Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Story. (Read 2773 times)
BrynnKaitlin
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

My Story.
01/03/12 at 04:31:54

Hello, everyone!! My name is Brynn, and I have been sick for seven years now. My symptoms started at the age of eleven (I turned eighteen a few days ago) and we are finally starting to figure out why I've been sick for so long. Long story short, after six years of suffering (I was diagnosed with IBS at age of 12), I was diagnosed with severe food allergies (at age 17). My allergies include dairy, garlic , nuts, eggs, onion, most vegetables, most fruits, corn, soy, legumes, rice, and many more. My diet consists of mostly chicken and beef. If I'm not extremely careful, I will go into Anaphylaxis. This has happened five or six times total.

Anyway, I've been on homebound from school for the past two years of high school because I've been so sick. When I'm sick, I can't function at all. We've figured out that I've had all the symptoms of a Masto problem all along. We believe that I may have MCAD, but possibly Systemic Masto. My symptoms include: Gastro problems, severe (but unexplained) bone pain, Anaphylaxis, extreme sensitivity to smells (a friend's perfume sent me into Anaphylaxis), food allergies, terrible headaches, drug intollerances (Antibiotics make me EXTREMELY SICK, and They will keep me down for months. I have to get Rocefin injections, because any antibiotic that goes through my GI tract makes me so sick that I want to die.), strange skin rashes and bumps/blisters, heart palpitations that last forever, severe asthma, fatigue, and several other symptoms.

I am seeing Dr. Afrin in February. I already had my blood drawn and did the 24 hr urine for the tests that he ordered. We are hoping that he will be able to give me some relief. I went through four bottles of Benadryl for just the month of December alone. I have been taking Allegra and Tagamet every day, and it has made a HUGE difference. I also take Singulair and use a steroid inhaler (Alvesco) daily for my Asthma.

I was put on Prednisone four or five times last year, and every time that I was on the steroids we noticed that I impoved significantly.

Hopefully I will be diagnosed soon, and we can get my quality of life back up to what it used to be. It's difficult to be a teenager and not be able to go out with your friends because something as simple as a smell can send you into shock. I'm lucky though, because even though I'm sick, I have some of the greatest friends that I could ask for, and the most supporting family in the world.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: My Story.
Reply #1 - 01/03/12 at 16:25:04

Hi Brynn,

Your family is impressive in their sensitivity to your situation!  It sounds as though you're on the right track seeing Dr. Afrin.  I hope you get a diagnosis soon and find a medicine regimen that gives you more freedom.

I have a few questions for you to think about your reacting.  Are you eating leftover meat?  It's very high in histamine.  If you are, you might want to switch to only fresh-cooked or freeze leftovers immediately after a meal and then eat as soon as possible after thawing it later.  Both fresh and leftover fish can contain a lot of histamine, too, so it's best to avoid those completely.  Does your allergist think you have true allergies to the foods you mentioned?

Have you been checked for parasites?  Parasites can increase allergic type symptoms and cause mast cell proliferation in the GI tract and mast cell activation.

Has anyone mentioned Gastrocrom or Ketotifen?  Both are mast cell stabilizers, and they help some people a lot with GI symptoms.

There are several nasal sprays that might be helpful with your smell sensitivity.  One type is an inhaled steroid.  I prefer Veramyst, but others are equally helpful, just not as gentle.  Astelin is an antihistamine nasal spray, and it helps if you have post nasal drainage.  Nasalcrom is similar to gastrocrom, but it's for the nose.  It stabilizes mast cells in the nose.

Most people with mast cell disorders take more H1 and H2 antihistamines than you take.  I just replied to another post and wrote what a typical regimen is for mast cell disorder patients.  I don't think I mentioned Singulair, but some people take more than the standard dose.  You might want to ask your doctor or Dr. Afrin about taking more if you think it helps your asthma.

As for the heart pounding, it's likely to be part of the reacting you're having.  When I was first sick, that was a big part of my reactions.  I found that when my other symptoms were reduced, the smell sensitivity was also reduced.  

If you do prove to have a mast cell disorder, the doctor should give you increased doses of medicines and possibly additional meds that should help tremendously with your symptoms.  When I got on a proper dose of antihistamines, my pain went away, I reacted much less often, and I had much more energy.

Keep us posted about how you're doing!  Everyone here really cares!

Joan

IP Logged

BrynnKaitlin
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/04/12 at 03:50:17

Hello, Joan!

Thank you very much for your reply, you have given me a lot of new information!! I have been checked for parasites, and they were all negative. My family doctor had a huge run-up of tests done, and they were all fine with the exception of having very low vitamin D levels.

