Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where do I go from here? (Read 9620 times)
lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Where do I go from here?
11/06/11 at 15:45:30

Wow....this is TOUGHER than having breast cancer!!!!!!  

Just this week, I had a reaction to compounded claritin, got bronchitis, a mild case of pheumonia with acute exacerbation of asthma (first time ever).  On Friday I ate a little bit of food (that stuff you are supposed to be able to put in your mouth!!) hummmm  and got itchy all over, dizzy, diarrhea and started coughing.  Sat eve. I was so hungry i ate again (ONLY what I CAN normally eat)...my husband had to call 911. Yea....  the WONDERFUL ER we all love!!!!   They even sent an intercept ambulance from the hospital ??? (don't even remember transferring, have no idea why)....inhaled albuterol on the way, masssive doses of steroids, and Ativan in ER. 5 hours later I was discharged with steroids and Ativan to go.   Now I am getting itchy from my Pepcid.

My local doc is still NOT on board and Dr. Afrin is way toooooooo far away.  Just frustrated, starving and need a hug!

Thanks for listening!
Lynda

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: Where do I go from here?
Reply #1 - 11/07/11 at 02:35:12

Oh Lynda! I am so sorry you are going through this. I wish there was a magical solution I could share to make it all go away. I'm praying for you!
Kim

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #2 - 11/07/11 at 07:40:33

Hang on Lynda! I hope that everything will calm down soon! Sad

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 11/07/11 at 08:19:43

Thank you Kim and Enco....I am taking my steroids and doing a bit better today.  I have my primary on board and she is making some calls today for me and said she will stay on it until we get some answers! I have only been seeing her about a year but she is great!

I appreciate your support and prayers!  I hope you both are having a good day!

Hugs, Lynda

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #4 - 11/07/11 at 08:22:29

Sorry Enko...I spelled your name wrong.  (I hate that when people do that to me) Undecided  I promise I will get it right next time Smiley

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #5 - 11/07/11 at 10:55:38

No need to apologize Smiley

I'm glad that you're better! Can you eat today?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 11/07/11 at 13:59:59

Lynda, just sending some encouuragement your way!!  Have you seen your oncologist yet?  I know you really like him but if he is not on board with the mast cell issues maybe you need to call around to find another local doc to work with dr afrin.  Actually, it sounds like maybe your primary might be able to fill that role for you.  Keep us posted.
Heather

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 11/07/11 at 16:14:21

Hi Lynda,

Glad you're doing better today.  Hope that trend continues!

When our digestive tracts are so irritated, any food we put into our stomachs can trigger us.  That doesn't mean you're reacting to that food, because your stomach might react to anything in it.   Best to let it rest and drink Pedialyte or another electrolyte solution for a day or two until the prednisone takes down the inflammation.

Doctors can also prescribe an "elemental" diet.  I think that's what it's called.  It's a liquid that is very easy to digest and provides all the nutrients you need.  Maybe that wouldn't irritate your mast cells.

I hope your primary is able to consult with Dr. Afrin and find out how to treat you at this point.  If you have an expert in your corner, you have a great chance of figuring out a regimen of meds and a diet that will work for you.  I can't remember whether or not you've seen a gi doc....

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 11/08/11 at 01:02:24

Hello. I am sorry that I didn't have time to sit down and write you a response yesterday. However, I wanted to share some tips with you. When I was first ill and undiagnosed (had never even heard of a mast cell), I was just like you in that I couldn't eat or drink anything. Even a bite of food would send me into  anaphylaxis -- masto style anaphylaxis, that is -- with the diarrhea, stomach pain, body tremors, nausea, passing out, etc. While no one could figure out what was wrong with me, I quickly realized that ingesting anything was partially causing it. So, I stopped eating out of necessity. I was so ill that I was bedridden (when you don't eat, you eventually lose your energy) plus my body was battling inside from what I could tell. The most I could do was to sip gatorade, water, and the tiniest bits of chicken soup broth. I seriously couldn't have more than one sip every 10 minutes or I would just start all the symptoms.

It took 4 weeks for my body to calm down and I began to recover. I figure that it just needed that long for it to heal itself. Very slowly (still bedridden) I was able to eat a little more soup at a time and even add a little white minute rice. Then part of a piece of toast. As I began getting better, I started a journal/food diary on my computer so that I could track and identify what my safe foods were. Every day I recorded various pieces of info, such as the date, my weight (this was a concern because I couldn't stop dropping 2 or 3 lbs every day), what I ate and drank and how I felt after ingesting that. I tracked this for a couple months, but was quickly able to identify my safe foods (and I wasn't very adventurous -- I only ate maybe 5 foods or so). I didn't care if the foods were boring, though, because when you get that sick from food, the allure of eating completely disappears. I simply forced myself to eat tiny bits throughout the day as a means of giving myself some energy.

Obviously, it wasn't only food that was causing my problem, but I didn't know that. I did know that I was so fatigued all the time, that I didn't want to do anything. So, I pretty much just rested at home and would occasionally go out to a movie with my husband -- as long as I could sit and rest, it was better than trying to do anything. Even walking from the parking lot to the grocery exhausted me and made me feel ill. So, I pretty much changed my lifestyle to include resting all the time. I didn't realize it, but this was exactly the right thing to do because it allowed me to avoid all triggers as much as possible and let my body heal.

