Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kathryn from Colorado - Mastocytic Enterocolitis (Read 3664 times)
Grneydkat
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Kathryn from Colorado - Mastocytic Enterocolitis
03/01/12 at 07:50:07

Hi everyone - what a long strange trip this has been.  

I was diagnosed with GERD, Celiac, and Mastocytic Enterocolitis 4+ years ago.  The GERD cleared up when I started taking enzymes with every meal.  Yay.  I've been gluten free for about 6 years, but have other food intolerances too which I'm learning are probably triggers for the Mastocytic Enterocolitis.  Last November I had chronic diarrhea for about 6 weeks, which mysteriously cleared up.  Then about 6 weeks ago it started up again.  I never had any major symptoms with the Mastocytic Enterocolitis before, but remembered it can cause that symptom so I called my GI and requested Gastrocrom.  I've only been taking it for a few days now and am hoping it will bring relief in 2-3 weeks.  Am considering trying the specific carbohydrate diet if the Gastrocrom doesn't work.  Anyone have any success with that diet here?

Also I have environmental allergies and asthma so am taking Claritin D and Singular 10mg which I understand are both supposed to help with the Mastocytic Enterocolitis.  I have an appointment with my GI in April and plan to have him order the MRT test for me again (it has been 5 years) as that might help me identify my current triggers.  

Questions and suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Kathryn from Colorado - Mastocytic Enterocolitis
Reply #1 - 03/03/12 at 13:23:56

Don't know how I missed your post, but want to say Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know anything about the specific carbohydrate diet, but I've had great success on the low histamine diet.  I started it as an elimination diet to see what was triggering me, and then have tweaked it and experimented to see if I could eat some of the "avoid" foods.  Some don't seem to bother me.

If you don't mind my asking, who are you seeing for the ME?  Have you had parasites ruled out?  I had a bad bout of ME (on top of SM) and eventually found out I'd picked up strongyloides s. someplace I'd been out of the country.  Am doing much better right now.  He had me take gastrocrom along with H1 and H2 antihistamines, probiotics.  I also took l-glutamine to help normalize the mucosa in the GI tract and bromelain as an anti-inflammatory and digestive enzyme.

I'm surprised you're not on an H2 antihistamine.  I've wondered about MRT testing, but was worried it would be expensive and not  really show anything I didn't already know.  What did you think?  Did it help?  BTW, gastrocrom can take more than a few weeks to work, and for some people a month or two.

Have you been tested for any other mast cell disorders?

In case you didn't see it, there's a Colorado Mast Cell Disorders support group meeting May 5th in Denver.  The specific info is posted on this forum or PM me and I'll get it to you.

Joan

IP Logged

Grneydkat
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 03/06/12 at 11:31:28

Hi Joan - thanks for the welcome.

Until recently I'd never heard of the low histamine diet.  I'll google that to learn more.  

I was diagnosed with ME by Dr. Scot Lewey (GI) in Colorado Springs.  At the time I didn't think much of it as I was not having symptoms.  He also diagnosed me with Celiac after years of symptoms and testing negative for the blood tests.  I have an appointment with him in April.  I am going to request MRT testing again since food sensitivities change over time.  I'll actually do the elimination diet with the nutritionist this time as I need to know what my triggers are for this wonderful condition.   Wink

I did have stool testing for parasites back in November as well as e coli etc.  That was with my primary care physician who I saw because he's closer and I didn't even think about ME as a cause never having had symptoms.  That said, I have had a TON of stress over the past year and I'm guessing that may be why I started having symptoms.  Perhaps Dr. Lewey will order a retest for parasites etc.  I do take probiotics, and NOW super enzymes which include bromelain I think, and of course gastrocrom.  When I first picked up the gastrocrom I didn't read the dosage info very well and was taking only half the amount needed.  Since I started taking the right amount my symptoms have improved.  Not 100% but I am better.  

I am guessing Dr. Lewey will prescribe an H2 antihistamine as you suggested.  Yes, if you have already identified your triggers MRT testing may not do you much good.  I'm clueless right now as to what's bothering me, though I suspect grains in general are going to show up as triggers.  

Thanks for the heads up on the Gastrocrom taking a while to work.  Since I do feel somewhat better I am optimistic that I will continue to improve over time.  Do you eat between meals and if so do you take Gastrocrom at those times too?  I'm not clear on how it works exactly.  

I have not been diagnosed with any other mast cell disorders, though I do have allergies and asthma.  Both have improved a great deal since moving to Colorado from California.

Would love to go to the support group.  Thank you for the heads up!

Kathryn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/06/12 at 14:43:52

I see Dr. Lewey, too, and like him a lot.  I'm seeing him again in April, too.  He can answer your question about the gastrocrom.  At one point he told me he didn't think it made a difference whether or not it was taken with food or what time of day.  I split my dose, 2 vials in the a.m. (1/2 hour before eating) and 2 before bed.  I might switch it up to before dinner.  I don't take any in between.  Ideally, I suspect one vial, 4 times a day would be best, but what are the chances I'll remember to take anything 4 times a day! Grin

The gastrocrom seems to kill my appetite a little, but I do try to have at least 2 meals/day and 2 snacks, because of the blood sugar.  I have morning nausea (no, not possible to be pregnant!) sometimes, so am never hungry first thing in the morning.

You're probably right about the MRT testing.  Have been thinking of doing another symptom and food diary for a while to see if there's anything new I shouldn't eat.

The Support Group meeting will be at National Jewish Health, 1400 Jackson St., Denver, CO  80206.  RSVP to Jan Marie Smith 303-241-9240 or hcaquatics@hotmail.com  It'll be from 9:00 - 5:00 with breaks.  Dr. Theoharides will be speaking about "Comparison of Cromolyn and Luteolin in Mast Cell Inhibition."  Should be really interesting for those of us with GI issues.

Hope an H2 antihistamine will help, too.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print