Send Topic Print
Zyrtec Side Effects?? (Read 2810 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Zyrtec Side Effects??
09/24/11 at 03:28:51

Hello,

I just started to take Zyrtec, and am not sure if I am having side effects from it or if I am coming down with a virus.

I am only taking 2.5 mg per night, if you can believe it, as any more than that makes me feel like I am gong under anesthesia or something!  I have to cut my pill in 1/4.  I take 5 mg of Loratidine in the morning.

So about 30 minutes after taking it, I start to feel nauseated, my eyes get kind of blurry, and I feel like I am going to zonk out.  I really feel "drugged".  I am not sure that this is a normal reaction.  Or, is it just that I have to take some time to adjust to it?  I have tried the liquid form, but that seemed even worse.

Has anyone else ever felt like this if you've taken Zyrtec?  Otherwise, it has cleared up my runny nose... guess that's why I am still giving it a go.  Just wondering if I could be allergic to something in it?  Never heard of anyone being allergic to Zyrtec before.

Not sure though if it is the Zyrtec, as I also have a cold/flu-like symptoms (coughing) and am under a lot of stress right now.

IP Logged

caormiston
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Zyrtec Side Effects??
Reply #1 - 09/24/11 at 13:58:40

I had a very bad reaction to Zyrtec - I stopped taking it after 3 or 4 days, waited a week and tried it again.  I did this several times.  I had the same flu-like reaction each time, plus having a terrible disposition. It took several weeks to feel un-flu-like the last time I tried it.  I googled Zyrtec and found several people had the same reaction - it was especially hard on little children - they became easily upset and angry, as well as not feeling well.  So, you're not the only one!  My dermatologist recommended Claritin, and I've had much better luck with that.

I wish you well in finding something that works well for you.

Candace

IP Logged

kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/27/11 at 12:34:19

Just a thought...I do terrible with new meds at night. Nighttime is reaction time for many of us, I think. I would give the zyrtec a try first thing in the morning and see if you have the same problems.

Good luck!

Kristi

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/27/11 at 23:53:35

When I first started taking zyrtec I had the same thing....really feeling drugged and loopy.  I'm kind of small so zyrtec really hit me hard.  I couldn't even get out of bed the first time I took it.  I stuck with it though and I'm glad I did.  It has helped me a lot.  And I have no clue how I do it but sometimes I take over 20 mg in a day and many times that's mixed with benadryl to stop reactions and I make it through----thanks be to God!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print