Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My story (Read 1228 times)
Vicky
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

My story
09/29/11 at 16:34:46

[size=12][/size]
Hi my name is Vicky i have been diagnosed with indolent systemic mastocytosis a month ago. Unlike many others my spots began 6 years ago and i ignored it. about a year ago I had my first child and thats when all my syptoms began it started with sever allergies and ithought it was because of the time of year it was march and since i had a c section i thought my immune system was low tring to catch back up after the baby. At this time i was taking zertex it helped some. Later on maybe 4 months later it wasn't working for me anymore, i finally went to a urgent care and they told me it was rispitory infection gave me some antibiotics and more told me to continue the allergy medicine come back in 2 weeks if it didnt get better. I toook all my medicine and still felt bad so i went back and they told me it was a sinus infection gave me some sudafed and told me if it persist to come back, my syptoms were still there by this time i carried a roll of toliet paper every where, my allergies were severe and i had a new born to take care of. i wait a month before i went to another doctor and just like the first one she said i had rispatory infection gave more medicine and sent me on my way. Well this didnt help either i was fustrated and stoped going to the doctors for a while i began to take perscribed medicine for my newphew to get relief.i kept doing this for aout a year. Around march easter time my allergies flared up really bad and i took allergra d, zertex,and ibpropehn tring everything and anything to get releif nothing worked i began to get cold chills and then all of the sudden felt like i was burning up inside without a fever and on top of that my lymph nodes began to swell int he back of my neck. The very next day I couldnt stay awake I felt so weak my mother in law told my fiance he should take me to the urgent care. so we went and here is where i got my first dose of steriods followed by antibiotics, I got better. Two weeks later i lost my voice and my allergy syptoms came back and another lymph node poped up underneath my chin on my neck, i was freaking out and began to goggle lymph nodes and thought i had cancer, so i called another doctor and made an appointment and gave him the run down of all my syptoms by this time my voice was coming back and i told him about my spots he refered my to my dermatologist and t was here that i had a skin biopsy, a week later it came back as urticaria pigmentosa mastocytosis, my doctor said im going to do some blood work just as a precaution and if my trypase was high i would have to do a bone marrow biopsy, by this time my mind was all over i didnnt know how to feel i remember holding back all feelings tring to remember all the information given to me and about an hour later i called my aunt and broke down like a little baby, about three days later i got a call from my derm and he said that my trypase were high and i had to get a bone marrow biopsy asap so we scheduled it and 2 weeks later i got my results and here we are. Now all im worried about is will it progress to aggresive and how long will it be. My bone marrow results was negative for the mutation kit but it did have the ckit but i dint know what this means. I also want to be able to help as much as i can others.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: My story
Reply #1 - 09/30/11 at 15:50:38

Hi Vicky,  Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find a home here with us!!

First, allow me to give you some reasurance - YOU DO NOT HAVE AGGRESSIVE MASTOCYTOSIS!!!  Patients who are diagnosed with aggressive masto end up finding this out RIGHT AWAY!   The disease comes out of hiding already showing its aggressivity and it SCREAMS out at the doctors!!   The CBCs are totally messed up and all over the place and these exams are what clue off the doctors that there is serious disease going on.  The doctors will go searching for the reason usually based upon that.  So, if your doctors arenīt crawling all over you in a frantic manner, DO NOT WORRY, for you donīt have aggressive masto.  Aggressive mastocytosis is VERY OBVIOUS and easy to diagnose and this is obviously not your case, so BE AT PEACE!!

As to your inidolent form going aggressive, it is very rare for that to happen.  Thankfully the great majority of us do not die from mastocytosis, but from something else instead.  So, you can also be at peace for you should live to see your grandchildren!  

Now, I can hear you saying, "but my symptoms are so awful and Iīm reacting to everything and Iīm only getting sicker!  Are you sure this isnīt aggressive masto????"   YES! YES! YES!  IīM 100% CERTAIN!!   The severity of our symptoms to NOT reflect the severity of our disease!  a There are KNOWN cases of aggressive masto where the patient died before they ever knew the patient had aggressive mastocytosis!!  The patient had lived without any kind of serious symptoms and their symptoms were so mild that they never knew that they had an aggressive disease!!    Besides that, there are those who have MCAS, which is a form of masto that does not create quite so much damage to the tissues that SM creates and these patients undergo a great deal more reacting than the SM patients.

So, you canīt judge your disease based upon the severity of your symptoms.  This is purely the outward expression of the allergic nature of the disease and it can be controled by the aggressive use of antihistamines, leukotrine blockers (singulair)  and mast cell stabilizers (cromulyn or Ketotifen).  

If you are going through a lot of reacting Vicky, then your doctors donīt have you properly medicated.  Ask them to speak with either Dr. Castells or Dr. Akin and they can help your doctor bring your meds up to the right levels to return you to an almost normal life.

Remember, masto does have itīs dark side, but in truth, the vast majority of us only have become insanely allergic people.  Itīs liveable, Vicky!  So, thank God that if you had to get a chronic disease that it was masto and not something much worse.  Itīs no fun being insanely allergic, but if thatīs the worst that happens, then itīs not bad at all!!!

I hope this helps you feel some relief!!

Hugs and keep cool!!   YOUīRE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!! Smiley

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print