Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ketotifen vs Gastrocom (Read 6372 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Ketotifen vs Gastrocom
05/24/12 at 06:54:32

Has anyone had GI problems with gastrocrom but not had them with ketotifen? Got great muscle and joint pain results w gastro but killed my gi...looking for next alternative.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Ketotifen vs Gastrocom
Reply #1 - 05/24/12 at 11:11:34

I had GI problems with gastrocrom the first time I tried it, but did it again, working up from a small part of a vial in a lot of water to now taking 4 vials/day.  That doesn't work for everybody, though.

At the Colorado Support Group meeting a few weeks ago, Dr. Theoharides' lecture was comparing the effectiveness of luteolin vs. gastrocrom.  According to his research, luteolin was more effective.  He and some other doctors have put together a formula containing luteolin and other flavonoids called NeuroProtek.  It's being used for other things, too, but apparently MC patients are having good luck with it.  It's anti-inflammatory, too.  What I don't know is whether it's any easier on the stomach than Grastrocrom.

Hope something helps soon!

Joan

Joan

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/24/12 at 11:49:15

Thanks Joan as usual. I have had a great couple of muscle joint pain months after doing a course of gastroc...its been wonderful.  I would like to replicate this without the GI funkyness brought on by gastr...might check into luteolin sounds interesting...might be ic safe too as Dr. Theo has done a lot of work in ic area too.  I have an appt w dr soon and want to decide my next course...summer is my worst joint musc pain time soo need to decide whether to try to finish gastroc or move on...knocking wood pain stays low.  

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #3 - 05/24/12 at 15:16:27

Texan have you tried cymbalta for the bone, joint and muscle pain?  I take 60 mgs a day and it helps.  Still get some break thru pain but not as often and yes Summer is excruciating for anyone with SM too.

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/25/12 at 00:58:59

Thx Wendy...I do take Lyrica with some benefit...ordered the Neuroprotek to try...but will def keep Cymbalta on my list too.  I don't have SM, but jokingly call myself the human barometer, heat is not my friend urggggg and I live in the South!!

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #5 - 05/25/12 at 05:13:39

Tex:
I was lucky enough to be at a meeting where Dr. Theo spoke &
luteolin is something he talks a lot about. I'm now completely on ketotifen but wanted to check if anybody is on luteolin & results.
By the way Dr. Theo stayed another hour after a 4 hr meeting just to talk to us & go more into our individual cases. I just wish that my allergy doc, who treats me for my SM was as sympathetic as him. I was blown away by him. I know he's involved with the company that makes the luteolin but still what a great doc.
MikeV

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/25/12 at 08:25:40

I ordered a bottle of NeuroProtek, gonna give it a whirl.  I can usually tell almost immediately (within a day or two) if I am not going to react well (stomach upset, joint pain, ic flare)...usually takes me longer to see if it is going to help.  Hot muggy weather is getting ready to set in, so we shall see....I am willing to try...next is maybe to check into ketotifen.  I have heard good things about Dr. T. off of the IC boards also.  I don't always handle supplements or herbals well,but am giving it a shot.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #7 - 05/28/12 at 06:10:28

Taking gastrcrom I get the big D when I drink it too fast or with to little water! It makes me belch all the time.  Felt horrible at first, but has made my life bearable!!  I also take ketotifen, it works great for stomach pain.  It made me tired for awhile and it really makes you hungry!

Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print