Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to decrease Zantac? (Read 9957 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
How to decrease Zantac?
12/30/11 at 05:58:54

So, I am looking for suggestions regarding how to decrease one's Zantac. I take 300 mg in the morning and 300 mg at 4 pm. Yesterday, I decided to cut my 300 mg pill in half and take just that half of it. I figured I would do it for a week, and then maybe decrease the 4 pm dose to half a pill.

Well, that didn't work out too well, I guess. Either it was coincidence or I reacted (like withdrawal), because I got a massive headache late morning that stayed for hours until Excedrin got rid of it. By 4 pm I felt like someone was sitting on my chest; it was even too much effort to want to get up and get my meds. I finally got my normal 4 pm meds (300 mg Zantac and 10 mg Zyrtec). Waited 10 minutes, and decided I needed to double my H2, so I took an allegra. Even that didn't get rid of the hard to breathe feeling, so I finally took a singulair. That got me back to normal.

Now, I was just hanging at home with the kids all day hacving a very peaceful day, so there is nothing I would have triggered to. I also hadn't eaten anything much all day, so it was not due to food. This leads me to assume it was a result of cutting my Zantac in half, but I am not sure why that would cause chest tightening issues. Zantac is more for the GI mast cells, although it does affect the other mast cells also. So, was it coincidence or not?

And....how does one reduce Zantac? I can't see any more minimal way of reducing it....The only think I wonder is if Zantac is time release? Maybe I should buy the over the counter 150 mg pills and take 1 of those rather than cutting in half my prescription 300 mg Zantac? What do you think?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: How to decrease Zantac?
Reply #1 - 12/30/11 at 12:44:27

Geeze, Deb, that´s an interesting issue.   It could be psychological in that by knowing that you are taking less, you could have gotten anxious about it and that began the triggering.    

I can see how we can easily get psychologically addicted to our antihistamines!!  We become conditioned knowing that if we don´t take them in time, we´re going to take a beating!  How many times anybody out there forgot their dose and then about the time you realized it your body was already giving you hints that you were about to lose it!!!

Yet, I have noticed, however, that if I´ve missed a dose, then when I go to take my regular dose, I´ve gotten on the snowball express and need to take extra to stop the snowballing, which is exactly what I think happened with you.  

So, my question is, WHY DO YOU WANT TO PULL BACK?    Deb, if you are on a set dosage of meds which have got you stable, why would you mess with that?   I wouldn't, even if it meant saving money.   Whether I like it or not, taking my masto meds has become NECESSARY to my well being.  PERIOD.   It's like thyroid medication, I must not stop for my body NEEDS that medication in order to function properly.   It's a fact of life.

Now, for whatever reason you feel it's necessary to stop, that is the proper way to reduce your dose, by halving it or even quartering it and going slowly, perhaps only one dose a day instead of two.   However, it seems to me that your body noticed that right away and that it was not a coincidence, especially if you were at home and it was a quiet day.  

If you want to confirm it, and to see if it was not just a mere coincidence, you must choose another stress free day where you are again home all day long and try to repeat this experiment.   Only then will you know if your body is unable to handle taking lower doses of antihistamines.   If you give the very same kind of reacting, or in other words, if you show any sign of increased activity, then you know that you are at your baseline of medications and can't go any lower without causing yourself trouble.   In some ways, this is a good experiment for then you know exactly what your body's needs are as far as meds are concerned, and what your very minimum levels of meds are that you must have to function properly.

Be careful, please!!   Go very slowly for the last thing you want to do is to  give that snowball the extra push and then this triggers an avalanche along side of the growing snowball!!

Hugs

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 12/30/11 at 14:40:46

well this is what I would have to say....
reducing or stopping taking your meds might seem fine for awhile...however what if in three months after you do this you are right back where you were when you started...and you have to get the body back to where you stopped....
I know that sometimes I just want to quit everything and I have to make my self remember how I was before my meds took effect and made me almost normal...to some means again...
I just cannot think that my BODY COULD TAKE...back to the shock attacks again...
just my thoughts
redbird

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/30/11 at 17:07:30

Your symptoms sound like the beginning of anaphylaxis.  I quit Zantac about 3 weeks ago (cold turkey) and switched entirely to Pepcid.  I was taking 150 mg. Zantac in the morning and 20 mg. of Pepcid at night.  So now I'm taking 20 mg. Pepcid a.m. and p.m., and it seems fine so far (knock on wood!).  Given the choice, I would always take a pre-made lower dose than cut a pill in half. 

Pepcid comes in 40 mg. tablets (Rx only), which my allergist prescribed in case I need more.  I'm sure 2- 20s would do the same thing, but I like getting Rx meds because my insurance covers all but a small copay.  I do notice a big difference in effectiveness of the 40 mg. vs. the 20 mg.

If Pepcid doesn't work, cimetidine (Tagamet) is another H2 blocker, but I don't know how effective it is.  I think I might try it and see.

The half-life of Zantac is only 2-3 hours, but it inhibits acid production for a lot longer (8 or more hours).  Some days it's apparent fairly quickly that I forgot to take either antihistamine, but other days it seems not to matter as much.  Don't know why.

