Send Topic Print
swollen face? (Read 4925 times)
iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

swollen face?
04/28/12 at 06:03:20

Does anyone else get this ?
I woke up this morning with a badly swollen face. It actually hurts, n so does my scalp (feels hivey).  Id had a teeth cleaning,Thursday, & a crown popped off. They glued it back on. Last nite the tooth started aching pretty badly, so of course it was late & no Tylenol in the house- so I took an Excedrin. Hurt like crazy all nite. Then- I started itching all over and could feel my lips swelling. Finally fell asleep round 5:30am. Woke a few hours later looking like a goldfish. I took my a.m. meds' allegra, zantac, n singulair, and added a benedryl.  Not much better. Any ideas ?
lori

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: swollen face?
Reply #1 - 04/28/12 at 08:08:08

I am not one to go to the ER unless I have passed out and am in anaphylaxis. However, I think that anyone who is all swelled up like you describe is in a dangerous situation. I think you need to head to the ER right away. My forum advisors might even suggest taking an epi pen, but I don't know and they aren't online right now to ask.

I would go to the ER now. (And I never give out this advice, so that means I really think it is serious and better to be safe than sorry.)

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/28/12 at 09:44:48

RUN...DO NOT WALK TO THE ER..............
you could have an infection and anything like infection in the head area is DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!
redbird

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/28/12 at 15:40:00

Deb & Red;
Thank you.
This happened just over 1 yr.ago the first time. It was the beginning of my "masto odyssey". I went to the ER, & all they did was laugh at my appearance, and give me IV benadryl & a script for a steroid pack. The official diagnosis was "Acute Allergic Reaction". NO Kidding ! Ain't nothing 'cute' about it. It happened (murphy's law) on a weekemd. I've been taking benedryl along with my other meds. The swellings gone down some. My epi pen is at my side. I took a photo, and will call my allergist first thing Monday. I suspect it was the excedrin... I feel like thta old joke:"Does your face hurt? It's killing me !"
I suspect the excedrin &/or the tooth (crown adhesive?)...
lori

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 04/28/12 at 20:33:14

Glad you're improving!

Have you tolerated Aspirin before? Excedrin has aspirin in it which you probably know can cause issues for people with mast cell disease who are sensitive to salicylates.

Are you on daily meds and do you have a plan for flares? My plan is 25 mg Atarax every 4-6 hours, sometimes and extra ranitidine, reactine etc and like you said keeping the Benadryl on hand. If I'm getting any progressive swelling that could interfere with breathing, getting lightheaded, or having worsening shortness of breath, I head to the ER parkade with my BP cuff. If I get worse, I go into the ER. I also keep steroids on hand as I'm on a long steroid taper and at risk for adrenal insufficiency. Some use steroids for severe reactions even if they don't have AI..

An allergist I saw even recommended checking in and waiting and if you improve during that time, just check out without being seen, but at least the ball is rolling in case you need them

You probably know this all already! Just glad you're getting better!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 04/29/12 at 04:55:10

Lori,
This happens to me when I have been exposted to my trigges. I can always tell my eyes are swollen because my lips feel HUGE!  
I am a shocker and a leaker, so immediatly I start to itch and then swell.
My husband and I went on a date the other night.  We went to a dinner/theater.  Lots of older women bathed in  DELIGHTFUL purfume. It is an older building too. I wore a mask thoughout the play and did very well with the whole event.  (We used to go here monthly before I got sick)  So I was very suprised when I woke in the middle of the night with my eyes, feet and vagge (how do you spell va G G?) Grin itching. I got up and looked in the mirror and it looked like I had been in a fight.  Or perhaps I had just had really bad plastic surgery. Wink
With out my precious cromolyn,(invision crazy woman kissing her meds) Cheesy I wake up swollen quite often!
I'm still planning on the dinner theater next month, I will just wear my lovely mask longer!
Take care of yourself and don't hesitate to go to the ER if you need to!!

For fun we should all share our swollen face pictures...I up for a good laugh!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/29/12 at 05:15:45

Ana;
I knew about the aspirin-but it was too late for a trip to the store, and I risked it Embarrassed.  I also realized Ive been using an anti-aging cream sample for a few days... Funny how you overlook things til something happens. Roll Eyes
I did not know about making a specific plan for flares-other than what I'd gotten off the tms site-for emergencies. And taking Benedryl.
You've given me some really good advice Ana. Smiley These are all things I will discuss with my allergist. He is learning too, as I"m his first masto patient.
Thank you sooo much ! Kiss
lori  Kiss

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04/30/12 at 15:24:16

Well;
Saw my allergist today. He feels the Excedrin set me off, then my other triggers aggravated it (and me Sad)  Anyhew, he switched my meds around a bit- Singulair at nite now, & Ketotifen 2x day. Also said go ahead n take extra zyrtec, or benedryl.  I took pictures and put the days on back so he could see- he "shares my case with the other dr.s cuz it's so interesting, because I have cutaneous masto along with TMEP" Roll Eyes Pfffft ! As long as they geta few laughs from the pics, I don't mind. Cheesy
I/he forgot to give me prednisone before I left. I am now covered in hives. Embarrassed  I will get it tomorrow for sure!  He also gave me the same advice about going to the ER, just to be safe. (probably a different one than last time)  So, hasn't anyone other than Pam had this happen ? Am I that weird ??? Wait- don't answer that  Grin
Lori/Spot/Lumpy

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #8 - 05/02/12 at 03:37:17

I apologize, Lori, for not being more up to date on your situation but I just noticed that it appears you have found a local doctor to help you out. THAT'S AWESOME! I hope your swelling has gone done now and that you are doing better.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 05/02/12 at 05:28:48

Hi Kim;
I'm on the Prednisone now. Still hive-y & itchy-seems to be worst at nite- but my face isnt nearly as swollen anymore. I realized I missed the 2nd- 3 prednisone pills, yesterday (my 1st day), so that could have something to do with it Undecided. Duh. SO many pills!
Hope you are doing well,
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print