Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hello-I'm a newbie in search of answers and health. :) (Read 7925 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Hello-I'm a newbie in search of answers and health. :)
Reply #15 - 01/21/12 at 00:10:14

Great post, Susan!!   I'm so glad you've got some people there for it's not been easy for us to say that nobody's out there!!   Please copy some of this information about these doctors into the section regarding Masto Doctors so that others will have this information at hand when they come on looking for doctors in California!!   This would be of immense help!!

Thanks!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - 01/21/12 at 07:22:52

Susan, thank you also for your great information.  I will look into that.  I'm going to try to do the over the phone consultation with Dr. Castell's.  But it would be nice to have those options.  Thank you soooooooo much.  I will print all of this out.  Very helpful.  But....Ohhhh....I'm not thrilled about the Bone Marrow.  Is there anyway to get out of this?  Me is a CHICKEN.  I had a spinal tap last year and it was bad, but I understand that I had a bad one according to others whom have had this.  Also, I did have a stomach biopsy a few years ago and I heard that they keep the sample for 10 years.  So maybe they could use that for my situation.  I hope so.

The doctor you went to sounds great.  I am going to check on that today.  Thank you thank you.  
Sending you good health Susan Grin

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - 01/21/12 at 09:52:02

Maiysa,

I don't know if they will do a bone marrow biopsy if they think you are most likely to have MCAD. But regardless, I understand it is much less trouble than a spinal tap. The spinal tap causes all kinds of trouble because they withdraw spinal fluid, which causes headaches and other issues. If you are premedicated for the bone marrow biopsy, I understand it is a piece of cake with a good doctor.  Deborah has her story on the board somewhere, and the info on premedication  is also here. But I wouldn't worry till you get to it.

I do understand that you could have the GI biopsy looked at again. I asked the UC docs about it. They did mention, though, that it very much depends on how good the biopsy was, whether it would be worth a second look for mast cells. I may do this too, but know that the report on my GI biopsy makes it sound as though the samples may not be adequate. What a shame, as it was a real pain for that one. But, I know it matters, because one area of the gut may have elevated mast cells, and another area may not. Plus, the differences are not visible, and an doctor who isn't knowledgeable may not take enough samples to get a good idea.

This board is fabulous for knowledge and support. I am happy to help if I can.

Lisa, I will put the docs info into the Doctor section. I wanted to get the OK first, as I am far from knowing as much as you all do, and didn't want to lead people astray. But I don't think people woudl leave UC Davis feeling abused, or even ignored. which is a big improvement over most places.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 01/22/12 at 09:17:05

That is what I like to hear Susan, that they might not want to do a bone marrow. Yay!!!!!  Yippie Skippy.  I hope not.  I know when I had the stomach biopsy a few years ago, it was very inflamed and looked like I had something going on but it was never further investigated.  But I also had valley fever back then and it might have been in my stomach.  But I'm going to ask if they can get a sample from that to test.  They also took a large biopsy from my thyroid that they never figured out exactly what that was, but it was toxic is all they said.  Who knows what got in my system.  Which is so strange, I was a health nut before all of this happened and took ridiculous care of myself.  But my husband who eats terrible and smokes is healthy as a horse.  Go figure!  Have a wonderful Sunday!

IP Logged

Maria
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Nevada
Reply #19 - 01/25/12 at 10:30:16

Hi Maiysa, I too live in Las Vegas, I just got diagnosed with mast cell activation disorder. Thanks to my immunologist Dr Andrew Mc Knight, 702-212-5889, he has 3 of us now and so he is becoming someone to go to in this area, it took me 4 years to finally get a diagnosis. I think it helped that he started seeing other patients with these crazy symptoms. He has talked to the Dr.s in Boston and is trying to get me approved to go and see them. There is also a hematologist I believe that is now doing the bone marrow biopsies correctly. Hope this helps Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #20 - 01/25/12 at 14:28:31

Hey Maria, that's fantastic!!!

Now, do us a favor, go to the doctor's section and post your doctor's contact information so that others in your region have a name they can refer to, please!!  

Thanks! Smiley

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - 01/26/12 at 05:43:24

Maria that is a HUGE help.  Thank you so much!!
Maiysa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #22 - 01/26/12 at 09:06:23

Yes, you can definitely put your doctor's info in our doctor section. Soon I hope to create a more organized doctor list over there!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - 01/26/12 at 18:19:59

What good news that there is a doctor in Nevada!!! With patients being so educated, we may get more and more doctors involved.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print