Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yeast Infection vs Allergic Reaction HELP!!! (Read 4911 times)
Charee
Rookie

Someday things will get
better!?!
Maple Valley, WA
Yeast Infection vs Allergic Reaction HELP!!!
03/01/12 at 13:23:29

Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie with a very delicate problem. Huh I have what I thought was a yeast infection, but after treating it for a couple of days with over the counter meds it only got more swollen and painful. I also noticed a hive on my buttocks. All this while I am on 30mg of Prednisone.
So I went to my primary care doctor who said he thought it was yeast and did some test and gave me some Diflucan.
As well as this problem I have also been flushing almost constantly all day and I am having tinnitus.
Has anyone ever had a reaction like this, to cleansers or something?
I am completely on my own it seems, as my primary care doctor is completely clueless when it comes to MCAD.
Does anyone know if Diflucan is ok to take with MCAD?
Thanks guys,
I will send an introduction when I feel better
Charee

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Yeast Infection vs Allergic Reaction HELP!!!
Reply #1 - 03/03/12 at 08:05:08

Hi Charee,

Although prednisone does amazing things and is sometimes necessary in the short-term, it also reduces the activity of your immune system, which leaves you vulnerable to infections.  It's not only OK to take diflucan... I highly recommend it in this situation, since infection is a mast cell trigger and that's probably more dangerous than the drug!

Heather

ps - Welcome to the group Smiley

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/03/12 at 08:25:34

Hi and Welcome Charee,

If you've been diagnosed with a MC disorder, do be careful when starting any new medicine.  It's always best to try new meds during the day and to have another person there, if possible.  If you're a "shocker," consider beginning with a low dose and working up from there if you don't have any reactions.

Joan

IP Logged

Charee
Rookie

Someday things will get
better!?!
Maple Valley, WA
Reply #3 - 03/04/12 at 12:02:52

Just got back from the hospital, again. Woke up Saturday in terrible pain and with my chest tight, my throat swollen and tight, and flushing.
At the hospital I got to go through the whole rigamarole trying to explain my disorder and that I was reacting to the infection. First the nurses tried to tell me it was unrelated, then I tried to explain it to the doctor who basically blew me off.
I got the typical cocktail and that helped, but again nearly begged the doctor to address the real problem, my vaginal infection!!! He was acting as if he was allergic to female genitalia. Finally after waiting for 4 hours in extreme pain he had a look. He didn't believe me until he saw it and immediatly ordered a CAT scan. I had progressed to the point of having cellulitis spreading in all directions about 10 inches. The lymph nodes in my groin are so tender to the touch I nearly jumped off the table.
So I got my CAT scan back and thankfully the infection was still in the skin and had not turned into an absess or gangrene(he was concerned I had GANGRENE!!!). I hope he feels bad putting me off for 4 hours because he didn't want to do a pelvic exam.
Anyway luckily I was able to go home with Keflex, more steroids, and an ice pack, I hate being admitted.
I also had a close call with radio contrast dye getting my CAT scan, luckily I have been ravenously studying everything I can find on MCAS, and most of the important info has come from all of you on this site. So I knew to say, look at my avoid list I gave you. That list could have saved my life(not to be overly dramatic).
I am still in a lot of pain, but I am not reacting today. So that is an improvement. Grin
I hope this post isn't TMI. I just thought I would update my progress, or lack there of.
Thanks for listening
Charee:0)

IP Logged

Charee
Rookie

Someday things will get
better!?!
Maple Valley, WA
Reply #4 - 03/07/12 at 11:35:30

Finally found a doctor with a brain, I have shingles!!!
Not a very fun place to have it, but at least I am not wondering what the #%@^& is going on with my body. So I am starting antivirals and hopefully going down on my steroids. WHY ME!!!! Embarrassed
Charee

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 03/07/12 at 12:45:06

Oh my GOSH that must be horrendously painful

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 03/07/12 at 13:59:34

OH MY!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oh Charee, Iīm so sorry!  Yet good for you for PRESSING that doctor to do his job!!  Shame on him for his attitude!  I hope he learns from it!!

Iīm so glad you found the answer!!

Hope you get over this really quickly!!

As to the why me, thatīs a question we all ask!  The answer...thatīs life I suppose.   Sorry! Sad

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print