Send Topic Print
meds/food (Read 1369 times)
dm2011
Rookie

Peace
LaPorte, IN
meds/food
02/29/12 at 12:39:07

Not sure where to post this. My med soup consists of Hydroxyzine; 10mg 3x/day, Ranitidine; 15 mg 2x/day, doxepin; 10 mg 1x/day. It seems to have taken care of the hives, headaches, mood swings, extreme fatigue and some of the joint pain. I still experience the brain fog on occassion like today was really groggy and couldn't focus very well. I'm wondering if could be due to the fresh rasberry tea I had over the last couple days. I didn't have any severe reaction: no rash, stomach issues or joint pain like I have experienced with other things like salad bars at resturants, too much salt, banannas. Could a food cause the groggy feeling?

Denise

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: meds/food
Reply #1 - 02/29/12 at 13:41:22

Yes, food can cause fatigue and brain fog.  I believe the food triggers histamine release which causes the symptoms, but someone will correct me if that's too simplistic an explanation.

Can't remember if you've tried Allegra, Xyzal or Zyrtec.  Those are less sedating than hydroxyzine, although hydroxy. might be better for brain fog in some people.  I looked it up, and 50-100 mg. of hydroxyzine per day is a normal adult dosage.  You might want to ask your doctor if you can add one of the other antihistamines or increase the hydroxy.  In addition, some MC patients take 150-300 mg. ranitidine, twice a day.  Doxepin also can be sedating, so it's important for your doctor to adjust your dosages to help you feel better rather than trying anything on your own.

Have you looked at the low histamine diet yet?  You can try it for a few weeks and see if it helps any of your symptoms.  The one I prefer is at:

www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print