Send Topic Print
Scentless products (Read 5308 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Scentless products
02/06/12 at 20:02:19

I'm looking for hair and makeup product recommendations with no scent. (shampoo, conditioner, soap, gel, shaving cream etc etc)

The scent of "scent free" lipstick from the drugstore on someone else makes me sick.

Shocked

IP Logged

Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
Re: Scentless products
Reply #1 - 02/07/12 at 02:17:33

California Baby Super sensitive shampoo and body wash is one of the few products that doesn't cause me problems. Dr. Brommer's baby unscented soap is good too. I use it for hand soap in bathroom and kitchen.

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 02/21/12 at 22:35:34

Ana,
I recently found a new brand of personal care products that is working out well.  There is even a comercial on tv.  I found it at Target and have tried the facial wash gel, toner and moisturizer, got all three for less than $25US. The brand is called Simple with the tagline of Sensitive Skin Experts, found in the organic beauty aisle.  I am not only plagued with severe scent intolerance, but many products(deoderant, lotions, soaps, detergents) burn my skin.  I have an allergy to phenols, found during allergy testing about 6 years ago.  I was able to small them before buying.  

I use Bare Minerals powder foundation and Whole Food scent-free body gel (use this as shaving cream, too).  JASON also had a decent lotion with a faint vanilla scent that I tolerate well.  Still looking for a shampoo and conditioner, but do ok with TreSemme Colorthrive for Brunnette/Red.  

Let us know if you find any decent products.  
Lyn

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 02/22/12 at 08:22:16

Thanks everyone! Right now I'm using a small amount of Dr Bronner baby soap. The oily smell bugs me but if I move quickly it's ok.

Thanks so much for the suggestions both of you. It's all new territory for me. I have to get my husband to smell them for me and his nose isn't sensitive but if I take a whiff of anything strong I'll have a bad reaction right now.

Amazingly I can still use my fructis shampoo which is scented with no trouble perhaps I'm used to it.  But strangely, if someone else used it I bet I would react. It's when scents suddenly shock my system.

Anyone else notice this?

I've reacted to others using tresemme, dove unscented, fragrance  free hair gel, hairspray, lipstick mostly all on others as I'm not risking any of this,

I ordered a bunch of scent free samples should be coming soon I'll let you know if any work!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/22/12 at 11:59:12

I wonder if a pure olive oil soap from a natural foods store or similar would be okay.  The worst for me is when someone sits by me in a plane or at a movie who's used scented Downy or Bounce.  I can have a sick headache and feel shaky in minutes.  Those seem to be toxic regardless of how I'm doing otherwise.  Don't know why....

Some products that say "unscented" on the package will list "fragrance" in the ingredients.

Joan

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/22/12 at 15:59:08

I have been using Earth Science Unscented Shampoo and Conditioner with good luck. I even use the shampoo as a body soap. I was getting it from Whole Foods, but found the Iherb.com has it at a better price, or did. I bought a bunchj last time, so haven't needed more for a while.

I also use Nutribiotic Sensitive Skin Skin Cleanser, and do fine with that. It does have grapefruit seed extract for germ killing, and has no parabens. Also no sodium lauryl sulphate. This can be bought at Iherb.com too.

Avalon Organics makes an aloe unscented body lotion that I do fine with. It does have more ingredients than the other products, a lot of herbs, so read the ingredients to be sure you could tolerate it.

For the worst rashes, I use CeraVe moisturizing cream (recommended by my dermatologist) and Avalon Organics CoQ10 Wrinkle Defense Serum. The last is fro my face, and really helps with facial rashes, as well as softens the skin. Be sure you get the serum, not the lotion, as the lotion has a scent.

I mostly can't tolerate make up, but can use both Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer and Terra hemp Organics Lip Tint. Both are almost like lip balms, but have a color to them. I do fine with them. They have very few ingredients, and the color is mostly things like iron oxides. No bright reds, but nice warm colors, as well as some sheer, or pink colors.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 02/23/12 at 01:02:35

I use Purpose bar soap. No odor and doesn't make me itchy. As for makeup, I use MAC cosmetics. Since I always have a flush, I use a face powere that is so light and covers it wonderfully. I have never noticed any scent to their products, and I know that others here who have tried MAC have been equally pleased. You can buy MAC in major dept stores, such as Nordstrom, Macy's, etc. There are also
MAC stores located in high end shopping malls.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 02/23/12 at 15:09:31

THanks for the suggestions everyone!! I'll look into all of them

I used to use MAC Deb and loooved it. The company started in Canada and I've been addicted to it since it came out, so that gives me a lot of hope that it works for you and I might be able to use it someday. Would be great to tone that flush down and maybe look respectable every now and then  Smiley Smiley

I'm holding off makeup until I get off the roids, but am still washing my hair and using soap Smiley

IP Logged

Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
Reply #8 - 02/24/12 at 06:06:09

I was just thinking of the irony when reading this. I use to be a fragrance rep for Liz Claiborne a lifetime ago. Undecided

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #9 - 02/24/12 at 10:16:31

Wowza! That is quite striking

I used to love perfume especially of the smell of D& G cologne on men and burberry for women. Now sends me running Smiley

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #10 - 02/24/12 at 13:14:45

We use vanicream products successfully.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #11 - 02/25/12 at 09:27:58

Thanks mommy2sean

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #12 - 02/25/12 at 14:58:44

Can anyone tolerate all natural essential oils or natural fragrances or do all of them cause problems?  Does smelling flowers or pine trees or other scents in nature do the same thing?  Just curious.

Joan

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 02/25/12 at 17:10:48

I can't tolerate fake frangrances, found in candles, air fresheners, perfume, detergents, beauty products.  I do use eucalyptus essential oil in a spraybottle with water in my shower to open my sinuses.  I can also tolerate almond and vanilla, as long as they are not fake.  

Church inscense and perfume has triggered wheezing and angioedema and I am not asthmatic.  Detergent aisle in the store triggers presyncope within seconds.  

On an interesting sidenote, deoderant, lotions, nail polish and jewelry have all caused a burning senstation on my skin over the years.   Can't tolerate strong smelling flowers or live christmas tree.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 02/25/12 at 20:46:36

Eucalyptus was the first natural fragrance I could tolerate.  Now I can do most, and actually find lavender soothing.  I've had wheezing from incense (and also mold), but  I don't have true asthma.

No burning, though.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print