Wondering if Gastrocrom could be stabilizing enough to substitute for Zantac.  It's not enough for me, but it might be for others.  Isn't Ketotifen both an antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer?

Just looked on Wikipedia [Histamine Antagonists]and found a list of H2 antihistamines that includes more than Zantac, Pepcid, and Tagamet.  I noticed it also lists experimental H3 and H4 antihistamines.  Will be reading more on that and will report back later!

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 12/31/11 at 01:34:11

Thanks gals, I love the discussions! It's not a financial need that I would like to decrease the Zantac. There are 2 reasons. One is my typical preference to take the bare minimum meds possible and alter my lifestyle by avoiding even more triggers  to enable me to do that. So, Lisa, you may be right that I am discovering that this is my bare minimum. The second reason is due to Dr. Akin's confirmation with me that in some of his patients who take H2s, specifically Zantac, they do experience hair thinning. Now I still have a beautiful mane of long hair, but it's not as thick as it used to be an I am sure it is due to meds and lack of proper nutrition since I cannot eat so many healthy items. I definitely know it wasn't a psychological trigger (and I totally believe in those. I can concentrate on it and totally trigger myself if I want!). I felt completely secure that halving the Zantac would be fine, so I was surprised to have any reactions.

Redbird, your thoughts are definitely well worth considering and remembering! You are completely correct in the possibility of losing one's stable status and possibly having trouble regaining it. I think with me I'd be okay if I reduced super slowly - assuming I could reduce at all.
I can tell you that I will have to postpone more experimenting for now because now I am getting back to busy family stuff, like organizing New Year's celebrations, really huge cheer competitions for my daughter, and business activities. I might be forced to wait till summer, because that is when I really feel great (Yes, Lisa, I know you think that sounds crazy that summer is my good time! Haa. It's because I live in freezing air conditioning and we don't tutor in summer, so no stress from running the business. I tell ya, I would be much better if I didn't run even my little business!)

Joan, very interesting about your pepcid switch. Hmmm.  Wonder how that would work for me. Just dont know. Your dosage experiences with it are invaluable for me to know how pepcid is working for you in comparison to Zantac. You know i just "eat up" your findings and advice, so I will store this tidbit away as I experiment!

Okay, looks like my family is waking up, so I'm off to be mommy! Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 12/31/11 at 15:22:09

well Ms. Deb....I am glad that you are putting this off for awhile..I know that you are like myself in some ways...you shock...and boy that is not a fun thing...
be safe so that you can enjoy your family during this busy time
redbird

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/31/11 at 15:24:29

I switched off the Zantac to see if my hair will get thicker again.  Hope so.  

Most of the time I can eat a lot of different foods, so I don't think my loss is nutritional.

My doctor used to say that I could go slowly off one medicine while I increased on a new one so I didn't have consequences, particularly with antihistamines.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 01/01/12 at 13:15:18

Okay Ladies;
Two questions-
1.) How long have you been on the Zantac (before it started to affect your hair)?
2.) Deb- have you been on the Biotin long enough for it to help ?
3.) Okay I forgot one: Joan- what do you mean by Zantac's "half Life" ?
I've upped my Zantac to 2-3 times a day, havent noticed thinning hair yet but it sure does get gray fast these days !!!  Sad
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 01/01/12 at 18:25:19

I don't know for sure that it's the Zantac causing my hair to thin, but I've heard that's possible.  I've been on it for over a year.  I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so that could also be the cause, and I haven't tried Biotin for long enough to know about that.

"Half-life" is the time that it takes a medicine to lose half it's effectiveness, and the term is commonly used to indicate how long it takes for it to leave the body.  Some meds stay in the body for a long time and wear off slowly.  Others are short-acting and leave the body quickly.  Zantac is in the body for only a short time, but it's effects last longer.

Joan

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 01/02/12 at 16:35:40

It could be Zantac:  http://gerd.emedtv.com/zantac/zantac-and-hair-loss.html

(I already added this to another post, but I will added it here too since it is relavent.)  It could also be Cromolyn if you are taking that:  http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/cromolyn+sodium/loss+of+hair

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #10 - 01/02/12 at 18:11:20

You could try cutting the pill into quarters (I'm doing this for my steroid taper as my mast cells get agitated at big jumps).  BUT you need to check with the pharmacist to ensure that the pill is not coated or prepared in a way that the contents are toxic to your esophagus and stomach lining, as I was going to do it with Florinef and they cautioned me not to for that reason.

I would try tapering by smaller amounts. I think the change could have just disrupted your system and it might not mean you can't tolerate it. Too early to tell.

I have also communicated with people who have developed renal stones from long term H2 use, so there are definitely reasons to not be on it IF you don't need it

Keep us posted.

Grin

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 01/05/12 at 08:33:51

I just wanted to mention that when you stop this kind of med I'm pretty sure you get a "rebound" effect. I stopped the Zantac two or three months ago and I seem to be fine without it.  When I get my follow up endoscopy I'll know for sure.  It just creeped me out to take something that messed with my digestion and could cause so many other problems.  Hopefully I won't regret it some day.  I haven't so far.
Good luck.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print