Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coffee? (Read 13649 times)
nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Coffee?
01/05/12 at 04:34:28

Okay, this is for all you coffee drinkers out there. Do you notice any symptoms after drinking coffee?  OR Is coffee a trigger for anyone?

I'm a coffee lover but I think that sometimes it may trigger my tingly tongue/lips.  Not always or maybe it's certain brands. At this time, I don't necessarily have any other symptoms. I'm not sure if it is an acid reaction but it's usually when my IC is bothering me also. Other times, I can drink, drink, drink it.  My goal is to totally kick the habit but I haven't done that yet.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Coffee?
Reply #1 - 01/05/12 at 05:04:18

I like to drink coffee, but I only drink decaf. Even then, 9 times out of 10 it will make my stomach hurt a little. Strangely enough it tends to me hot coffees that bother my stomach, while iced coffees won't. Are you putting any sweetner in your coffee? Artifical sweetners could bother you; I don't touch them.

I don't have coffee every day, as I just like the mochas, etc from Starbucks. Otherwise, I don't really care. I have it more as a treat rather than eating a cookie or something. I definitely know, though, that it will probably make my stomach hurt a bit. So, I won't have it if I have to be somewhere important or need to feel well all day.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/05/12 at 05:16:37

I don't use any sweeteners as I try to avoid them. I drink it black however it is full strength and not decaf. I would like to get down to having it be a treat and not an everyday thing. I'm just trying to figure out how to do that. I think it bothers my IC so that is definiteley a motivator.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/05/12 at 05:26:43

Coffee anyone?
I "need" my coffee, 1-4 c. daily.I have noticed that on days Im flaring, my stomach gets upset. Hazelnut's my favorite.I've been afraid to try my old favorite Mochas-because of all the chocolate. I may do it on a Good day. One thing I am learning is we are all so different in our tolerance, & depending on that ever present "bucket" we carry...
May your bucket be empty and your cup runneth over ! Cheesy
lori

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #4 - 01/05/12 at 05:53:41

Lori:
Can you use just regular coffeemat? Not any of the flavors. I use regular lite w/ sweetners everyday usually no problem unless having a real bad stomach day. To me actually the smell of some of the flavors as that what my wife & daughter use sometime makes me
uncomfortable.
MikeV

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 01/05/12 at 14:57:21

I've noticed that it depends on how full my bucket is. There are mornings I can drink up to two cups and no problem. I use the flavored creams in mine. If I'm without much in the way of symptoms then I'm ok. But if not.......Stay out of momma's way when she's a runnin'!  Grin

Kim

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/05/12 at 16:21:28

Only decaf here, and no chemical anything in it.  Coffee beans are fermented to some degree, so that means it could have histamine in it.  Also, some beans are decaffeinated using a water method and others a chemical method.  So something in the processing might be a problem.  Artificial sweeteners and flavorings can be triggers for some people.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 01/06/12 at 04:11:02

Mike;
I used to be one of Those people who had a lil' coffee with my sugar Embarrassed
Broke myself of that habit years ago n now cant stand any sweetener in it. I use Land O Lakes Fat Free Creamer, have been usin it for years; no problem. I keep my coffee in the fridge/freezer after it's opened. Nothing like life's little pleasure of freshly ground coffee in the mornin. Smiley
Of course my meds are "fresh" then too- so maybe that helps...?
Kim; you are a hoot !!! Thank God we moved outa our 1 bathroom home before I got this disease ! Maybe we should make signs to put over the bathroom door that say that Grin  Cuz if Momma ain't happy-Nobody's happy Angry !
Cheers,
lori

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #8 - 01/07/12 at 11:13:00

When I was really sick (unstable) I couldn't tolerate coffee at all.  Now it depends... time of the month, time of the day (late afternoon is the worst for me), whether I've encountered other triggers, etc...  On a good day I can have a whole pot of coffee.  Caffeine does great things for me when I'm tired or have a headache (it's a vasoconstrictor).  But... I have to go slowly and gauge how I'm feeling.  If I start to feel "off" I stop drinking immediately, even if I still have half a cup left.  If the feeling doesn't back off in a few minutes I take some Benadryl.  Going slowly also means that my coffee is not that hot.  Heat is a big trigger for me.  I love iced coffee in the summer.

I'm a bit of a Starbucks addict.  I also have my own coffee pot in my office... plus a little refrigerator to keep my half-and-half cold!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #9 - 01/07/12 at 20:17:01

I miss coffee! I just used to drink decaf lattes etc but I've been avoiding it due to the tachycardia I have with my POTS.

Hope to drink it again someday. But hopin for chocolate first! Cool

IP Logged

shabrans
Tutor

Reply #10 - 01/08/12 at 03:59:45

I can drink decaf without problem usually 1 cup a day. If  Im flaring I cant as will bother my stomach. I do sometimes add carob powder for mocha as I dont tolerate cocoa very well still too reactive. Sad

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 01/24/12 at 13:29:07

Sadly, all coffee bugs me.  Caffiene in general does now.  I even feel weird with Diet Coke (maybe the aspartame though?).

Guess I will just have to face the world on my own without my friend, Mr. Coffee!

Boo Hoo!! Cry

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #12 - 01/24/12 at 17:54:37

It used to give me a racing heart. loved the taste so drank decaf and tea but haven't tried since because I'm so tachycardic as a baseline now Cool

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #13 - 01/25/12 at 04:51:36

Now that I'm more stable,   BRING IT ON!!   COFFEE, TEA, CHOCOLATE, WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy

HOWEVER......when I'm not stable, then I must moderate my intake.   It will provoke a lovely case of reflux, any one of them, with chocolate being the worst.   Thankfully coke is still my favorite and I actually prefer the IV version of Coke!!! Grin Wink

When I was in hospital waiting for my open heart surgery, I asked my doctor if my husband could bring me just ONE COKE before he had to leave me and return home to our kids for a week or so.   I was in the hospital for testing and also prepping for surgery, but also waiting for them to schedule it since it was a government hospital and they didn't have a set date.  So, since we had a couple of national holidays coming up too, I was in for a week or two longer than usual prior to surgery to do the tests and preps.  My doctor was very kind and let him bring it as a way for us to have some special time together before he was gone home and I was on my own in Sao Paulo.  She knew I'd not have any visitors and thought it was fine.  

OH THAT COKE TASTED SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #14 - 01/25/12 at 09:01:23

Oh Lisa thanks for sharing. Your story always gives me so much hope!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print