Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sex (Read 3269 times)
daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Sex
09/30/11 at 13:51:21

Just had to put it out there.....  Bad enough that sometimes my skin hurts when anyone touches me but this issue is even more difficult.  My poor husband has to put up with soooo much.   Don't want to get too personal but I'm thinking I can't be the only one? Embarrassed

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Sex
Reply #1 - 09/30/11 at 16:03:28

Donīt be embarrassed about this for this is indeed an issue with us.  This is a medical issue and it needs to be addressed as such without anybody feeling embarrassed.

Orgasm releases histamine - period!  

I asked Dr. Castells about this for others have questioned this before.  She told me that patients who are having problems with reacting with sex should take an antihistamine about 30 minutes prior.  

It may also help to have either a fan or the AC on as well since heat is an issue and trigger.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/30/11 at 17:15:38

SERIOUSLY ???
Girl; do you have any idea how many of us wanted to know- but were too chicken to ask ?! Im sure I speak for LOTS of us when I say ...
THANK YOU Wink
lori

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #3 - 10/01/11 at 07:46:53

THANK YOU so much for asking that! And Lisa, thank you for answering with suggestions. The fan does help but i hadn't thought about the added dosage. Thanks ladies Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 10/01/11 at 10:02:14

I had spoken about this on the old forum but forgot to say something here.  I originally spoke with Dr. Castells regarding this due to other patients having issues, but I do too.  I've fainted due to this, several times!

It's that same issue with excercise anaphylaxis, YOU MUST LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  

Now some people might be foolish enough to say, "Well then I just won't have any more."  If you do this then you are allowing the disease to rob you of more than you should.  This is one situation where you do need to listen to your body, but then you also need to make it behave and even ignore it.  

When you are in a flare and things are triggering left and right, then this is a time when you need to plan carefully what you do and when and with the proper planning, then it's not a major issue.  Women have the added benefit of being able to enjoy it all without having to let themselves go and this way they can avoid getting sick.  

I understand the issues that can go on here and why some people would get so "turned off"  that they prefer not having any at all, but I honestly think that this is the biggest mistake we can do not only against our own selves but against our partners and those whom we love.  Our partners would equivilate this as being REJECTION.  They may understand that it makes us sick and therefore we may want to do it as little as possible, but  this is one event in life which honestly must be fought against for it will ruin any marriage and stress the very core of any relationship!  In this situation, it's not right to think of only one's self and one's needs!  It's very honestly a situation where there must be old fashioned self-sacrifice, as unpopular as that has become because without this, it's very easy to see that after a period of time, the partner will seek out other means for satisfying their needs for affection and warmth and acceptance.

So, what do we do when we are faced with pain, fainting, anaphylaxis or pain old feeling miserable if we have sex?    There is a certain amount of just having to put up with it and ignore it and not allowing it to "bother" us!  But then as I said, it requires planning and reflecting as to the situations surrounding this that might make it less difficult.  If your bedroom gets too hot and there's no way to cool it down, then invest in a  small AC just for your bedroom and these times and make sure it's cool enough to help keep you from reacting.  Take the antihistamines prior to the event.  Help your partner to understand what is going on and perhaps find ways which may help you to prevent reacting.  

As one of my doctors said to me, this is the most beautiful of events in our lives and you just have to ignore some things so as not to allow it to rob you!  

Pretty sound medical advice if you ask me!!

