Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Info about Immunizations (Read 1519 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
New Info about Immunizations
01/30/12 at 18:46:19

Dr. Akin and Dr. Castells were contacted about the safety of TDaP (the new tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine) and the Shingles vaccine for mast cell patients.  They both agree that we can take them.  

Patients should take 25 mg. Benadryl and 150 mg. Ranitidine 1 hour prior to the vaccine and both 6 hrs. and 12 hours after each shot.  (I'm assuming that's in addition to normal meds.)  They recommend staying at the doctor's office for at least an hour after the shot.  My home doctor recommended not having more than one vaccine at a time, which seemed like a good idea for me.  (I'm going to wait 3-4 weeks in between.)

Regarding the pneumonia vaccine, they said titers should be done with the results determining whether or not a vaccine is needed.

Of course, underlying conditions have to be considered, as well as any auto-immune or other diagnoses people have and the meds people are currently taking.  Everyone should check with their own doctors about their other health issues and meds before taking a vaccination.

It's still scary to take the shots, but it's probably more dangerous for me not to.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: New Info about Immunizations
Reply #1 - 01/30/12 at 19:40:56

Thanks for the info and good luck with the shots Joan

IP Logged

ZWVMom
Rookie

I may not be perfect but
I'm always ME.
Carthage, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/24/12 at 14:23:37

Does anyone know where I can find a list of shots approved or no approved for masto patients? My daughter is turning 6, and will have shots due this next doc's visit... she hasn't had any shots since having all of her problems, so I haven't needed to worry about her having reactions to them. But now that I'm pretty sure she had a reaction to the Lidicaine that was given to her the last hospital stay, new shots are definately a concern! Is there a list on here, or does anyone see a list anywhere? I saw the medication list to avoid a little too late, so I don't want to do the same with the shots! Thanks, this site is so helpful!!

Chrissy, mom to Zoe, age 5 and Zivi, age 3

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 02/24/12 at 15:28:00

Hi! I don't know of a specific list, maybe there is one, but in general I would try to find out ahead of time what all the ingredients in the injection are. In case any are known to be triggers for your daughter.

Some people premedicate before they receive vaccines. I think it would be a great Q for a mast cell doc if you can get her in to see one or get your doc to consult with one of them? Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print