Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody taking baby aspirin (Read 4925 times)
bobkeenan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Portland, or
Anybody taking baby aspirin
06/07/12 at 06:24:42

My doctor seems to think that baby aspirin could help with my symptoms.   I know I react to Ibuprofin but I am not sure about aspirin.  

Anybody else getting a recommendation like that?  Are you taking it?  Any help?

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Re: Anybody taking baby aspirin
Reply #1 - 06/07/12 at 08:28:15

Depends what mast cell issue you have.  I have SM and I can't take baby aspirin, it sets off the anaphylaxis.  Masto's have to be very careful if the doc tries them on baby aspirin some can tolerate it, others can't.  Not sure though how aspirin effects these other MCAS or MCAD stuff.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 06/07/12 at 12:30:00

If you can tolerate it, aspirin is good for flushing prostaglandins out of your body, which should reduce the pain and flushing.  As Wendy noted, however, not all mast cell patients can tolerate it.  Unless you know you have a problem with blood thinners (I do), I wouldn't assume that aspirin will/won't work for you.  You just have to try it... cautiously.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/07/12 at 23:01:58

Many people here are sensitive to salicylates, naturally-occurring substances that is in most plants as a natural defense and that also happen to be THE ingredient in aspirin.  I would be very careful in testing aspirin and even if you are initially able to tolerate it, if you take it every day you may eventually develop a sensitivity.  

IP Logged

gd0001
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 09/01/12 at 20:25:51

i felt it improved my cognitive symptoms, but i had to stop because it gave me stomach pain and nausea.
I want to try celbrex or singulair instead, as they block prostoglandins also

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/02/12 at 14:00:28

I can't take coated adult asprin or baby asprin due to the dyes, as they make me anaphylax,so that leaves me uncoated adult asprin.  I have found Bayer to have fewer inactive ingredients.

While I don't take the adult asprin on a reuglar basis due to stomach pain and nausea, it is extremely helpful when I get one of those nagging headaches that nothing else will touch.  I avoid the stomach issues by taking a dye free Benedryl gel tab 30 minutes prior to taking the asprin.  It works everytime for me to stop the prostaglandin cascade.      

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 09/03/12 at 16:49:30

I've been taking turmeric capsules, which also contain salicylates, but don't seem to bother my stomach if I take them with food.  Two, 350 mg. capsules a day have cleared my aches and pain, which I believe are from prostaglandins.  I add more vitamin K vegetables and Ester C supplements to my diet if I start to bruise more, which can happen with aspirin too.

For stomach problems, Bufferin might be helpful instead of aspirin.

Joan

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #7 - 09/04/12 at 03:05:30

Bob:
Depends on what symtom you're working on. My doc recommends baby aspirin for flushing, but I'm nasids intolerant, so don't take it. If it's for pain. & you have trouble with tylonal, maybe it's the tablet
version that is the problem. I take liquid tylonal w/ good result. It's hard to find, in fact generic is the only way as tylonel quit producing
their cherry blast. The only problem with it is the taste, have to add something to it, it tastes so bad. But helps w/pain.
MikeV

IP Logged

Rocky 9801
Tutor

What the hell happened???!!

St Louis, MO
Reply #8 - 09/04/12 at 06:25:16

Bob -I take a coated whole aspirin and have no problems with it. It is recommended by my doctor at WAsh U- Dr. Wedner.
As most folks on here have already indicated, tolerance of aspirin is highly variable with masto.

John

Grandpa, which wolf wins the fight....the good one or the bad onel??

The one you feed, son. The one you feed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print