Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laryngitis... gah! (Read 2345 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Laryngitis... gah!
10/12/11 at 23:38:34

The last couple of weeks I've had problems with "gunk" building up in my head and chest while I sleep.  (It's ragweed/leaf mold season... whoo hoo).  I sleep fine, but around 5/6 in the morning the coughing starts... and it's really wreaking havoc with my voice Angry  This week I was fortunate that my classes didn't require a lot of lecturing, but... I need my voice back ASAP!!

Any ideas what I should do?  Take extra antihistamines?  Suck on cough drops all day?  Go to the doctor??  I'm pretty sure it's allergies and not a cold because I feel fine otherwise (a bit tired, but fine).  I'm really not interested in taking antibiotics... is there something else a doctor might suggest and/or I might suggest to a doctor??

Gah!@!@  Stupid allergies.  Heather needs her voice back.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Laryngitis... gah!
Reply #1 - 10/13/11 at 00:47:05

It seems odd that you only have the symptoms when you sleep. I would say it was sinus issues otherwise. Perhaps you should try an experiment and try sleeping in a different room. See if that causes the same symptoms. Your voice must be affected by your coughing, so if you can eliminate that, then obviously the voice will be fine. The cough is being caused by the buildup, so you have to figure out what is causing that buildup. If the buildup vanishes throughout the day, then it sounds like something environmental rather than virus. That means you need to determine if it is in your bedroom or if it is actually the outdoor allergens. I suppose you could try taking an extra allegra or zyrtec before you go to bed and see if that helps prevent the symptoms overnight.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 10/13/11 at 02:12:33

The gunk is actually a 24/7 thing... it's just that during the day I can clear it without a lot of coughing.  I totally agree that my voice will come back if I can stop the cough!  The websites I've looked at suggest not speaking (duh... I'm trying), staying hydrated, gargling with salt water, using menthol cough drops, and eating spoonfuls of honey.  My children's pediatrician has suggested that last one too... maybe I should try it (although I'm bit reluctant since honey=pollen).

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try an extra dose of antihistamines Wink  If nothing else, I feel better having vented, LOL.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

GodIsLove
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/13/11 at 03:04:46

Heather
You might want to try the Nettie Pot. You can buy it at most of your local Walmarts and Drugstores. You irrigate the sinuses with it and if you are having a lot of drainage down the throat it will work great for you.
I hope this helps
Rosemary

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 10/13/11 at 04:33:54

Allergies....aaaarrrgh!

I like the SinusRinse kit you can get at drugstores.  It comes with packets of unpreserved saline solution.  Just be sure to do it an hour or so before you have to be somewhere and make sure to get it all out of your nose so "nose rain" doesn't happen later!  lol.  I prefer it a couple of hours before bed.  Twice a day is most helpful.

One thing I use, and it might not be for everyone, is Neo-Synephrine nasal spray.  I only use it for 3-4 days, one spray a day, before bed.  It stops the post-nasal drainage, which is what causes my cough.  I can't take decongestants orally, but I can use that nasal spray without side effects.  If it works, the problem is probably originating in your nose.

If you're sure it's not an infection, a Flovent oral inhaler can be helpful.  It's a steroid that isn't absorbed systemically, but helps in the bronchii and lungs to reduce inflammation.

If you're sure it's pollens, there are room air cleaners with HEPA filters, and if you wash your hair at night, it'll take the day's pollens out of it.

As for honey, if it says "filtered" there shouldn't be much, if any, pollen in it.  Vicks VapoRub is an old-timey remedy I like, too.

Hope it goes away soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print