Relieved (Read 9007 times)
phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Relieved
12/10/11 at 14:07:29

I was supposed to get surgery next week to get a tumor removed from my uterus that probably is beinine.  I was really anxious about it because I am afraid they may give me something that has sulfites or sulfates without realizing it.  (all meds have preservatives and I am allergic to sulfa stuff). So luckily the anesthesiologist has another mastocytosis patient who is in much worse shape than me. He knows that the best thing to do is prep my body with a steroid or something ahead of time. I was really nervous that they would put me under and I wouldn't wake up.  Cry  Everyone here knows how it feels when your condition is not taken seriously.

I really don't keep track of the medication names very well. I know I need to start taking them regularly, but some make it hard to concentrate. Others make it hard to sleep. Most of them make it hard to hard to wake up. If the drugs don't rule my life, pain does. Dang it!  Couldn't I have won some other lottery?

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Relieved
Reply #1 - 12/10/11 at 15:26:23

you need to be sure that you give a copy surgery posted for us masto folks..things that are important to use and not use
redbird

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 12/11/11 at 13:15:48

Hi Phyre,

Redbird is 100% correct, weīve got emergency protocols here for you to copy for your anesthesiologist and you can sucessfully go through surgery without any trouble.   I underwent perhaps the most dangerous kind of surgery a masto patient can face, open heart surgery, last year and amy anesthesiologist was EXTREMELY careful and got me through sucessfully and Iīm VERY reactive and my doctors had never seen a masto patient prior to me.   So, if my doctors could do it, then without a doubt yours can too!!

So, RELAX, the fact your anesthesiologist has already seen a masto patient means heīs fully aware of what can happen and will do EVERYTHING within his power to make sure you are the SAFEST patient in that hospital!!!!!

Let us know how things go!!   Weīre here with you!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/11/11 at 17:17:52

If you give your anesthesiologist the list of pre-medications you need right away and fill the Rx, you will feel less stressed and that will help you get through the surgery just fine.  I had several surgeries before I was diagnosed, but always pre-medicated with Benadryl and prednisone, because I had allergies, too, and I came through very well.  You also can ask for a mild pre-surgical medicine, like Xanax or Ativan to relax you, if your doctor thinks one of those would be safe and helpful.  And make sure that your intolerance of sulfates and sulfites is in your chart at his office, and tell the person who starts your IV the day of your surgery, too.

Let us know you do!  If you have any trouble finding the pre-surgery protocols, let is know, and someone will post them.

Joan

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 12/12/11 at 09:07:24

Thank you all so much!  I delivered the emergency protocol stuff to the anesthesiologist today, and gave him the names of local Masto Drs in Denver.  (thanks again Joan)  I could not believe the weight lifted off my shoulders.  I developed this anxiety about taking medications because over the years too many of them really messed me up due to my allergy to sulfites/sulfates.  My symptoms are not that obvious, and I look generally healthy even when I feel like cr@p.   Tongue Sure I fainted once, but most of the time I just feel really sick and suffer a lot of pain.  I get nausia, but I don't throw up very often.   I don't even get fevers from infection.  What's up with this body?  My imune system is sooooo getting fired just as soon as I find a replacement... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 12/12/11 at 17:39:07

Lol!  I felt the same as you do until I was able to get on the right dosages of antihistamines.  I had bad pain, nausea, especially in the mornings, felt like I had the flu all the time, but looked okay most of the time.  I didn't have fainting, though.  That makes getting your symptoms under control a little more important, especially if you drive or are alone very often.

My understanding is that a compounding pharmacy can make almost any medicine without additives.  I wonder if there's one in Denver.  I could use one, too.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 12/13/11 at 05:51:19

Phyre;
Good luck with your surgery! Let me know if ya find a place that has new immune systems-Im sure theyll be flyin out the door ! Wink
As far as "looking" healthy... it cracks me up when people say;
"Oh you've lost so much weight,you look great" and how about "You look so rested/relaxed". I always wanna hand em my list of meds n go "Here, you can look this good too!" Cheesy :
laughter is good medicine,
lori

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 12/13/11 at 10:28:29

I do have a great compounding pharmacy in Denver, funny I never went there for myself, just my doggie who had a rare form of diabetes insipidus.  (Pencol Compounding Pharmacy has a great staff and they really listen.)

