Send Topic Print
Smoking meats (Read 2997 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Smoking meats
09/15/11 at 13:28:47

We have a smoker and we will smoke meats from time to time. But I'm wonder if this is safe for me. THe smoke just comes from the natural wood chips they haven't been sooked in anything so the smoke from the chips is what the flavor comes from. If I eat the meat after it's done smoking it should be fine right? Thoughts anyone?
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Smoking meats
Reply #1 - 09/15/11 at 14:59:06

Do you have any pollen allergies?  You might want to be careful about what kinds of wood chips you're using.  Also... are you smoking meat for the flavor, or are you trying to preserve/dry it for later use?  Aged meat is full of histamine, no matter how it's aged.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 09/16/11 at 09:55:24

I have some tree pollen allergies like cedar and birch but the chips we have are hickory and something else. We smoke them for flavor. Most meats hang for weeks.....like beef, I seem to be fine with beef. I guess when I'm feeling good and not so reactive, I will give it a try. I'm thinking if it is fresh meat and we smoke it and eat it right away it should be okay. Smoked chicken is sooooo good.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 09/17/11 at 11:39:42

I don't do well with smoke.  It gives me a headache and makes me feel light headed!!!   I think it triggers me a bit, but I´ve never had any obvious reacting so I´m not sure.  But I do suspect it.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/18/11 at 06:38:38

If you stay away from the smoke while it's smoking, it might be okay.  I eat home-smoked meats occasionally, but I'm careful to have it only when I'm doing pretty well.  

If you're worried that mold is a trigger, you might want to remove the bark from the wood before you use it.  That will eliminate any mold or fungus growing on it.  Store the wood in a dry place, too.  

The temperature inside the smoker has to be very carefully monitored.  If it stays too low for too long, histamine can be produced in the meat.  You can check on the internet to see what temp range is safe.  With chicken, especially, make sure by thermometer that it reaches a completely cooked and safe temperature in the thickest part of the thigh after no more than 2 hours.  I freeze what we won't be using at that meal right away, too.  Smoked meat freezes well.

As with anything you ingest, always a good idea to start with moderation to make sure you won't react.

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 09/18/11 at 11:29:24

Thanks Joan!
Melissa

IP Logged

nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/09/12 at 04:20:34

I don't do well with smoked/processed meats.  I love pizza but become symptomatic for a day or two after eatings.  We have a smoker so we do smoke meats every few months (pork/chicken/vension/sausages.)  I try to make side dishes that I love so as not to miss the "meat" portion of the dinner.  I just don't feel "well" after eating. The symptoms may be mild but they are there,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print