Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hydroxyzine HCL (Read 8175 times)
jmayk8
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

hydroxyzine HCL
05/02/12 at 23:31:16

So, my appt with Dr. Akin is next week.  In the meantime, I stopped the cromolyn sodium bc it was def making the D much worse. I really tried to stay on it but, there was just no way. I have been off it of for a few a little bit and feeling so much better!
Anyways, I had a derm appt today so I told her about my mast cell activation disorder...She looked in the computer at Dr hamilton's notes (they have some sort of computer software that lets them see all my appts, Dr's notes, tx, dx and blood results. She read thru everything and has heard of mastocytosis herself but, didnt take a biopsy today bc I didnt have the rash. Anyways, she said she wanted me to take a zantac at night and also prescribed me, hydroxyzine HCL-to also take at night. I looked it up online and it said something about anxiety disorders and did mention something about an anti-histamine. Does my derm think im going crazy? Bc if she did I really am going to go crazy!
Cheesy

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: hydroxyzine HCL
Reply #1 - 05/03/12 at 00:46:51

Hydroxyzine is a common and very powerful histamine blocker. Many Masto people take it. I keep it on hand for an emergency med to take if I were shocking (and my last resort before using an epi pen).

I only use it for emergency, though, and have only taken it twice ever. I take 10 mg pill, and for me it is like a sleeping pill! That is the reason I don't like it. It works great for stopping my mast cell reaction, but I feel hungover for 2 days after taking just one pill one time. Now, this could be simply my own personal reaction to the med, because I know of people who take this every day at a higher
dose!

So overall, it is a mast cell histamine blocker and it works great. The question is if you will feel great on it or if will make you feel like you have a hangover as well the next day?

Just FYI: the basic starter meds are Zantac twice/day (some take 150 mg each, some take 300 mg each time), zyrtec once a day (but may take twice if needed), and allegra twice a day (but may take twice if needed). If you take the starter meds and are doing fine, then you don't need to add more powerful ones. Take the Zantac right when you get up in the morning (definitely before eating) and take the second Zantac around 4 or 6 pm, also before eating. (maybe like an hour plus before)

Hope these tips help! (Excuse any typos. I'm writing this on my iPhone....)

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

jmayk8
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/03/12 at 01:12:58

Thank you!!
I was doing the zantac 150mg 2xs a day. Before I ate but, I always seemed to get horrible stomach aches. (Never a symptoms before the zantac).
And I have tried about EVERY H1 and none seem to help, I even tried the childrens liquids of each brand. Benedryl seemed to work (the children's dye free liquid) But it made me sleepy. So I am assuming the new med will knock me out and probably have the same side effects as you. My primary problem is with the GI sypmtoms-no pain, just having a hard time with digestion and going to the bathroom with D a few times a day. I was thinking that the Kefotin (sp?) may be the best med for me but, Ill have to see what Dr Akin says next week.
Thanks again so much!
Jenny

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 05/03/12 at 02:23:12

Since you have no stomach pain (yay! Many of us do!), and the Zantac makes your stomach hurt, then the Zantac doesn't seem very logical. I wonder if you became super strict about avoiding triggers (especially food triggers), if you could control your GI issues through that? There are a few of us who can do minimal meds and control symptoms through adjusting our everyday behavior. I fall into that category. Now because food is such a big trigger for me, I would have to reduce my variety of foods greatly, but I tend to feel rather well until I eat. I know what to avoid eating (the list is long), and if for some weird reason I had no meds, I could probably get by if I was extremely careful about what I ate and drank. Now, I still want my meds, because they also help prevent my skin from feeling itchy and like it is burning. The bottom line, though, is that you might do okay if you kept a food diary to learn what your food triggers are, and then ate very carefully. Avoidance of triggers is just as important as the meds, and many people seem to forget that.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

jmayk8
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/03/12 at 03:17:32

yes, I completely agree 100% with the food. I currently know some of my triggers but, they seem to change all the time esp if I rely on the foods the seem to be okay. I think I need to work on my rotation of foods as well. But, that seems difficult since I only have a few foods that are okay. If that makes sense?? I have brain fog too if you haven't noticed!! Shocked

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/03/12 at 05:07:27

JM;
Deb is right as usual. My former allergist prescribed Hydroxizine at night because then it would help "knock me out"- the itching from chronic hives kept me awake ALL night.  Deb, I think that's good advice about what extra meds we can take. Ive been looking for a post about that for days !  Roll Eyes I try to write stuff down, & keep it somewhat organized, but it helps to see it from time to time. Smiley
lori

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #6 - 05/09/12 at 09:54:25

I just wanted to let you know I take hydroxizine before bed 1 or 2 if I need extra help.  Also somethimes I will take it in an emergency because it seems to work better for me than benedryl!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #7 - 05/26/12 at 14:38:57

I use to take Atarax (hydroxyzine) and it worked great for about a year except wow did I gain weight like when you take steroids.  The first couple of days I was so tired but by the 3rd day or so I was fine with it.  It takes time for your body to adjust to it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print