Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
increased urination after a bad mast cell flare (Read 7019 times)
goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

increased urination after a bad mast cell flare
10/18/11 at 10:24:33

I posted this somewhere else I think in the wrong place, just curious if anyone else gets this. When I have a very bad flare up I get very tachycardia and get high blood pressure. Now at least i know too increase my meds and it gets better but I still have this problem of urinating every 15 min after a bad flare. I wonder if its the mast cell causing this I mean the bad flare or the tachycardia, I know my cardiac DR said some hormone is stimulated when you get sustained tachycardia for a period of time and causes you too urinate more. Just curious if this happens to anyone else its very annoying since I am so feeling like fainting when this happens and I keep having too get up too use the bathroom hainging on the walls and such .

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: increased urination after a bad mast cell flare
Reply #1 - 10/18/11 at 14:06:17

Yes, I have that happen.  If I'm flaring, a warm bath can trigger it, too.  Even a low level of flaring can sometimes cause it for me.  My doctor didn't seem concerned about it since I didn't have any pain or bacterial infection.

It's tempting to limit your fluid intake to control that, but don't do it.  You need to stay really hydrated to keep the flaring down.

You say you feel like fainting afterwards.  Has your doc said there's any other reason than the mast cell problem?  Mast cells can cause both high BP and tachycardia.  They also can cause the opposite, low BP.  Be sure to stand up very slowly.  How long do your episodes last?  If the meds aren't bringing your BP and heart rate back to normal within a reasonable period of time, you might need more.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 10/19/11 at 01:03:01

Goldie, this does happen to many of us.   Begin taking your BP when you are feeling this way.  Keep a log.   If you find this to be consistant, the most likely the use of antihistamines will help return your system to normalcy.  You should also ask your doctor if perhaps this and a pinch of salt might help.

When I went through my crisis with the perfume 2 weeks ago, due to the intense vasoplegia that happens, I was a in really bad state.  I´d taken PLENTY of meds and yet I was still struggling with the low BP.  My doctor told me to not take more, I was already at a high quantity, however, she really surprised me by telling me to take a spoonfull of salt and rub a finger full at a time in my mouth along the gums and mucus membranes and then to do the very same with sugar.  I was really surprised how well this worked!     You may want to consider doing the something similar, but speak with your doctor first.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 10/19/11 at 01:11:26

BTW - the increased urine output is NOT due to drinking water and you should not stop drinking it, if anything the faintness is most likely due to a lack of fluid in your bloodstream for at this time your blood vessels are leaking the fluid out of your system and this is what is likely to be causing the faintness.   You need to do the opposite and INCREASE your liquid intake instead.   This was another of my doctor´s instructions for anaphylaxis causes us to lose the liquids within our blood cells and other structures and it ends up racing out of our systems through our kidneys.  This is why also the tachycardia because as a safety structure, the heart increases its output to compensate for the lower BP going on.  It´s a defense mechanism.  So in order to help your heart, you need to increase your water intake during these episodes.   What you want is to be running back and forth to the bathroom, but without having to hold onto the walls!!!  

I hope this helps!!

Lisa

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 10/19/11 at 05:10:58

When I get one of those spells, if I do a urine test, I have really high white blood cell counts (as in levels you would have in an infection)...not sure what all that means, but it is interesting.  Perhaps just a byproduct of IC or maybe it is coming from somewhere else?  Ideas why this would happen????
« Last Edit: 10/19/11 at 07:24:41 by texan1960 »  

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/19/11 at 06:55:45

The World Health Organization publishes a rehydration solution that you can drink. It's a simple dry mixture you can make and keep in a jar on a shelf, and then you mix some with water or another drink when you need it.  Even one teaspoon at a time, every 15 minutes or so, will help.  It doesn't taste too great, but it can be hidden in something with flavor.
« Last Edit: 10/19/11 at 08:57:55 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/19/11 at 10:16:07

