Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can you take Multi vitamins? (Read 2396 times)
MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Can you take Multi vitamins?
01/05/12 at 03:41:40

I've heard more than once that some masto pts can't tolerate multi-vitamins.  I understand that B1 and B3 (niacin) may cause a problem, but can you please tell me if there's anything else troublesome in a multi?

It's very interesting to me that my Spectrocell showed that I have higher levels of the B vits that destablize the mast cells (B1 and B3) but low levels of the stabilizing kind.  I'm going to be taking a muli-vit formulated just for me (based on my test results) and without the mast cell destabilizers.  I'm so excited!
Thank you.
« Last Edit: 01/05/12 at 08:25:39 by MastoGem »  

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Can you take Multi vitamins?
Reply #1 - 01/09/12 at 04:18:40

I can take One a Day for Women multivitamin just fine! I used to take Centrum years ago, and it made me ill. So I stupidly stopped all vitamins. Now I have started up again, and I am fine. I also take vitamin Cs every day.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/09/12 at 06:25:47

Where do you get a multi-vitamin formulated specifically for you?  Also, what does vitamin B1 do that is bad for us?  I'd only heard of niacin being a problem.

I've been afraid to take a multi because I also had a problem, but I thought it was just the niacin. The doctor told me that niacinamide, which is supposed to be easier on the system, can also cause flushing, so I was out of luck in finding a multi I could take.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 01/09/12 at 20:25:13

Yes I too stopped anything and everything extra so am really trying to vary my diet which is tough adding one ingredient every couple of weeks. I took women's one a day before I got sick and folic acid.

Can you get vitamins compounded? That would be sweet! Undecided

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #4 - 01/21/12 at 12:51:22

Yes, vitamins can be compounded.  I tried one last year for my son, some sort of mito cocktail but he wouldn't take the liquid.  Now that he's 4 and can swallow pills I may try again.  His pharmacist told me that they can be hard on the stomach though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print