Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Gastrin Levels (Read 4898 times)
Deb
Rookie

HEDS & MCAS

High Gastrin Levels
09/04/11 at 15:02:11

The doctor is running a number of tests still at the research clinic and one thing came back that has him concerned. My gastrin levels are too high. Hopefully the results will come back soon for some followup tests they did over a week ago for b12 levels and a gastric parietal antibody test. But I was wondering if anyone else here has had high gastrin levels?
thank you,
Deb

WWW debdrake.com  
IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Re: High Gastrin Levels
Reply #1 - 09/05/11 at 05:49:08

Hey Deb...my husabnds gastric levels have never been high but he's been on a Proton Pump Inhibitor (protonix, achipex) for over 10 yrs. Did they get this test result from blood work you had done?

I found this online and the treatment is a PPI and H2

Zollinger–Ellison syndrome is a triad of gastric acid hypersecretion, severe peptic ulceration, and non-beta cell islet tumor of pancreas (gastrinoma). In this syndrome increased levels of the hormone gastrin are produced, causing the stomach to produce excess hydrochloric acid. Often the cause is a tumor (gastrinoma) of the duodenum or pancreas producing the hormone gastrin. Gastrin then causes an excessive production of acid which can lead to peptic ulcers in almost 95% of patients.

Have you had problems with ulcer or hpilori ect? My husband got hpilori 10 yrs ago and have never been able to stop taking his PPI, I've even given him a placebo thinking it was psycho sematic...not severe heartburn would return within 3 days.

Have you had a colonoscopy/endoscopy done?

Patricia

IP Logged

Deb
Rookie

HEDS & MCAS

Reply #2 - 09/06/11 at 14:24:53

Hi! Thank you.
Let's see, I still haven't heard back from the doctor. They like to stress me like that.
I'm not on any medication but I suspect my acid is already too low. I just went to an ENT who says (after going up my nose and down into my throat with a long tube to look) that I have no sign of reflux. That's good but I know I have reflux sometimes, like if I eat dairy, but it doesn't burn. Another reason to think I don't have high acid levels. But I know these things can be tricky so I should try vinegar and see if it helps or hurts. I know if it helps, I have low acid and if it makes me worse I have high acid.
I did have H. Pylori around 1998. They put me on this awful list of antibiotics that started my IBS problems within 3 months. I have been tested since then and it came back negative but it's been some years ago now. I would think it has come back because I don't have the burning in my stomach that I had back then when I had H.P.
I'm not due to have another colonoscopy for another few years.
I think the doctor fears a gastrinoma, especially since I have reactive hypoglycemia too.

WWW debdrake.com  
IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #3 - 09/06/11 at 14:48:50

Waiting for tests is like torture!!!

My husband had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and it took years to clear up...in the back of my head I feel like this had something to do with whats going on now. or maybe one of the things that contributed to his perfect storm!

What happens when you eat dairy? Do you get the runs or heartburn/gerd stuff? Sorry if its too personal a question...Smiley

Hope you get some answers quickly!!!

Patricia

IP Logged

Deb
Rookie

HEDS & MCAS

Reply #4 - 09/06/11 at 18:55:47

If I had known then what I know now I would not have taken those antibiotics. Nature's Sunshine has a program to get rid of H.Pylori with herbs. It takes months but with no side effects I would have been happy with that. Or I would have taken probiotics starting the last day of the antibiotics. But I didn't know about that either.
So the damage is done. I think I had masto before then since I've had POTS since I was about 12 and now it seems EDS too. My guess is that it became manifest in my intestines after the antibiotics through off my bacteria.
As far as dairy, I don't eat much dairy except some organic, raw milk we get at a local farm that we are fortunate to have in our area. But even that sometimes comes back up as easily as it went down. It is not acidic at all. That is the only symptom it causes... I think. I will watch it a little closer to be sure. Corn and soy will cause me to double over in pain if I eat enough of it. I seem to be able to get away with just a little.
I don't mind the personal questions. I'm a naturopath now and talk about bowel movements with people all the time. LOL
These health problems caused me to leave the architecture field and go back to school to learn natural health. I'd always been interested in it but I had to find something and the doctors could find nothing. I was in pain for a solid 5 years before a naturopath told me about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It helped so much because I cut out corn and soy and other foods that don't agree with me.
But this is tough and it's getting worse for me.

WWW debdrake.com  
IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 09/07/11 at 06:20:06

Deb-It's so funny you mentioned SCD. I have had the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" for a couple of years and finally decided to do the diet and be real serious about it. I tend to do better on a grain free diet so this should be easy for me. I often wonder if Leaky Gut is what caused the masto for me. It's hard to believe that I could be reactive to about every dang thing I eat. Always getting itching with-in an hour after eating but seeing improvement in after meal itching once I started taking strong enzymes. Still have daily hives, but after meal itching is way down now. I recently start Ketotifen and have been finding lots of info online about it helping to heal leaky gut.
BTW- I take 300mg of zantac twice daily and also prilosec daily and I still get that hot feeling in my stomach as well as if I happen to bend over I can feel my food coming up the pipe. Seems wrong that this is still going on with all those meds. I think I will ask my doctor about the gastrin level test. Did you happen to read the post I put up on regression of GERD with melatonin? It's a very interesting read. I hope to someday try it but I take so many sedating nighttime meds right now.
Melissa
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print