Send Topic Print
Ham???? (Read 4411 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Ham????
09/15/11 at 13:15:55

Is ham a no no? I'm really craving ham lately. It must be the salt.
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Ham????
Reply #1 - 09/15/11 at 14:56:46

I don't eat pork, but even if I did I wouldn't touch ham with a ten-foot pole.  It's aged... it's smoked... and it's often loaded with nitrites to kill bacteria (which kill the bacteria in your GI system too).  Find another source of salt to satisfy your craving!!  I recently bought a little grinder of "Himalayan pink salt."  Kind of spendy, but it's so pretty and it makes my plain, salted rice seem like a treat Wink

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/02/11 at 14:16:11

I just discovered some tasty nitrate free meats.  You can get them at Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

There is one particular apple bacon at Trader Joes that is an especially scrumptious addition to any baked beads!

Be sure to keep them at the proper temperature (can't warm up AT ALL) and use them by the expiration date of course.

I find that they actually test BETTER then the regular processed meats.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/02/11 at 15:55:55

I've eaten the turkey.  Sometimes it was okay, and sometimes not.  If they are pre-cooked, they very likely have a lot higher histamine than fresh meat you cook at home.  I stay away from them now.  Just not worth the possible reaction.

The expiration date on a package of lunch meat refers to an unopened, factory sealed package.  I just read that, once opened, lunch meats should be used within 3-4 days after opening if they were in a factory sealed package.  If bought at the deli and sliced there, then 2-3 days.  As a masto patient, if you must eat them, I would stay with the shortest period of time possible.  

Do check the ingredients for things that could cause a problem, such as curing ingredients or other preservatives.

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #4 - 10/03/11 at 02:08:03

For me, I just stay away from all sandwich meats. For that matter, though, I can't even eat homecooked turkey! Turkey is one of my "go directly to hospital" foods. Thanksgiving is a holiday of only veggies for me!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 10/03/11 at 19:07:10

If you are going to try them go with jbean and joan's advise. The nitrate free/chemical free ones. Make sure to read though, even health food stores carry stuff with crap in it! A lot of these meats have celery juice in them for flavor additive so read read read. Applegate farms is a brand that makes a lot of variety. I think they have at least two different ham versions. The roast beef has pepper in it so that one is out for me. I'm like Joan and can occasionally have the turkey. However I cannot have under any circumstance a turkey that is not chemical free, Phosphates and Nitrates will send me to the hospital asap. It's amazing what can fall under the word "natural" now. So read read read!  and like Joan said, sometimes I just can't do it. I was getting natural breast and cooking it and freezing it. But it seems like I tolerate it so very rarely it's no longer worth the bother. So test but test smartly! I've gotten away with Neiman Ranch nitrate free bacon I think the maple syrup one, not all the time but sometimes. Celery will send me to the ER also, but for some reason I can have the "juice" thats sometimes in these. Again.... that word sometimes. If I juiced a celery it'd put me in the ER, If you tolerate it, wait two weeks then try again. Most Health food lunchmeats are vacuum packed real food unlike the deli counter lunchmeat people think of!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #6 - 12/19/11 at 06:14:55

Sandi, Do you think it is the naturally occuring nitrates that are in celery that set you off. Celery used to make my tongue numb but testing came back negative for allergy to that. I guess they use celery powder and a natural nitrate in a lot of ''natural'' sausages.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print