Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
phone call with Dr. Castells? (Read 6356 times)
Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: phone call with Dr. Castells?
Reply #15 - 09/06/11 at 07:24:45

Patricia, I know quite a few people who use minocycline for autoimmune issues. It works better than doxycycline, and can often be taken in low doses for this. I have used it myself, going off for periods of time, back on when needed. It has kept my joints from degenerating, even though I get swelling when I go off for too long. You can read more about the basic protocol at http://www.roadback.org/.

It has been shown to regulate the immune system, repair cartilage, and even keep spinal cord injury patients from deterioration. If you want articles, I have a bunch on my computer, just let me know.

The thing about IL13, is that it is an effect, not a cause. All of the interleukins as well as TNF-alpha and TGF-beta 1 are just responses of the immune system to triggers. It is still not completely understood how they work in the body.

If you can find the trigger, and relieve it, then the ILs and TNFs and other immune chemistry will not be problematic. One picture of how mold can impact the immune system is shown at this http://www.survivingmold.com/docs/biotoxinpathwayritchieshoemakermd.pdf link. He isn't addressing IL13 specifically here, but it gives a simplified picture of how things can go wrong.

It is a hard call whether to try the drugs. You have to weight the possible cost/benefit ratio. How bad are his symptoms? What is the chance the drug will help? What is the chance it will harm? How soon can you expect to see benefit? How long before harm occurs?  Would he have to take it indefinitely? How many patients does the doctor have on this drug? What is her success ratio with the drug?

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #16 - 09/06/11 at 08:07:29

the sad part is my husband seems so stable and hes got some quality of life back...besides the tendon and connective tissue pain. Any reactive issues weve gotten really got at stopping them before it turns into a full blown shock attack.

I had a really good long conversation with Dr Wilson at NIH this am and he was very realistic, reassuring and absolutely no pressure.

We have decided that my husband will go back and they will take blood, separate the baby mast cells and them grow them for 8 weeks. Then they can see how reactive they are to triggers...this might give us a better idea of wether his autoimmune disorders are making his mast cells reactive or the mast cells are triggering the over active immune system.

Its just highly unusual to have elevated tryptase and a neg KIT gene...Hopefully this will help us decide if we should do the enbrelHumira route or the Gleevec route. The Gleevec route is a chemo drug that is taken by pill (for the rest of your life) and will kill or make the mast cells in active. Seems to good to be true, I still havent researched Gleevec and does is anyone else taking gleevec?

Anyway will buy me more time to figure this one out and maybe I am wasting time but his TNF wasnt crazy elevated so we'll take it one step or one drug at a time! JK Im also keeping careful and paranoid vigilance to make sure this inflammation stuff isnt doing irreversible damage.

Thank you all for your wisdom, support and insight!!!

Patricia

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #17 - 09/06/11 at 14:45:14

Hi Patricia!

I'm understanding your quandry here and it's truly hard to figure it all out, isn't it?  

As to the autoimmune markers, I'm right there with you!  We've been investigating my three children.  It looks like my daughter has dodged the bullet!!   Cheesy  Her labs returned with no apparent autoimmune involvement - her previous elevated thyroid T4 and T3 both came back completely NORMAL!  She was with more antibodies to her thyroid than I was and they are now all NORMAL!!  So, that's a wonderful blessing!!  She also is showing no alterations with any kind of autoimmune markers!!!  And best of all, her tryptase came back 1ng!  YIPEEEE!! Cheesy

Yet my two sons are a different ballgame  Sad   Both have some autoimmune markers.  The one who is the elder of the two we have found the MC aggregates within his intestines so we have NO DOUBT that he has masto.  Yet his tryptase is 2.6ng!  He does also have some vague RA markers, but not all of them so he can't be diagnosed with RA.  He also has an elevated ANA which has improved once we put him on ketotifen.   My other son is only beginning his investigation so we've not had a colonoscopy run on him yet.  He's got a raised ANA and has thyroid dificiency and so far, no RA markers.  Yet his tryptase was higher than mine!!  His is 5.5 ng and mine is 4.6ng!!  

What my theories are, and this is what the Harvard geneticists also feel is that with my son's RA markers, it isn't that he has RA and it's triggering the masto, but that he has mastocytosis, yes, but the RA markers show where the masto is causing inflammation.  Dr. Castells had told me a little while ago that they know that MCs are involved in inflammation and the inflammatory processes, but how exactly this occurrs within mastocytosis they are not quite sure.  But in looking at my case versus my elder son's case, my markers are generalized like may younger son's and in my case the biopsies show generalized inflammation throughout my body.  And what we are seeing is that with my son, his inflammation seems to be limited to his connective tissues - but without biopsies this is only what we suspect.  

