Send Topic Print
hello from Ohio (Read 2165 times)
jlance
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

hello from Ohio
03/27/12 at 05:21:29

Hi everyone,
My name is Jacob I am 29 years old and I live in a small town in ohio with my wife.  My story begins about 5 years ago.  I came home from work one day, stepped into hot shower with no spots on my skin and came out covered nearly head to toe with small red spots that itched like crazy.  I assumed at the time that they were just some sort of hives that would eventually go away.  However after a few months without much change I asked my family docter who looked at them and was completely unconcerned.  Iasked several other doctors over the years but none had any ideas.  About three years ago I went through a difficult period of time at work where I had to work about 80 hours per week for three months.  During this time i stated experiencing extreme heart burn, difficulty breathing, elevated heart rate, and dizziness.  I saw a host of doctors over the next year who ran all the standard blood work, heart and lung tests but could find nothing wrong.  I began to wonder if all these problems were related to the skin problems so saw a dermatologist who diagnosed it as UP almost immediately.  We then struggled to find an oncologist who would see me to do additional testing since most refused to believe I could have something so rare.  Eventually I did find one who was willing to do the bmb and other testing.  The bmb showed that I did have sm and continued to see the oncologist for several months but he seemed to have no clue how to treat it.  I spent the last couple of years struggling with these symptoms which seem to slowly get worse get worse and worse.  I finally joined tms a few months ago and started seeing dr. Bernstein in cinncinati since he was the closest doc listed on the tms website.  My current meds listed below are helping but no where near solving the problem.  One question I have is if anyone else has problems with burping almost nonstop.  Drs think I am crazy when I tell them about this.  It builds up so much pressure when I sleep that I stop breathing all night long.

Anyways thanks for listening and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Gastocrom 4x per day started this one week ago
20 mg zyrtec morning
150 mg zantac morning and evening
10 mg singulair in evening
50 mg hydroxyzine evening
Benadyl or hydroxyzine as needed throuhout the day.

IP Logged

eag722
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: hello from Ohio
Reply #1 - 03/27/12 at 09:29:04

Hello, I had a similar experience with the UP which lead me to a dermatologist at Dana Farber in Boston. Because my symptoms were getting progressively worse I went in search of answers and found this forum. I can not stress enough how much better I got with the low histamine diet. I see my dermatologist once a year and he saw a marked improvement in my spots after only being on the restricted diet for 6 months. My asthma issues have greatly improved too. I am a patient of Dr Castells and with medication and self education through this forum I believe you can find some help. Whenever I "cheat" on my diet I pay a heavy price and found that it is just not worth the few minutes of tasting pleasure. I am one of the lucky ones who lives in the greater Boston area and has access to a great number of Doctors and hospitals. I wish you luck and mine this sight for any help you can get. It can be very overwhelming with how many areas of the body a mast cell issue can effect.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 03/28/12 at 02:46:35

Hello and welcome to both JLance and Eag722! Its really great that we are picking up new members who need us the same way we need them!  

I  agree with Eag, I have trouble with cheating and pay heavily for it. I do have my childish moments of rebellion then I have to laugh when I realize its only me I am rebelling against. JLance, I think you are way under medicated and thats causing your trouble. I know most of us are on Zantac 300 mg twice a day and I would have terrible tummy problems without it. I would also suggest putting your Singulair in the morning since it gives you energy. I would suggest maybe trying Allegra (talk to your DR about all this), it really helps many of us!

Eag, since you are one of Dr Castells patients, do you find her setting more schedules for meds every 6 hours or three times a day? I am thinking I need to increase my own meds that I am not covered 24 hours a day, I have symptoms breaking through.

Its so great to have you both here! We need each other and I think you will find your life is so much easier by having this wonderful group of people to back you up! I also let you know, we will pick your brains for ideas too! LOL.. Welcome to the board and know you have the strength of us behind you now!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/28/12 at 04:08:54

Jlance, I'm sorry to hear that you have SM but I hope you can find some comfort in starting to get some answers.   I often have problems with the build up of gas in my stomach and it is always worse at night creating a lot of pressure within my chest, upper back and neck.   Some folks with mast cell disorders take Omeprazole for that - it's over the counter.  Make sure you talk to your doctor about going on it first though. I took it after major surgery for several months when my stomach was really bad and when I went off I had major rebound symptoms.  So I try to use it only sparingly now.  I also take Zantac 300mg 2x a day as Ramona mentioned so that might help you.  I would wait to try anything until you give the Gastrocom a try so you know if it's helping before you add anything else.  It helps a lot of people but I've heard people say it took a month or so before they noticed a difference.

Heather

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/28/12 at 20:06:55

When you say "stop breathing all night long," do you mean you think you have apnea?  If so, are you talking about this with your doctor?

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print