Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to Board and could use your help (Read 1364 times)
Fran S
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

New to Board and could use your help
09/01/11 at 13:46:18

Hi all, My name is Fran and I have had Masto symptoms for over 14 years. I did much research about 6 yrs ago and self diagnosed. All of the Gasto Docs I had been to and all of the tests I went through were moot. I have tried to get into Dr. Miner's office but he does not take my insurance. Do you have any recommendations for another OKC DR. that might understand this stuff. I feel blessed that I started Allegra and Prevacid 6 yrs ago as a result of my research. When Allegra went OTC it IS NOT the same. I started having symptoms again. If I can't find a Dr. than a few helpful hints would be appreciated.
Thanks

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: New to Board and could use your help
Reply #1 - 09/01/11 at 16:19:03

I used to hear that there was a great allergy/immunology clinic in OKC, but don't remember the name or know if it's still open.

You might want to try some other antihistamines and see if they work better, such as Zyrtec or Xyzal.  You might want to try adding an H2 blocker, such as Zantac (150 mg. twice/day) or Pepcid (20 mg. twice/day) or take one of those in the a.m. and one in the p.m., which is what I do.

If you've started using a generic for Allegra, that could be the problem.  There's some wiggle room as far as generics having to be identical to name brand drugs.  Sometimes, though, antihistamines work for a while and then you need to try a different one.

You can ask your doc about trying some gastrocrom.  It's pretty effective in about 80% of the people who try it for gi tract problems.

If you can post your symptoms, any testing you've had done, and any other conditions you have and/or meds you take, people will give you some ideas.

Are you on the low histamine diet?  If not, here's a link to it:  

http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/pages/lowhistamine.htm

Be religious about it, and you might get some relief.  Good luck!

Joan

IP Logged

Fran S
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New to Board and could use your help
Reply #2 - 09/01/11 at 16:39:28

Thanks Joan
Rx Allegra worked the the best. Today I am upping it to OTC 2 180's a day.
I got so frustrated with my old GI Docs that I have been treating myself. Most of my symptoms are GI related. Last Fri I spent most of the day in the ER with SEVERE abdominal cramping and pain. I need to get a copy of the blood work. I also break out in rashy hives on my hips. I drive for a living and all of the other antihistamines make me sleepy...too dangerous. The ER DR. wanted me to take Zegrid and it totally bombed me out. Zantac did absolutely nothing during that episode. I know that most of the folks here have great Doc's and diagnosis. I have had so much runaround that I am exhausted from trying. I was in a remission for about 4 years and here we go again. I will check out the low histamine diet. The other complication I have is that I have a history of DVT and am on high doses of coumadin. Everything I take affects it's effectiveness. I will check into the Okla City Allergy clinic....supposed to be the best here. BTW today I also got rid of the Zegrid and started on Prevacid. I went to 3 diffrent GI Docs in the late 90's and every known GI test they could think of including a Esophageal Motility, gall bladder removed, sleep study, angiogram, colonoscopy, 3 different endoscopies, upper and lower GI's,  anti depressants, allergy testing...tried glutun free diet, ultrasounds,even PAP's, and of course found nothing wrong. So just thinking about doing all of that all over again makes me crazy to think about!
But....here I go!!! I will have to start all over beginning with my PCP....could be a long road.
I Appreciate your imput  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print