Lisa

IP Logged

daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/02/11 at 01:56:07

My husband is so kind and caring.  After 3 incidences he stopped making advances.  I think he feels he is being selfish and doesn't want to put me at risk.  It must have been devastating to him to be grilled about; did he use a latex condom, did we use a cream, lotion or birth control that I might have reacted to, etc.  while I was being hooked up to every machine available and dosed up with all kinds of drugs.  There have been so many times when I was completely incapacitated and he was my voice, my advocate.  When I am admitted he will not leave my side and does not let anyone come near me without having them fully explain what they are giving me, how they plan on doing anything.  I know he felt responsible for my reaction but it was NOT his fault.  It's this stupid disease.  
I think the plan to take more H blockers is a fantastic idea.  I'm going to turn the air conditioner on, dose myself up, explain to him that this works for others and lets give it a shot.  I'm going to tell him that he's never given up on me before so don't give up on me now.  We'll figure something out and if we can't beat the disease I will feel like I have some kind of victory if I can at least trick it for a little while.   He knows that it is important to me that this does not define me or my life so perhaps I can talk him out of his fear of “hurting” me and remind him that I have found away to do everything else I really want to and this is just one more bump in the road that I need his help to get around.  Even if something goes wrong, I want this.  I want to feel desirable.  I want to fulfill his desires.  I want to enjoy a moment of closeness where the rest of reality is far from my thoughts and his.  
Thank you ladies, now I have a mission!  I feel better already Grin

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 10/03/11 at 00:28:19

Itīs a shame that this is such a "touchy" subject because itīs one of the very most important as far as our quality of life is concerned!  This is serious stuff!!

Iīve had my husband feel so bad when heīs seen me faint afterwards and it wasnīt even as though I had allowed myself to let go either!  Iīve often held my envolvement back knowing I was "on the edge" so as not to have any trouble.  Thankfully we woman have this ability, but I wonder how it must be for the men, for itīs a very different matter!  Pre-medication is an essential for them I would think.

However, Iīve found that I have much less trouble now that my meds are up to the right levels.  Iīm not only more stable in my day to day activities, but in this area of my life I also have gained more stability.  There are days when I tell my husband that I canīt be too active and he fully respects that.  I never allow myself to get upset or disappointed because I feel no matter how much involvement I get, itīs all good!  My husband never feels any pressure from me as to what I get out of it.  I had a wise friend once say to us when we were getting married, that the goal of marriage is that of out giving of one to the other.  That has stuck with me and Iīve tried to keep this idea throughout my marriage - we both do.  And it applies very well in this situation.   But itīs been very hard for my husband knowing that this activity has made me sick.  But itīs one area of my life where I absolutely refuse to allow it to steal away from me!!  Yet it has caused issues and I even had to undergo a vaginal biopsy looking for mast cells for we thought perhaps this was part of the problem.  We had found a MC hyperplasia in my cervix when I had my hysterectomy.  Having a concentration of MCs anywhere is trouble for us for they will trigger and friction is one of their triggers.   Thankfully there were normal numbers and all normal cells but even then, Iīve had real issues!  Even my gyno is hesitate for he also has triggered me big time when he had to do a vaginal scraping for some testing!   He not only made me immediately faint, but had me so very on the edge from that reaction that the physical process of getting dressed  tipped me back over the edge again that I had an attack right there in his office in front of him!!   I never saw a doctor run for water so fast in my life!  Shocked  My poor doctor the things Iīve put him through!!!!

But you are wise Daowebe to not give up hope!!  If the one dose of meds doesnīt help, try a double dose, that of the H1 and H2 blocker together.  It seems that within the pelvic region the H2 blockers work better, but since this activity gets the blood racing throughout the body, I think that the H1 is more important.  At least this is what Dr. Castells suggested.  She told me Allegra, which is what I take anyway, so this would translate as to the H1 blocker probably being the more important.

Lisa

IP Logged

daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 10/04/11 at 00:41:11

Thank you for all your insight!  
I had some very large tumors in my uterus that had their own blood supply.  I'm thinking that with all that extra blood it may have been making a bad situation worse.  They were unable to remove them because the risk of bleeding to death was too high.  Instead, they used a procedure that blocked off the vessels that were feeding the tumors which caused them to die off.  Very painful and I ended up staying in the recovery room most of my visit, never making it to the ICU until 2 days later.  While this was a horrific experience it made a huge impact on my life when I stopped having to spend over a week a month in bed so in the end it was worth it.  I'm thinking this was making my situation worse.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print