Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is this?! (Read 4776 times)
Enko
Guiding Light

What is this?!
03/14/12 at 07:21:57

I don't understand Sad I've always had clean results on urine and stool. Now, in a week I've got two bad results - bacteria in urine (don't know which one) and Helicobacter pylori antigen in stool. What?! I was a bit shocked when I've seen this! Two infections in that short period in time?! I don't know what to think about all of that! Is this "normal" for MC troubles? Help someone!

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: What is this?!
Reply #1 - 03/14/12 at 11:11:40

First off both of those things are pretty common in the general population. So, if it was me I'd take a deep breath and not panic. Bacteria in your urine may or may not be relevant. Are you having symptoms of a UTI? Burning frequency? If not, a lot of people have bacteriuria that doesnt require treatment. If you are having symptoms they might need to give you a short course of antibiotics. Discuss this with your doc.

The H Pylori is also a common infection. Were you having GI symptoms is that why they tested you? If so, it could  be that H Pylori is aggravating your GI lining and your doc might want to consider a course of treatment.

Now, medications ARE scary for us mast cell folk, but your doc shouldn't give you any unless they think it necessary and if it's a new med for you you should use caution when first taking it as I'm sure you know.

Many people have both of these infections and they are cleared well with treatments.

Hang in there, discuss this with you doc and keep us posted!

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #2 - 03/14/12 at 12:02:15

Hi Anaphylaxing, thanks for your response!

I've had increased urination, nausea, stomach pain, having stool more often, sometimes diarrhea.. BUT it would come and go, I'd be fine for some time and then it would hit again (urine and GI problems would often be separated). Now they've decided to have a party without asking me first! I was always thinking it was masto and histamine, now I'm not so sure.. My doc started me on antibiotics for UTI but he didn't see the other results yet.. oh it will be fun..

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 03/14/12 at 12:28:31

Sorry you're having these troubles Enko. Which antibiotic did your doc give you for the UTI and how are you coping with it, ok?

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #4 - 03/14/12 at 16:37:43

Enko, don't go ruling out a mast cell problem yet. The reason I say this is that I too had the Helicobacter Pylori. It was discovered during tje time when doctors were testing me for all sorts of things to help me figure out what was going on. When H. Pylori was found I was put on a mega dose pack of antibiotics and Prilosec (a proton pump inhibitor). It cleared up the H. Pylori but I still had some issues that didn't go away; in fact my symptoms continued to get worse which meant my search for an answer continued 2 more years until I was diagnosed with MCAS. So DO get treated for it and see where your symptoms are at that point.
Good luck my friend!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 03/14/12 at 16:41:35

Oh and one more thought, with cases of diarhea its not uncommon to also acquire a UTI. Ask your doc. I kept getting them and when tested Ecoli would be found which freaked me out. But with some research I learned that positive Ecoli UTI was fairly common.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 03/14/12 at 19:08:58

I hope the antibiotics help clear a lot of your GI problems!  When I take them, though, I take probiotics in between antibiotic doses.  I think it helps, especially if you're prone to yeast infections.

Joan

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #7 - 03/15/12 at 01:23:58

Hi girls, thank you for your replies and your good wishes!

Ana,
for UTI I was given ciprofloksacin (I'm from Europe), I've finished my therapy yesterday and soon I'll go for second round of tests to see did it clear out. I didn't have any problems with the med.

Kim,
that's interesting info! To be honest, in a way I'm "hoping" that it's not just that two infections but that it's masto in the background, because only MCAS could explain all of my terribly crazy symptoms. I think that I don't need to explain that to you here, you know what I mean better than I do!

Joan,
what kind of probiotics do you use?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 03/15/12 at 10:35:29

I switch around, but generally prefer ones with more strains of bacteria.  Right now I'm taking PB-8 vegetarian capsules.  I keep them refrigerated, even though they aren't supposed to need it.  I used to take 2 capsules a day, but now I only seem to need them once a week or not at all.

You should know that Cipro can be a direct mast cell degranulator, as can other fluoroquinolone antibiotics.  Doxycycline can also be a problem that way.  Of course, they don't effect everyone that way.

Joan

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #9 - 03/15/12 at 11:50:43

I undersand what your saying Enko. I often wonder if it was the H. Pylori that REALLY got my mast cells rared up and moving at top speed. I had some symptoms before they found that bacteria but the symptoms were doable.
Good luck and keep us posted.

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #10 - 03/15/12 at 12:27:21

Waaaiiiit...

Joan, by saying that Cipro can stir things up, you've maybe just explained something and not even knowing that you did! What? Here:

I'm low on hgb, well under the bottom border but still not in the critical area. So at practically the same time they've started me on iron IV (Ferrlecit) and Cipro. For first day I had no problems, on second day I've figured that after IV th my right arm started getting numb but after third I've had major reaction - first while in the middle of IV therapy I've had nausea, which I ignored (by now I have PhD in ignoring nausea and pain, I guess that you know how it feels and why it is like that); after the th I've left the hospital and my nausea turned into stomach pain, my left fist was starting to go numb, then right, joints on them started hurting, and when I've got home I noticed that I have hives on my belly, arms and right leg so I've immediately took one extra H1 and went for bed. Then the headache started, I've started to cough a bit and had to go to the toiled constantly, either for no.1 or 2. Other than that, basically, I've been sleeping for next three days. They've discontinued IV th but I still was on Cipro for next five days and I've had constant feeling that I can't rest enough no matter how long I sleep, random sensations of going numb all over my body, belly ache, being unstable on my legs and had to go for the no.2 multiple times a day. I thought it was masto and that I didn't recuperate after the last episode, but could all of this be because the IV, Cipro or both?

Kim,
look what I've found! I didn't read it all well yet, but I think this might be interesting!
http://www.howardsteer.co.uk/pdf/paper004.pdf

When having H. Pylori, did you ever have a feeling like that your stomach has "wrapped" itself around your spine and that it awfully hurts? I can get that when I'm hungry..

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #11 - 03/15/12 at 15:10:16

It felt like a combination of a wrench twisting my stomach and an ice pick picking at my abdomon. It was the epitomy of diarehea cases! I can't count the times I didn't make it to work and had to turn around and go home. Forget being in public!!!
I looked up that paper. It was too difficult for me to comprehend. But thanks for sharing it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print