I can't imagine going in for open heart surgery!  I am not worried about the surgery/procedure they are doing on me.  it is the anesthesia that scares the wahoozee out of me.  I have not had anesthesia since I was 6 for an apendectomy.  This stuff is so old hat to all of you.  I feel like I am going to be in good hands with your help.   Smiley

Following this forum has really helped my feelings of frustatration when I talk to a new doctor.  They are not used to learning about a medical condition from a patient.  They are used to explaining it to their patients.  Most of them have never heard of Mastocytosis.  Some of them are diligent about finding out what it is, others are too busy to be bothered.  I can relate, but I will move on to the Drs. who are dilligent.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 12/14/11 at 03:43:08

Phyre, you have good reason to be concerned about anesthesia for it can indeed be very dangerous to us.  However, as long as you are properly premedicated and your doctors and anestesiologist are ALL on board, there is no reason whatsoever for you to be worried!!   You will be FINE!

Hugs!

Lisa

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 12/15/11 at 06:30:52

Phyre,

I used to work in Anesthesiology.  Believe me, they don't want you to get sick either!  Most Anesthesiologists will definitely take it seriously.  Besides, your unusual case is a break from the boredom of standard cases for them. They will probably gobble it up!

Relax, get the sleep-snoozy, and wake up and go on about your business sweets!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 12/15/11 at 11:59:16

You are soo right, Jilly!!   I teach private English classes and one of my students is in her last year of med school.   She was considering going on to be an anesthesiologist, but sheīs reconsidering her choice because she says itīs considered pretty boring.  Iīve told her what Iīm capable of and you should see her eyes BUG!! Shocked   But she told me that cases like mine are extremely rare and that on the whole itīs rather routine and BORING and they LIKE IT THAT WAY!!    

Anesthesiologists are your BEST FRIEND and I think that each of us should have one or two of them who we can consult with and arrange to have on hand should we need surgery for masto patients should not be taken into emergency surgery.  Everything should be properly planned out.  However, in the case of an emergency, if there was an anesthesiologist who could be called in for that surgery, then thatīs best!

Iīm in the process of "training"  a 2nd anesthesiologist.  I have a bone marrow biopsy coming up this week and this will be his first time working with me, but he has his colleague who has worked with me and I gave this doctor my reports from my surgery last year and so heīs well studied and feeling confident and so am I.    This is how it should be! Smiley

Lisa

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 12/15/11 at 19:28:22

Thank you everyone.  The Anesthesiologist was actually so surprised to hear that I have masto that he came in to meet me while I was talking to his nurse.  ...like I was a celebrity or something...  lol   Grin  She said this was very unusual for him to come and meet the patient before the surgery.  He really put me at ease.  I know it is going to be fine.  I have an appointment on Dec 29th so they get me setup with meds and reschedule the surgery.  

When they did my bone marrow biop, they did not put me under, but I did react when they gave me an IV with saline in it.  I am trying to find out for sure if saline has a preservative in it.  The regular saline for contact lenses definatley does.    

I don't have the doctor's first name, but I will report back with his full name when I have it.  I really appreciate how he put me at ease by talking to me and telling me that he is going to check with his resources to make sure I am premedicated properly.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 12/15/11 at 23:31:03

Phyre, this is exactly what Iīm talking about when I said "training" an anesthesiologist.   What I found out eventually is that who call the shots in the OR is not the surgeon but the anesthesiologist.  The doctor who is most active in keeping that patient alive is the anesthesiologist.   The surgeon does the work and gets the glory, but itīs the anesthesiologist whose hands you really are in.

Here in Brazil the patients will meet with an anesthesiologist prior to any sugery.  They will sit down and talk about allergic reactions and any prior surgery and any kind of reactions, etc.  They will develop a plan for that surgery and the patient has to go through a series of pre-surgical exams, getting each group to check off okay prior to the surgery being scheduled - x-rays, bloodwork, anesthesiologist and cardiologist with the cardiologist considered the boss for the pre-surgical okay.   But when it comes to the surgery itself, within the OR, the two main stars there are the surgeon and the anesthesiologist with the anesthesiologist calling the shots.  He is who says when the surgeon can operate and also tells him when to stop - the stability of the patient is in his hands and if the patient isnīt stable, then heīs got to call the shots for even though the surgeon has to do his job, if the patient is in danger, what good is the work of the surgeon then?  

So, this is PERFECT that you met this anesthesiologist in person.  Ask to meet with him as a consultation and when you do, ask him for his cell phone number so that he can be called in again should you have any kind of an emergency situation or that other doctors can call him in case of an emergency.  His experience with you is worth GOLD and he will now turn into a reference point for you for any future procedures or in case of an emergency.

Lisa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #13 - 12/16/11 at 16:07:07

The saline IV could have had a preservative in it, but most ER's use un-preserved.  If they don't have it on hand, you can request it, or have the anesthesiologist ask for it.  Another possibility is that the saline was too cold.  Most of us do better with warm IV fluids.  (not hot!)

Sounds like a great anesthesiologist!  There's nothing as good as peace of mind that you will be well taken care of during a surgery!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print