Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Heavy Duty Pain Killers Can Be Used at End of Life if Morphine is Out??? (Read 1610 times)
Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
What Heavy Duty Pain Killers Can Be Used at End of Life if Morphine is Out???
05/26/12 at 12:47:07

I'm watching my mother pass into eternity.  She's still here, but I'm noticing that Morphine seems to be the drug of choice for any kind of suffering.

This leads me to......what would doctors be able to give me in order to control majorly uncomfortable situations? I am an MCAS patient, who responds horribly to codeine and other "controlled substances" I've been given except the anesthetic propofol for a colonoscopy.  I really want to know the answer to this so that I can have it written down for future reference.

I will also ask Dr.Afrin when I see him. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Re: What Heavy Duty Pain Killers Can Be Used at End of Life if Morphine is Out???
Reply #1 - 05/26/12 at 14:26:33

Well I volunteer with hospice. There are many meds that they use.  One of the popular ones is the fentynel patch, its stronger than morphine.  Also they will give morphine as an assist if there is break thru pain.  I have Systemic Masto so maybe its difference for you but when I had my liver biopsy and bone marrow biopsy and brain surgery they gave me lots of benedryl before they gave me fentynal, prophofol and morphine.  They just had to watch very carefully for the anaphylaxis.  I do not take pain meds now because it does set off the anaphylaxis most of the time so I just avoid it but if there comes a time that I am actively dying, I would want whatever they could give me to make me comfortable.  If your doctors know what disease you have they will know what meds to give you and its the doctor who will put you on hospice and instruct the nurses on treatment and meds.  You really don't need to worry about that now.  You thinking about it and stressing over it is not good for you, you need to be there for your mom.  If she is on hospice there are booklet they can give you to read so you know exactly what is happening with your mom, the stages of actively dying etc so that you know what to expect.  It is a totally natural process, harder on the family left behind emotionally than on the patient.  I have been on sacred vigils w/ actively dying patients so if you want to PM me we can talk about what is happening w/your mom.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: What Heavy Duty Pain Killers Can Be Used at End of Life if Morphine is Out???
Reply #2 - 05/26/12 at 17:14:23

So sorry to hear what you're going through with your Mom.   Stress is such a powerful trigger both now and later.  Be sure to take good care of yourself and be mindful of your own symptoms and triggers as you walk this road.  I've been there, so understand how hard a time this must be.

Joan

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/27/12 at 03:50:41

@Wendy,
Thank you for your caring words.  I have another thread to address how I can better able to handle the stress of an impending death.

This thread, I do have real concerns about my end of life and the medications they will be able to use on me.  None of my current doctors understands MCAS, so relying on them is asking to be killed by the wrong drugs.  I will have to ask Dr. Afrin when I see him.

@Joan,
Thank you for your words of warning.  I probably should think about having a benzodiazepine on hand before I devolve into a nervous breakdown.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 05/27/12 at 09:12:50

Hope,

There comes a place where we just must sit back and TRUST OUR DOCTORS!!!

I was very concerned about how they were going to deal with me with my open heart surgery for many patients they will lower their temperatures in order to help protect the organs when they put the patient on the heart/lung bypass machine.  Cold is a trigger for mast cell patients.  I was also concerned about what pain meds they would use, another triggering issue.   And there were other concerns I had, but there comes a place where you've just got to do some trusting that these men and women know their job and will do RIGHT by you when you are in a place where you can't take care of yourself.  

Your job is to find the RIGHT DOCTORS whom YOU CAN TRUST.   If you do your job right, right now, in finding those qualified doctors who can and will take care of you, then WHEN THAT TIME COMES, you can RELAX and let them do their job in taking care of your needs and in taking care of you.

My surgery was a complete sucess.  Yes, I had some issues with reacting and triggering and we couldn't use heavy duty pain meds either.  I found out that I could get through the pain taking one moment at a time and that I DIDN'T NEED heavy duty pain meds!!   They had me on Tylenol and Dipirona - a good NSAID we have here in Brazil.  I was on very, very mild pain relievers and with my own working with the pain and not against it, I GOT THROUGH IT ALL!!!

It was WONDERFUL TO LET GO OF THE WORRIES and put them on my doctor's shoulders as it should be at a time like that!!!

This is what you will also have to do.   I'm CERTAIN that your doctors will be very mindful of you and whatever you are going through to keep you as comfortable as possible and with as little reacting at just such a time.  

SO BE AT PEACE!   This is one worry that you should not worry about - not yet anyway.  Find the right doctors and then LET IT GO!   You've got loads of other, more pressing issues that need your energy, this is one for the back shelf for now, sweety.

Kiss
Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print