM symptoms which seem alot worse.  Last week early in the morning while it was still about 80, cloudy and humid I did some yard work, the itching red hive UP spots came back.  I went took a cold shower and took benedryl every 4 hrs because I just kept reacting, flushing, nausea, itching, cramping etc.  The next day I felt a little better and the spots were gone.  I have no clue what's going on, unless they are very faint and I am tan enough to hide them.  But normally UP stays with you for life.  I am just afraid mine are going to come back with a vengence.

Wendy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print