when this is happening its always after a very bad attack and my heart rate is tachy and my BP is always elevated never low. Interesting I never get low BP and I am on clonodine patch .1mg daily. I have a lot of syncope that has not gone away with all the antihistamines I am on. i think it's manily due too my dysautonomia/ POTS along with the mast cell problem I think a lot of my problems are due too POTS. Although I did see Dr. Castells recently for a second opinion she was wonderful and is repeting all my blood tests. She added singular too my mix but did not want too up my antihistamines or change any of my meds yet. She did agree with the dx of MCAD but wanted too rule out systemic mast cell disease first. I wonder sometimes what came first the POTS? DYSAUTONOMIA or the Mast cell problem. And by the way she did tell me about four weeks for the tryptase too come back it goes too Virginia,  for it too be done properly mine although has always been about 9.8 never higher.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 10/20/11 at 02:00:17

Goldie,

We who get hypertensive can have tachycardia too.  I´ve had my pressure as high as 230/110!   Masto does this.   POTs and disautonimia are BOTH symptoms of masto, or more like, they are consequences and thus tied to it like IC and fibromyalgia are.  The base disease is the mast cell disorder, it will show itself with these other things.

It´s like when someone has breast cancer and it mestastizes and goes to the lungs.  The cancer they find in the lungs is not lung cancer, it´s called breast cancer because that´s where the original tumor was before it mestastized.   Well in this aspect you have a mast cell disorder and it´s causing other things to go wrong.   You don´t have a bunch of disconnected things wrong with you and also masto, you have masto which is making these others things be wrong.   This is why so many of us share these same symptoms and complaints!!  

I´m really pleased you sought out Dr Castells.   She´ll help to get to the bottom of this.  Speak with her about the syncope let her know how frequent it is.  Perhaps you´re needing to be on aspirin therapy.

Lisa

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 10/20/11 at 06:11:21

Hi Goldie,

Yes, I get this too.  The mast cells might be releasing mediators (chemicals) that get that whole thing going.  I sometimes swear that more comes out than what went in!  (though that is impossible of course).

Now if you already have  LOW pressure problems from the masto, then all your fluids are coming out, then you get dehydrated and the fainting feelings start.  Your blood pressure drops, your brain senses that you aren't getting enough oxygen up there to your brain, and it sends a signal to your heart to speed up and start pumping in more blood to get more oxygen up to your brain ( welcome our friend, Mr. Tachycardia!).  At that point, you should lay flat, and elevate your feet over the level of your head and heart (put your feet up).  The blood will flow easier into your head, and the tachy should drop down and then you won't feel so faint.  

When I get this ridiculous stuff happening, then I go to the store and stock up on the Peidalyte (I recommend the grape, chilled of course!).  Will keep your electrolytes in and help with the "fainties".  Be careful of the sugar though if you are diabetic.  Eat some salty snacks too, that can help, followed by a big glass of water.

Also, there could possibly be a vagal response going on here. Here's a link that explains it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micturition_syncope

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 10/20/11 at 12:53:18

thanks Lisa I am going too ask her about this therapy when I see her again, my body just fights all these meds i am taking now, like now I can't take the vistril anymore I took it almost a week and the last three nights it has made me crazy kept me awake and did not let me sleep. It seems like I can tolerate the meds for only a short time, I am tolerating the antihistamines at least and thanks for explaining the pots vs mast cell. I notice during the attacks my BP will suddenly go way up too 180/100 in the beginning before antihistamines it would go much higher so that I ended up in the ER so many times and funny they would give me a lot of drugs and it would just go higher not lower so they stopped treated me with antihypertensives. But the clonodine patch has worked well for my high BP unless i am really flaring. Ok thanks so much for this informative group

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 10/20/11 at 13:28:13

Anyone have any thoughts on my WBC question above? I dump massive WBC's in my urine after a flare up.....

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #11 - 10/22/11 at 12:27:31

The WBC could be from your bladder... they could also be from your kidneys, which play a very important role in controlling your blood pressure.  Have you had your urine tested for WBC and RBC (and protein) when you're not flaring?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 10/24/11 at 06:16:14

Yes, and all are fine when I am not...maybe a few extra WBC's all the time.  Also, my bp is okay.  So, maybe is just a product of IC, with mast cells firing off in the bladder.  It is really weird though, because they can be at "infection" levels, but no protein, RBC, etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print