Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Safe Herbs (Read 2720 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Safe Herbs
11/18/11 at 15:25:48

I wonder if anyone knows if any herbs trigger mast cell degranulation.  Someone gave me some lemon balm, and I'd love to make some tea, but didn't want to be triggered.  I don't use teas with flowers (pollens) in them (e.g., chamomile) or that might be stimulants (e.g., chicory), but I'd like to make some different herb teas with what's left in our garden.

Joan

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Safe Herbs
Reply #1 - 11/19/11 at 04:38:35

Joan;
Gosh I hope not !
I made Lemon Balm Tea (from my garden) and drank it all summer. I dont recall It specifically triggering any symptoms... I know it has a calming effect and also  is a powerful antioxidant. I read up on it online, cuz I wasnt sure what to do with it at first. Mine got frostbite before I could save some for winter. (Also known as Sweet Melissa). I hope its not a degranulater- I used it in dressing too. I use grapeseed oil or olive oil with fresh lemon/lemony herbs because vinegar is a degranulater.
Hope this helps,
lori

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 11/19/11 at 15:27:40

Joan,

I just don't know. I like tea, but I do notice that many of them make me feel unwell. I tend to stick to the teas of the English Breakfast Tea (decaf) types, because the aroma of many of the herbal ones bother me. So, I don't know if it is just me who is bothered by fragrant teas or most of us....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 11/23/11 at 12:24:48

I do fine with night time teas and stress teas and they have lemon balm. I can do licorice tea too, but none with cinnamon, cloves, etc. I also make my own ginger lemon tea and it's awesome.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print