As far as the allergies go, we aren't sure. I had the skin prick test done and reacted to almost every food that they tested me for. I'm also allergic to every tree and grass. My allergist said that I was one of the worst cases she had ever seen. Is it at all possible that they aren't true allergies, but I'm reacting to the foods because they are triggers for a mast cell disorder? I can barely eat anything, and I've gotten to the point that I don't want to eat because I'm tired of everything. We saw a Dietician, and she had no clue how to help me. She said, "This is the first time in my life that I have ever felt completely stupid. This is my job, and I have no idea how to help you. " All of my doctors are very concerned about my situation because I haven't had any calcium in over a year. I'm can't have any type of milk because I'm allergic to the things they use to substitute. (Goats milk, rice, almond, flaxseed, coconut, etc.) All of the suplements we have found contain something that I'm really allergic to.

I am sometimes eating leftover meat, but now that I'm only eating it every once in awhile, it has not been much of a problem. I have eliminated turkey from my diet completely, because I've noticed that it makes me sick every time I eat it... even though I didn't test positive to being allergic. I've also eliminated ham. My diet consists of chicken, beef, asparagus, grapes, apples, and berries. Everything else I'm either allergic to or makes me sick.

I have heard of Gastrocrom, and my Mom actually called my doctor to see if I could try it. My doctor wanted me to wait until after my appointment with Dr. Afrin to see what he says. She said that he needs to see my full symptoms before I keep adding more medications to everything else that I'm taking. On the other hand, I have never heard of the Veramyst, and really appreciating you putting that name out there! I will definitely look into it. It would be awesome to reduce my sensitivity.

I have tried to attach a picture of my first skin prick test... Hopefully it works!!

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Brynn

old_pics_038.JPG (181 KB | )
old_pics_038.JPG

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 01/04/12 at 07:08:55

Hi Brynn,

I couldn't see the picture, but I have a good imagination!  I don't know whether you have true allergies or not.  It sounds as if you do have some.  I had 3+ and 4+ reactions to many things when I was first sick.  Immunotherapy shots have helped me, but they're risky.

We have a "bucket" metaphor we use on the forum.  Mast cell disorder patients have a "bucket" that fills every time we're exposed to one of our mast cell triggers.  This is true for allergies, too, when someone is exposed to allergens.  We can be doing pretty well, but then the bucket gets full, and one small trigger or exposure can cause it to overflow and symptoms occur.  Eliminating leftover meats entirely might help keep your bucket from filling.  If you ingest histamine, it just irritates your digestive system further.  It's surprising that the smallest thing can make a difference.  

Has your allergist ever talked about Xolair?  It's supposed to reduce IgE mediated reactions.  Dr. Afrin will know about it.  Can't remember if I mentioned Singulair, too.

For many mast cell disorder patients, their digestive systems react to many foods, but it's not all true allergy.  When they're able to heal their digestive systems, they can tolerate more foods without reacting.  This happened to me, too.  I was helped tremendously by a regimen of prescription meds, supplements, and vitamins that healed my digestive system, and now I can tolerate a lot more foods.  However, you shouldn't start anything new until you're stabilized and not having anaphylaxis.

Here is the link to the low histamine diet:

[url]www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm/url]  

At some point, you should be able to eat more foods on it.  It's not set in stone, though, and you have to adjust it for what you know you can and can't tolerate.   Again, I wouldn't recommend trying anything new until you see Dr. Afrin.

In case you haven't thought of it, do take a list to your appointment of all your questions about everything.  Whoever else is with you might also take notes for you to go over later.  I think Dr. Afrin will send you home with a written plan, but if not, you can ask for one.

One last thing, when you start new medicines, start at baby doses.  It seems that sometimes our bodies see anything new as the enemy.  Working up slowly keeps reactions at a minimum.

Joan

IP Logged

BrynnKaitlin
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/05/12 at 12:55:43

All of my reactions were also 3 and 4 +'s!!

I love the "bucket" metaphor!! The more I hear and read about mast cell problems, the more convinced I am that this is what has kept me sick for so long. I agree that it's amazing how small things make such a big difference. It's amazing that something as simple as food can keep us down and so sick!!

I haven't heard of Xolair, but I definitely will look into it. I am currently on Singulair for my asthma.  Wink

We are starting to put the pieces together. I had an anaphylactic reaction to pecans a few months back, and pecan was the only nut that I didn't react to on the scratch test. We couldn't figure out why... but now we are starting to think that maybe it was just a trigger, and not a true allergy. Finally putting the pieces together and knowing that I may be close to a diagnosis is very exciting!

Thank you very much for your help!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 01/05/12 at 15:38:38

You're welcome, and I hope you do get it all figured out soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print