As I got better, I was able to start adding a bit more food and activity to my lifestyle. Somehow I just knew what was making me feel better, so I completely overhauled my lifestyle (career change as well) and started getting better. I was able to start living my life again, although I was always fighting my mysterious symptoms. I got better and better, though, and was happy enough for the next 10 years. Eventually, I got annoyed with not feeling good all the time, though, and pushed for more answers. That is when I discovered Mast cell diseases, found Dr. Akin, got the right meds and then quickly got much better.

So, you see, you are not a freak of nature in your inability to eat! LOL. Perhaps you could try keeping a very detailed journal and in the meantime, just rest and be very patient. Eventually your body should calm down. If you are already on prednisone, then that should help. Just give it some time and get some good movies and books to relax with while you wait. I guarantee that you won't have to wait the 10 years that I did to get really better!  Wink

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 11/08/11 at 04:20:10

Lynda;
This is Not tougher than having breast cancer. I have a very dear friend who HAS breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy this summer; went thru hell with an expander (think of a small plastic car bumper) in her chest,because she wanted to at least look normal; and found out yesterday IT's back. She has 3 children, and one of the biggest hearts of anyone Ive ever known. I would go thru This disease without a word if I knew God would save her. Dont mean to crab at you, but the choice of words stung. I Know we are all dealing with our symptoms, but there is always someone worse off.
Praying and Hoping...
lori

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 11/08/11 at 04:32:19

I am pretty sure that Lynda had Breast Cancer, thus the reason for her comparison....

It would probably be best to contact me personally anytime a post seems to have overstepped a boundary. Sometimes, as in this case, there is a far deeper meaning than might be seen at first glance.
« Last Edit: 11/08/11 at 06:42:29 by DeborahW, Founder »  

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #11 - 11/08/11 at 11:21:32

Dear Iamnotalone,

I am so very sorry for the comment I made about breast cancer.  I am even more sorry that your friend is so ill.  Deb is correct.  I was comparing it to MY having had breast cancer.  I do understand how EXTREMELY difficult it is.  Last year when all my mast cell issues changed my life, my oncologist had me back on a 3 month rotation and he was the one that ordered every test he could think of to see if there was a tumor that wasn't showing up "yet".  I know how it feels every time I go for a check up to walk onto that oncology floor and feel the panic. I have been cancer free for 7 years.  I had a mastectomy, reconstruction and 8 rounds of what they called dose dense chemo.  I was was rushed to the ER 3 times and hospitalized 2 times just from the treatments.  I went  in on day 2 and 3 for an IV regiment for nausea with the (A/C) treatments and then day 2 and 3 for saline to get as much of the Taxol out of my system as possible for the next 4 rounds. Somewhere in the middle I came down with shingles.  They kept me so drugged I somehow lost a year and a half of my life.  I had to give up my job teaching second graders and change my lifestyle from one of a "care giver" to one that needed to learn to accept help.  I am not writing all of this to complain, but because I need to tell you. As Deb said, "the meaning is sooo very deep".  I do understand and I do care that your friend is suffering.  Every time another woman is diagnosed it truly does break our hearts.  Sadly, it is a sisterhood that never seems to end.

I should have explained myself better and will do so when I post from now on.  

I think I should have worded my post like this: the hardest thing with masto is that THERE IS NO SUPPORT SYSTEM IN PLACE.  When they say the word "cancer" you have a TEAM that walks you through your options and then you make the decisions that are the best for you.  With Masto, YOU become the doctor and after awhile you are too tired to care.

I also want you to tell your friend that a close friend of mine who attends survivor meetings with me has metastatic cancer.  She was diagnosed right after me with stage 4 breast cancer. That was 6 years ago!  There are an amazing number of new medications that WILL help her!  I pray she will have those same years with her children and before that six years is up, they will have a cure!!!

I am so sorry for the pain I have caused you.  I would have felt the same way you did when I read what I had posted. I am glad that you wrote and told me how you interpreted it.   I have learned a valuable lesson.  

Thank you for your understanding.   Lynda

Deb, I want to respond to your comments.  They were both a tremendous help to me.  I will do so when I am a bit less emotional but I want to thank you so much.

IP Logged

Kate:
Tutor

Reply #12 - 11/08/11 at 11:39:41

Luv ya Lynda!  HUGS!!!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 11/08/11 at 11:59:09

Off masto topic for a sec -- my sister-in-law was diagnosed last year with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. I am under the impression that is the worst type you can get because it doesn't respond to hormones. Basically, you go straight into chemo before surgery. Then surgery and then radiation. I am happy to say that she is now fine! So, you see, there is always hope, Lori. Hopefully your friend will have as happy an outcome as my SIL!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 11/08/11 at 17:37:01

Hi Lynda,

It IS frustrating when our bodies are out of control and unstable, but don't give up hope!  I was undiagnosed for 16 years and, like Deb, had to figure out a lot by myself.  You will figure some things out and your doctor or Dr. Afrin will help you figure out the rest.  You WILL feel better and have more energy.  It's not a quick process, but things do get better.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print