Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rubber (Read 3444 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Rubber
01/23/12 at 18:01:46

I noticed on the Canadian mastocytosis survey they asked about rubber avoidance. Does anyone know why?

Is it latex contamination?  Or separate?  I know my rubber boots have quite the smell so I never get my face to close to them. And, I've always avoided latex as the gloves give me a rash...

Cool

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Rubber
Reply #1 - 01/24/12 at 00:04:37

Ana,  many of us seem to have issues with things like bandaides and surgical tape, especially the kind that is thick, white and heavy.  The micropore tape seems more tolerable, but most of us will have raised welts from things like the stickers used for EKG monitors, etc.   And yet we seem to tolerate latex for surgeries and tubes, etc.   Only some of us seem to be latex intolerant.

Why this is, I, for one haven~t the slightest and prior to my masto coming out of hiding I never had an issue with bandaides or anything like that.   But once it did, I began reacting.   All I can figure is that there is something about the higher levels of histamine in our skin tissues which makes us more sensitive to these things causing things like contact urticaria.  It may not be the rubber in and of itself nor even the glues used, but the physical process of constricting or stressing of the skin tissues that create the problem, like a waistband which is too tight or socks with the elastic that is too tight - the pressing of the skin itself may be the issue here and not the thing which is pressing it.

This is my theory anyway.   And for me it would explain the welting when I use a bandaide or a tape or a skirt or bra which has the rubber covered up by material, and why I can have the doctor use latex gloves and can be given catheters which are made of latex, etc.

Does this make any sense to you???

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 01/24/12 at 01:22:15

Latex allergies are pretty common, especially in people who've had a lot of medical procedures (ring a bell?).  Within the last two years I've become crazy allergic to latex... a children's birthday party can send me into anaphylaxis.  I don't know that we're any more likely than the general population to develop a latex allergy, but if you're having reactions to adhesives and band-aids (which is how it started for me) I would avoid them.  You don't want it to get worse Undecided

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/24/12 at 02:14:27

Some bandaids also  have lanolin in the adhesive, which you might be allergic to.  There are sensitive skin plasters which you might be safe with, Cam can use these but not the regular ones.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 01/24/12 at 09:35:57

I'm senile. . .. so is rubber in that stuff to? Is rubber latex?? I always thought of them as separate

Thanks for sharing! Cool

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 01/24/12 at 12:40:01

Latex comes from the "rubber" trees in the middle of the AMAZON!!  hehehe!!!   Rubber trees are found around the world.  Latex is the REAL thing.  Itīs the sap of the rubber tree just like Maple syrup is the sap of the maple tree.  

However, most "rubber"  today is synthetic made from crude oil processing.

This is why we can react to real latex for it has enzymes in it I believe, but Iīm sticking my neck WAAAAAY out there and am only supposing that this is why some react to it.   I would think that those who are reactive to latex also canīt eat certain tree nuts.  But then, thatīs just a supposition of my own and Iīm showing my ignorance here!! Embarrassed

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #6 - 01/24/12 at 13:18:34

COOL! Lisa thanks for sharing! I'm also allergic to hazelnuts

Cool

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 01/24/12 at 13:36:04

I'm not allergic to any tree nuts.  I am, however, triggered by bananas, which share a protein called "chitinase" with latex.

Here's a website that's a great resource if anyone wants/needs more information (it's the best one I've found):

http://www.latexallergyresources.org/

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 01/25/12 at 08:28:26

This is a list of Oral Allergy Syndrome cross-reactive fruits, nuts, vegetables.  Birch Allergy, Rye Grass and Latex

Pollen Food Syndrome

Cross-reacting foods if you have each of these allergie

Birch

almond, apple, apricot, carrot, celery, cherry, coriander, fennel, hazelnut, kiwi, nectarine, parsley, parsnip, peach, pear, peppers, plum, raw potato, prune, tomato, walnut - occasional patients also react to raw legumes (e.g. pea, green bean, mange tout)

Rye grass

melon, peanut, tomato, watermelon

Latex-food syndrome

Cross-reacting foods

Rubber latex

almond, apple, apricot, avocado, banana, raw carrot, raw celery, chestnut, cherry, dill, fig, ginger, kiwi, mango, melon, oregano, papaya, passion fruit, peach, pear, plum, raw potato, sage, raw tomat

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #9 - 01/25/12 at 09:42:57

Great info thx!

I think I moreso fit into the OAS food wise but also have a sensitivity to  latex. Bizarre Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print