Yet, masto, although it is a cell involved in inflammation, is not considered an inflammatory disease and this may explain why I don't show any inflammatory markers, and I believe my sons don't either.  The chronic inflammation is present, but it's not an inflammatory disease per se and it behaves differently due to different mechanisms which are behind the inflammation.  

So, this could be what is happening with your husband, Patricia.  Yet here's the problem - THERE IS NO STUDY ON THE AUTOIMMUNE FACTOR!!   NOBODY knows what is going on here with us!!  NOBODY!!   So we patients and even the authorities are totally walking blind for not one study is out there to guide us!!!

Now as to this study, it's certainly interesting and I'll have to write to you about it.  In one of the studies on my and my son's immunohistochemical testing we also showed a negative c-kit!  The pathologist said he wanted to retest this to make certain for he found this HIGHLY unusual!!  

Hmmmmmmm!!   Always a mystery!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #18 - 09/06/11 at 15:17:34

Girlfriend you're speaking my language! or disease!
Dr Wilson said its not common for masto people to have autoimmune disorders...

its one thing to have my husband sick whom I can't imagine living my life without but my children...really??? only one of my daughters has ANA 2.1, the younger one with the peanut allergy, Tryp 20, IgE 2000, elevated eosinophils, asthma

the older one has tryp 28, IgE 250

guess which one is more reactive and suffers from more allergies, GI, sweating...the older one with the better looking blood.

my husbands RA and inflammation markers are normal and I thought any connective tissue/tendonitis pain was from histamine/prostoglandins ect...but I think since IL13 and TNF is elevated that means theres inflammation and the IL13 and IL4 could be making the excessive amounts of IgE's that are triggering the mast cells.

my husbands sister has trip 20, IgE150, ANA 1.4, IL13 &TNF elevated, hashi, raynauds phenomenon, anemia, fatty liver disease

his dad tryp 55, IgE 150, ANA 1.4, gout, RA markers elevated, IL13 & TNF elevated, hashi

urrggg...we went to my husbands orthopedic and he suggested surgery on his tennis elbow...I was like he has problems with 10 other tendons are we just going to operate on every tendon and no my husband wouldn't survive surgery right now...he said I have no idea how to treat your husband its like Im in a dark room and can barely see...I almost felt like giving him the middle finger... how do you think we feel???!!!

Thank you again Lisa!!!!! Huge Hugs!

Patricia

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - 09/07/11 at 02:32:28

kristi wrote on 09/02/11 at 19:30:03:
Thanks for the pointers, Ladies! The phone call went great. She did have some additional testing she wanted my local allergist to do. And she wanted to him to start me on gastrocrom. I'm excited yet nervous I won't tolerate it. I want to start asap while I'm on a prednisone taper for a nasty flare. That should keep me from reacting to it I think.

Patricia, I hope your husband's appointment went well. I appreciate her doing the phone consult first before scheduling an expensive trip to Boston.

Have a nice holiday weekend!

Kristi

Hi Kristi, I understand your reluctance to try Gastrocrom.  Before this I'd only known meds to make things worse because of the many side effects.  My first Zyrtec even made me devastatingly tired and unable to do anything but sleep.  I am very sensitive to meds!

What I've found though is that the side effects from the Gastrocrom were transient and not severe.  I had some insomnia at first for maybe a week and then I had cramping and diarrhea following my Gastrocrom doses for a few weeks.  Now (at about a five weeks of taking it) I don't seem to have any side effects and it's really been helping me stabilize my mast cells and allow my body to handle stresses that it normally would react very poorly to.  

I hope that helps.  If you start it and notice some side effects, I wouldn't assume they are forever side effects if I were you.  I think you'll be happy with it.

Good luck.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - 09/07/11 at 17:07:33

Thank you MastoGem for sharing your experience. I'm happy to hear the side effects aren't too bad and very happy it's helping you stabilize. I still haven't gotten the script and I'm still struggling with some kind of infection that's making me feel horrible so it might be a while before I start.

Patricia, I know the decision to do the enbrel is a hard one and I just wanted to send you a a sympathetic and supportive hug.

Kristi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print