Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tiger-Balm a possible trigger? (Read 5608 times)
dm2011
Rookie

Peace
LaPorte, IN
Tiger-Balm a possible trigger?
05/11/12 at 07:10:22

how many hours after eating a food could a flare occur? Has anyone experienced a flare from 'tiger-balm, the muscle soreness rub? I'm trying to figure out what sent me running to the bathroom at 12:30 am this morning with cramping, diharreha, nausea, sweating and my arms feeling like they had electricity running through them. Only lasted about an hour and then I was fine, slept fine. Had a few rumblings this morning around 9 am, but since then feel great.

Denise from indiana

Denise

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Tiger-Balm a possible trigger?
Reply #1 - 05/11/12 at 08:39:49

Is there menthol in it like icy hot??  If so it is full of salicylates...Several of us are salicylate sensitive.  Salicylates make your mast cells open up!  Boom you have reactions!  I am super duper sensitive to salicylates.  It took me a llllllllllllloooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggg time to figure it our because they are in so many foods and items we use!
Pam
Okay I looked up...apparently I need a hobby or something...it does have menthol and camphor both salicylates.  Here is a link to other products you may need to avoid!

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/salicylate-free-products/

Good luck!

Pam

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 05/11/12 at 08:41:43

oh what town in Indiana??  I live in Avon, right outside Indianapolis!  We should have all try to meet up some time...I think there are 4 or 5 of us from Indiana!  Makes you wonder whats in the water!!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/11/12 at 09:28:23

Tiger Balm is bad, bad, bad for me too.  My mother's house reeks of this as does she (she had rheumatoid arthritis, really bad).  I had a herniated disc last year before I knew about MCAS and used Tiger Balm.  It nearly killed.  For me it was shortness of breath and passing out from fatigue.  I won't touch anything like it anymore.  It's the salyicylates.

IP Logged

dm2011
Rookie

Peace
LaPorte, IN
Reply #4 - 05/11/12 at 09:42:08

Hi Pam...I live in LaPorte, orginally from the Logansport/Peru area. Good to know that it was probably the tiger-balm.  I have used it many times before, guess last night was not a good time. Will look into the other items that contain salyicylates. Thanks PJP123 for your imput, greatly appreciated.

Denise

Denise

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #5 - 05/11/12 at 14:17:56

Hey Pam, I'm in Carmel, about 30-45 minutes east of you. There are actually a bunch of us in Indiana, but whenever I post about meeting up, almost no one responds. Strange! I'm always open to meeting, though!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #6 - 05/12/12 at 05:43:40

Deborah, I would be interested in meeting up!  Maybe you could message me, because I must have missed it when you posted!!!  Sounds like fun!! Where would we post an announcement for an Indiana meeting?
Pam  Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

dm2011
Rookie

Peace
LaPorte, IN
Reply #7 - 05/16/12 at 03:29:32

I'm up for meeting also...my dr. is in Indy so I head south every few months.

Denise

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 05/16/12 at 14:17:36

Dm,
ohh this is fun! I think there is someone that lives in southern Indiana too!
Pam Smiley Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 05/16/12 at 17:11:45

Back to the original question, and the answer to that is it varies greatly among patients.  Some people have immediate reactions, and some are delayed.  If I eat something at night, I might not have repercussions until the morning or even noon the next day.  My understanding is that it can be up to 72 hours for some people.  This makes it so hard to figure out what's causing the problem!  Keeping a food and symptom diary can be helpful.

It could have been food poisoning.  It's hard to know.  That usually happens within 6 hours of ingesting something bad.  Tiger balm could have been the cause if it's absorbed by the skin or just breathing in the scent for hours while you slept could have triggered you.  If you want to test it again, do it during the day when someone else is around.

Glad you're better!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print